BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
theoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rogers customer with question

Please Login to Remove!

I get an "Unknown caller" whenever I get a phone call.

I understand that if the caller is NOT in my address book then I should get the unknown caller message.

Shouldn't I get a name if they are in my addressbook?

Can something be done about this?
Offline  
Old 03-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
greeneink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Model: TOUR
OS: 5.0.0.548
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 114
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a curve and if I have the lock on it will not display a name calling, just a #. If it's unlocked, it will display the name of caller..
Sounds like a setting on your phonebook. But I am guessing.
Offline  
Old 03-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
noelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London ON
Model: 8330
OS: 5.0.0.438
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Are you sure you subscribe to call display? Odd and obvious question, I know. But you'd be surprised to know how many people just think it's "part of the plan".
Offline  
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.199
Carrier: None
Posts: 2,622
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

you need name display to see names and not just numbers


green, to make sure you see the names in your address book when the device is locked... you need to go into options, security options, general settings, and make sure content protection is either off, or if its on, to make sure address book is set to no
Offline  
Old 03-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
theoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelstrom View Post
Are you sure you subscribe to call display? Odd and obvious question, I know. But you'd be surprised to know how many people just think it's "part of the plan".

No I don't subscribe to call display BUT I am NOT foolish enough to think that it's "part of the plan". I did however, think that if a caller IS IN my addressbook that his/her number would show up on display as part of the phone's functionality. If the caller was NOT in my addressbook than I expected a display of "unknown caller".

This was my understanding so therefore I thought it was a setting that could be at fault.
Offline  
Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot
Posts: 1,009
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you don't have call display your phone (cell phone, home phone, blackberry phone) will not know what phone number a call is coming from.

Because it doesn't know what phone number call is coming from, blackberry can't match anything to your address book.

Part of the phone functionality is to take phone number it is told by Rogers call is coming from and match it to address book. Without call display service Rogers won't be telling your blackberry anything.
Offline  
Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
noelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London ON
Model: 8330
OS: 5.0.0.438
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldman View Post
No I don't subscribe to call display BUT I am NOT foolish enough to think that it's "part of the plan". I did however, think that if a caller IS IN my addressbook that his/her number would show up on display as part of the phone's functionality. If the caller was NOT in my addressbook than I expected a display of "unknown caller".

This was my understanding so therefore I thought it was a setting that could be at fault.
Whoah, take it easy my friend, only trying to help.

But the short answer becomes no caller ID, no Address Book matching, as stated above. Rogers will block at the the source, so your BB has nothing to match to.
Offline  
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
theoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelstrom View Post
Whoah, take it easy my friend, only trying to help.

But the short answer becomes no caller ID, no Address Book matching, as stated above. Rogers will block at the the source, so your BB has nothing to match to.
no, no sorry noelstrom - not upset in the slightest.
I'm just trying to work myself so that I am perfectly clear with my question as I must not have been in my first posting.

sorry - and thanks for the help
really
Offline  
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
noelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London ON
Model: 8330
OS: 5.0.0.438
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldman View Post
no, no sorry noelstrom - not upset in the slightest.
I'm just trying to work myself so that I am perfectly clear with my question as I must not have been in my first posting.

sorry - and thanks for the help
really
No worries. Maybe my "Snarky-Radar" was just a little off.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.