BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Carrier Specific Issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/carrier-specific-issues/)
-   -   Sim card for Japan? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/carrier-specific-issues/223592-sim-card-japan.html)

billykaldrich 04-05-2010 12:33 PM

Sim card for Japan?
 
Going to Japan and need phone service while in country. Can I and where do I get a sim card for use ?Thank You

Dubdub 04-05-2010 01:06 PM

Don't think an 8330 will work in Japan since it is CDMA only and doesn't use a SIM card. AFAIK, it is not a "world" phone.

billykaldrich 04-05-2010 02:10 PM

Old profile
 
I stand corrected. new phone and provider

Dubdub 04-05-2010 02:24 PM

Makes a big difference.

Use the SEARCH feature and look for "JAPAN". Been a lot of threads about it. In any case you will need to have the device unlocked before using any local SIM. Here is a link to get you started: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-cingular.html

Previously there was very limited US BB connectivity in Japan since they use different frequencies. With the newer devices (9000 included) and some add on capability by some Japanese providers, there has been better connectivity. I have not kept up with it as it is constantly changing and I no longer travel there and therefore have no need.

billykaldrich 04-05-2010 05:45 PM

Thank You.

dc/dc 04-06-2010 12:17 AM

T-Mobile with the 9700 is the best choice for world travel (including Japan) in my opinion.

the-economist 04-06-2010 01:30 AM

Roaming on a 9000 in Japan works just fine. Docomo's coverage is TRULY exceptional throughout the country even on remote locations up the mountains or below sea level. Sadly data coverage is patchy at places with docomo. Personally i prefer camping with Softbank.

I'm on a world roaming plan so i don't really know where to get sim cards. if you're interested in prepaid plans there are a few kiosks in Narita Airport that sell prepaid phones or short term plans. KDDI Group, docomo, softbank, mobel, temco, digitel all have presence in the terminal to name a few. A lot of offices that rent an already activated used handset with a plan ready to go can also be found there.

I believe Softbank offers 3G simcards but i'm not aware if BB plans are available for them. They usually only need to have a look of your passport and the municipality registration card (gaikokujin toroku) usually helps for people that don't hold other forms of identification in the country.

CDMA is of course out of the question but an unlocked 3G GSM handset should work just fine. I've even roamed in the past with a 8703 with no problems at all with BB service.

rambo47 04-06-2010 08:56 PM

The 8703 is the model I hear most often mentioned as successfully working in Japan. (y)

Dubdub 04-06-2010 09:02 PM

And the 8707 if you can find one.

kurichan 04-07-2010 12:16 AM

Pretty sure the AT&T 9000 roams in Japan - check with your carrier.

You can rent a SIM card that works on DoCoMo's network while in Japan for about $20/day. Check online. Don't forget that you might need to unlock your phone.

Many SIM rental companies also provide Blackberry service and will send you the SIM before your departure so others will know your number while there.

You can also rent a phone at Narita - there are several stands that provide the service, but then you won't have the number until you arrive.

I go to Japan 6x+ times a year, so I own a pre-paid from Softbank which works great for me, but you need to have a Japan address to buy a pre-paid.

kurichan 04-07-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1590900)
The 8703 is the model I hear most often mentioned as successfully working in Japan. (y)

8703 doesn't work in Japan.

the-economist 04-07-2010 01:39 AM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurichan
Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1590900)
The 8703 is the model I hear most often mentioned as successfully working in Japan. (y)

8703 doesn't work in Japan.

It does.

dc/dc 04-07-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1590977)
Wirelessly posted



It does.

How do you know? The 8703 wasn't even sold in the UK.

the-economist 04-07-2010 09:01 AM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc
Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist



It does.



How do you know? The 8703 wasn't even sold in the UK.

What does the UK have to do with any of this? We're talking about Japan.

dc/dc 04-07-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1591065)
Wirelessly posted



What does the UK have to do with any of this? We're talking about Japan.

Everything. The 8703e was a North American device that operated on CDMA 1xEVDO 850/1900 only. Being that you are not from NA, I'm 99% certain you've never used one, and thus wouldn't know whether or not it worked in Japan.

That said, while the device does partially work (voice and SMS only, no data), it's a very old device and not even close to being the best choice for roaming in Japan. As we've already established, 3GSM devices such as the 9000, 95XX, 96XX, and 9700 are the best choices, and from my experiences in Osaka and Tokyo, both NTT DoCoMo or SoftBank are about the same in service quality.

the-economist 04-07-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1591179)
Everything. The 8703e was a North American device that operated on CDMA 1xEVDO 850/1900 only. Being that you are not from NA, I'm 99% certain you've never used one, and thus wouldn't know whether or not it worked in Japan.

It's almost ridiculous the things you read in here at times. How on earth you know where i'm from and what i've touched? I'm just stationed in the UK.

Quote:

That said, while the device does partially work (voice and SMS only, no data), it's a very old device and not even close to being the best choice for roaming in Japan.
Nobody claimed it to be the best choice. Read the posts again.

Quote:

As we've already established, 3GSM devices such as the 9000, 95XX, 96XX, and 9700 are the best choices, and from my experiences in Osaka and Tokyo, both NTT DoCoMo or SoftBank are about the same in service quality.
Thats your personal experience. glad you shared it with the rest of us. Appreciated. MY experience is that a corporate 8707H supplied directly by JCR and activated directly by the NTT rep in the middle on shinjuku on the 12th floor had zero to 1 bars reception. And things didn't change much when i tried again on another visit with a Bold. So, glad it worked for you, didn't work for the rest of us. docomo's VOICE coverage is exceptional, not data. If docomo works better for you so be it. Camp with docomo next time you're in Nippon, no biggie.

As for the 8703 not working in Japan docomo actually LAUNCHED the Blackberry service in Japan with the 8703. And since i'm away from home to post the pixorz of the docomo girlies this link would do for now:

NTT DoCoMo launching BIS in Japan | BlackBerry Cool

ps: Please stop being a prick. I do like you and i get messages from mods not to reply to your posts. Work with me on this, please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

dc/dc 04-08-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1591213)
Thats your personal experience. glad you shared it with the rest of us. Appreciated. MY experience is that a corporate 8707H supplied directly by JCR and activated directly by the NTT rep in the middle on shinjuku on the 12th floor had zero to 1 bars reception. And things didn't change much when i tried again on another visit with a Bold. So, glad it worked for you, didn't work for the rest of us. docomo's VOICE coverage is exceptional, not data. If docomo works better for you so be it. Camp with docomo next time you're in Nippon, no biggie.

As for the 8703 not working in Japan docomo actually LAUNCHED the Blackberry service in Japan with the 8703. And since i'm away from home to post the pixorz of the docomo girlies this link would do for now:

NTT DoCoMo launching BIS in Japan | BlackBerry Cool

ps: Please stop being a prick. I do like you and i get messages from mods not to reply to your posts. Work with me on this, please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

DoCoMo launched service with the 8707h, NOT the 8703. They're NOT the same device.

the-economist 04-08-2010 02:09 AM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc
Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1591213)
Thats your personal experience. glad you shared it with the rest of us. Appreciated. MY experience is that a corporate 8707H supplied directly by JCR and activated directly by the NTT rep in the middle on shinjuku on the 12th floor had zero to 1 bars reception. And things didn't change much when i tried again on another visit with a Bold. So, glad it worked for you, didn't work for the rest of us. docomo's VOICE coverage is exceptional, not data. If docomo works better for you so be it. Camp with docomo next time you're in Nippon, no biggie.

As for the 8703 not working in Japan docomo actually LAUNCHED the Blackberry service in Japan with the 8703. And since i'm away from home to post the pixorz of the docomo girlies this link would do for now:

NTT DoCoMo launching BIS in Japan | BlackBerry Cool

ps: Please stop being a prick. I do like you and i get messages from mods not to reply to your posts. Work with me on this, please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

DoCoMo launched service with the 8707h, NOT the 8703. They're NOT the same device.

I won't entertain you anymore. You're just trolling.

Have fun.

dc/dc 04-08-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1591449)
Wirelessly posted



I won't entertain you anymore. You're just trolling.

Have fun.

You weren't entertaining me anyway, and at nearly 9000 posts, I'm far from a troll, but that's neither here nor there. We've taken this far from the original topic that thankfully has been adequately answered, and for that I apologize to the OP.

If you want to discuss CDMA devices in Japan (or even why the sky is blue), I'll likely be at the Egyptair business class lounges in DXB and CAI, and some other Star Alliance airline's business class lounge in JFK in late June.

XOXO

the-economist 04-08-2010 02:55 PM

Wirelessly posted

Sure, JFK is scheduled for early December so no can do for June.
Dubai is absolutely no problem. msg me your itinerary.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.