BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Bluetooth Connection (http://www.blackberryforums.com/bluetooth-connection/)
-   -   Using Blackberry Pearl 8100 as a bluetooth modem under vista - explained (http://www.blackberryforums.com/bluetooth-connection/73455-using-blackberry-pearl-8100-bluetooth-modem-under-vista-explained.html)

antineutrino 04-18-2007 12:28 PM

Using Blackberry Pearl 8100 as a bluetooth modem under vista - explained
 
I have searched thru this forum and read a whole bunch of threads on how to set up BB tethering and most of them are very informative. But all the threads I read said that it is not possible to set up bb as a bluetooth modem yet (maybe they were old?)

* I apologize if there is another thread on this, i just could not find one *

Anyway, it is possible. I'll try to explain how.

1. First, set up pairing between your PC (or laptop) and your BB:
Right-click on the bluetooth icon on the taskbar->Open Bluetooth settings->Add...->read instructions and set up a password if you want.
Then look at your phone, it should ask you if you allow this connections, (and for the password.)

2. Make sure you have the latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager (4.2 SP1 as of the time this was written.)
Start it up, go to options -> connection settings, check "Enable bluetooth support," click on configure bluetooth -> add... and add your device.
Then click ok, make sure your phone has bluetooth on.
Your desktop manager should be now "connected" with the BB.

3. Go back to the windows bluetooth settings (step 1.)
Select the device, click Properties -> Services and put a checkmark on "Dial-Up Networking." Windows should be installing the drivers for the BT modem now automatically.


4. Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Phone and Modem options -> Modems, select the Bluetooth modem, click on Properties, then click on "Change settings", wait for the annoying popup, click Allow. Go to Advanced and put this in the field:

** Provider specific from here on ***

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (for T-Mobile. Please search other threads for different providers)

5. Set up a Dial-up connection. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a connection or a network - > Set up a dial-up connection.
Use "Standard modem over Bluetooth link." Phone # for T-mobile is *99#
Username/password are empty.

6. Go back to Control panel -> network and sharing center. Click on "Manage network connections" and right-click->properties on the one that you just created. Click on the modem -> Configure -> Uncheck "Enable hardware flow control" and uncheck "Enable speaker." Click ok.
Go to "Networking Tab", select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties->Advanced and uncheck "Use IP Header Compression"

7. Dial and it should work.

I'm sorry for the format of the how-to but if you are reading this, you have probably tried doing this thing a few times.
I'll try it under linux this weekend. I hope i get some results.

If you have any questions, reply to this thread, I'll be glad to help out.

Daniel

thatsadpanda 04-18-2007 07:40 PM

what type of bluetooth adapter are you using, I have a kensington 2.0 and can only get it running with the widcomm drivers, which the desktop manager is not compatable with so the enable bluetooth option is greyed out.

antineutrino 04-18-2007 08:08 PM

I'm using a dell bluetooth module 355 which uses the widcomm stack. Are you sure you're using Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1?

thatsadpanda 04-19-2007 08:15 AM

Very sure, did a clean uninstall of the 4.2 from tmobile.com/bbupgrade and than installed 4.2 sp1 from blackberry.com

Mike72677 04-19-2007 08:27 AM

I just setup my 8100 Cingular Pearl as a Bluetooth Modem on a Windows 2000 Laptop and didn't even have to install the BB Desktop software. After I paired the phone with the laptop, I just configured the modem init string and edited the Bluetooth Dial-Up Connection that was automatically created when I paired the phone with the laptop. I got abotu 167kb download speed when I ran a test. Bandwidth Speed Test

thatsadpanda 04-19-2007 09:47 AM

well the vista bluetooth drivers are whats hanging me up, im also more concerned about syncing over bluetooth than modem

Kenal0 04-19-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antineutrino (Post 513740)

3. Go back to the windows bluetooth settings (step 1.)
Select the device, click Properties -> Services and put a checkmark on "Dial-Up Networking." Windows should be installing the drivers for the BT modem now automatically.



I do not have a box for dial-up networking as there is no driver to install my 8100 as a peripheral on my computer. When it asks for drivers, I point it to the RIM folder that the desktop manager installs but it does not find a driver.
Kenal0

antineutrino 04-19-2007 04:56 PM

My windows is still asking me for drivers. I never installed them. The thing is that you need to have the blackberry desktop manager running and have it saying that it is connected to you phone (via bluetooth.) Once you have that set up, you will see the "dial-up networking checkbox."

antineutrino 04-19-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsadpanda (Post 514385)
well the vista bluetooth drivers are whats hanging me up, im also more concerned about syncing over bluetooth than modem

I never got that issue solved but everything seems to be working fine.

thatsadpanda 04-19-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antineutrino (Post 514615)
I never got that issue solved but everything seems to be working fine.

Im fine with setting up the blackberry configurations it that the desktop manager s enable bluetooth isalways grayed out

antineutrino 04-19-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsadpanda (Post 514680)
Im fine with setting up the blackberry configurations it that the desktop manager s enable bluetooth isalways grayed out

See maybe it does have something to do with your bluetooth adapter drivers. I would think that the desktop manager uses the windows API to control the bluetooth adapter, but I'm not sure..

smc12 04-24-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antineutrino (Post 513950)
I'm using a dell bluetooth module 355 which uses the widcomm stack. Are you sure you're using Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1?

I also have Dell's 355 and a couple of us are having issues getting it to work with Vista; are you using Vista? If so can you share with us how you were able to get it to work. I'm thinking that there may be more than one part number that Dell re-brands as a 355. Mine is a Broadcomm Model BCM92045MD. Can look at the bottom of your laptop and check to see if you have the same model? If they are different then I'm going back to dell and ask for a new one.

The post with this issue is:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blue...oth-vista.html

Thanks,

Steve

Kenal0 04-24-2007 10:42 PM

My Blackberry Pearl is only installing as a headset. When I go to Desktop Manager, it does not let me connect to the phone via blackberry, it says that it cannot find a device. I am stuck!
Running Vista on a Samsung Q1 with Broadcomm driver.
Kenal0

antineutrino 04-25-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smc12 (Post 519127)
I also have Dell's 355 and a couple of us are having issues getting it to work with Vista; are you using Vista? If so can you share with us how you were able to get it to work. I'm thinking that there may be more than one part number that Dell re-brands as a 355. Mine is a Broadcomm Model BCM92045MD. Can look at the bottom of your laptop and check to see if you have the same model? If they are different then I'm going back to dell and ask for a new one.

The post with this issue is:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blue...oth-vista.html

Thanks,

Steve

Mine is exactly the same model - BCM92045MD. I bought it separately like 2 weeks ago.
And yes, I am using Vista with the original drivers from the dell CD that came with my bluetooth module.
It installed without any problems and it is working.
I will remove the drivers today and reinstall everything to see if i have done anything special that i do not remember and I'll post here.

antineutrino 04-25-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenal0 (Post 519366)
My Blackberry Pearl is only installing as a headset. When I go to Desktop Manager, it does not let me connect to the phone via blackberry, it says that it cannot find a device. I am stuck!
Running Vista on a Samsung Q1 with Broadcomm driver.
Kenal0

Do a hard reset on your phone, go back to Desktop Manager and try again. Then watch your phone - it will ask you if you allow the connection. Click Yes. And it should connect.

antineutrino 04-25-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smc12 (Post 519127)
I also have Dell's 355 and a couple of us are having issues getting it to work with Vista; are you using Vista? If so can you share with us how you were able to get it to work. I'm thinking that there may be more than one part number that Dell re-brands as a 355. Mine is a Broadcomm Model BCM92045MD. Can look at the bottom of your laptop and check to see if you have the same model? If they are different then I'm going back to dell and ask for a new one.

The post with this issue is:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blue...oth-vista.html

Thanks,

Steve

This is the driver you want to use:

Drivers & Downloads

Network: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR), Driver, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Multi Language, Multi System, v.6.0.1.3100&FW216, A00

It's the Vista release. If I put in my service tag (or search by model) to get to the drivers on dell.com, it points me to the wrong version of the 355 - 5.0.* which does not work with vista.
Make sure you install the one above.

Kenal0 04-25-2007 12:16 PM

Well I can connect via bluetooth using the desktop manager so I will continue with the rest of your instructions. So far so good. Thanks for the help.
Kenal0

antineutrino 04-25-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenal0 (Post 519875)
Well I can connect via bluetooth using the desktop manager so I will continue with the rest of your instructions. So far so good. Thanks for the help.
Kenal0

I hope it works... Keep us posted.

Kenal0 04-25-2007 01:48 PM

Well on step 3 I do not get the Dial up Networking option. I have headset and 2 others that were aleady checked but since I cannot install the Dial up networking service, I do not get a bluetooth modem when I go to control Panel.
Kenal0

antineutrino 04-25-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenal0 (Post 519962)
Well on step 3 I do not get the Dial up Networking option. I have headset and 2 others that were aleady checked but since I cannot install the Dial up networking service, I do not get a bluetooth modem when I go to control Panel.
Kenal0

You need to have Desktop Manager opened and connected with the phone via bluetooth. Then you should be able to see the "DUN" option.
If you have it, but still does not work, you can do a hard reset on your phone and maybe restart the computer and try again.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.