Hi! First post and fist time BlackBerry user.
I've got an 8350 Curve. I've had it for three days and it is awesome.
My carrier is Iusacell, a mexican company; but please bear with me I am in genuine confusion.
My plan allows for "500MB of 3G", that's how they call it.
Issue is this: I've got mixed messages from the sales people because, in my experience, that these people never actually know what they're talking about and most of them don't even have a data plan so they repeat what they understood from what they've been told. Not much help at all!
- "You can browse and do anything without limit using your BlackBerry. The 500MB cap applies to tethering only"
- "There is no limit on the amount of "BIS which includes emails, IM, and 'social networking stuff'"; but any kind of browsing is limited to 500 MB, including tethering"
- "Everything is capped at 500 MB except for BIS"
I just chose to go for it and get the 500 MB plan.
A friend of mine has a 300 MB plan and says he's never went over in 6 months. He maybe doesn't use it that much.
Now here are the questions:
- Which of those 3 versions makes any sense to you or is like a plan you know?
- From experimenting I've noticed that browsing goes through a "BIS" proxy. I undestand then that navigation is a BIS service too thus not within what they call the "3G" service?
- I bought IM+, have the GMail app, Google Maps with Latitude and Opera. Are these apps within what salesman called "BIS which includes emails, IM, and 'social networking stuff'"?
- Is 500 MB too little? I browse daily but not a lot and I'm constantly connected to GMail and IM+ with 3 or 4 accounts and use Google Maps often because I like the novelty.
Actually I'm just trying to use it as much as I can to see when I'll reach the cap and figure it out; just not using tethering at all yet. My carrier has a website where I can see how much I've transferred but I think it's unreliable: it says I've used 15 MB in two days and I downloaded two podcasts of 19 each to begin with.
Anyway. Hope some of you takes interest in my questions and thank you very much.