BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Developer Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/)
-   -   Web Development on BB (http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/171890-web-development-bb.html)

KOMPASTV 01-22-2009 01:54 AM

Web Development on BB
 
Dear All,

I have website called kompas-tv.com which is basically Video Streaming web site for News and Information in Indonesian language hosted at our own server in Indonesia..

With the popularity of BB, I am planning to have the web service available on BB. Hoever, I have NOT done anything with Blackberry so far.

I have seen applications on BB such as the Associated Press on Blackberry applications. I would like to built such applications with less feature. Basically have all of the menu-ing on the device and once in a while sent my rss feed of latest updated news to members that have registered on the service.

I have sent email to Blackberry, but so far have not received any response.

Can anyone on this FORUM help me point to the right directions ?

=====
Dear BLACKBERRY,

- Technical Department
- Applications for Blackberry



First of all we would like to thank you very much for your interest in reading this email.
With this email, I would like to take the opportunity to introduce ourselves.


SDM is fully responsible for the following Video-On-Demand web sites under the supervision of KOMPAS.COM :

* Kompas-TV.com (Indonesian General News & Information on Audio & Video)
* seleb.tv (Indonesian General Entertainment & Infotainment on Audio & Video)
* videoku.tv VIDEOKU.TV :: On Line Indonesian Social Networking, News, Information & Infotainment on Video Streaming (Sandika Digital Media) (Indonesian Community & User Submitted files Audio & Video)

SDM produces :

* 40-50 new video clips for Kompas-TV.com, (On general News and Information)
* 25-30 new video clips for Seleb.TV. (On Indonesian Celebrities and gossip))

We also have have 15 Video Stringer who usually sent us 10-15 videos (Citizen Journalism) everyday.

* All of the video clips are 2 minutes to 3 minutes maximum, formatted in FLV video format, with Indonesian Text as well as dubbing in Indonesian language.
* Finished Video Clips, are dubbing with voice over are in Indonesian language
* We still retain the NATURAL Sound video clips
* Finished Video clips are encoded in FLash Video format (FLV) at 96kbps, 156kbps 256kbps
* We can encode into different format if needed.


Exisiting Facts :

1. We are news & publishing company, as well as the CONTENT Owner / Provider who develop and manage our own web-site
2. All of our contents for each web-site, are rank top 25 in Indonesia. Then again this comparison are against traditional web site that employ text only and pictures.
3. We believe we are the # 1 web site that produce contents only on VIDEO STREAMING in Indonesia, and therefore we think that this contents would have markets in Blackberry users.
4. We are planning to have most of our contents from each site to be available on BlackBerry Devices.
5. We are planning to built 3 applications on Blackberry such as : Seleb Infotainment, Kompas News, Kompas Entertainment
6. We developed the Web Applications in 2008. Basically all of the design on the existing web site are quite simple, that is why we plan to have all 3 web-sites on BB.
7. We already use RSS to send latest contents to other media
8. We have develop applications for other Mobile such as Nokia, Apple I-POD
9. Having said that, basically the aps on mobile are the mini version of the web-site that we have, because people needs to connect to internet and point the browser to our mobile sub-domain.
10. --
11. NOW, with the appointment of BB distributors in Indonesia just for that last 6 months, already shows significant penetration. Other mobile hand-set device already re-arrange and some are cancelling their launching of the new device because of the Black Berry device.
12. At the moment, BB in Indonesia is mainly used chatting between BB and Facebook only.
13. There are limited aps for Indonesian contents, and most of the contents are like pointing the browser to a specific web page for mobile
14. Viewing contents which are coming out of Indonesia, would create problems, as the Telco Operators sometimes do not have good intenational connections.
15. Having said that, means that applications that I want to built has to be hosted on Indonesian local loop IP, so that the subscribers can connect to the local internaet access and enjoy our video contents.
16. My main goals are for Indonesian viewers only, as the BB device would be a killer device in Indonesia.
17. As all my contents are about videos along with text, I want the apps to be able to play our video (I can do any video format if needed)
18. --
19. I have been in contact with one of your developer such as freerangeinc.com, but it seems that we can not afford the cost of the apps development

===

Our Questions :

1. In regards with being able to view all of our contents from BB ===
2. I am planning to built BB aps such as the one used by Associated Press, in which most of the menus are already stores on the BB device, so that the device only needs to get the contents itself, and NOT the whole menu
3. How would the programming on Nokia/Apple be different with what we are planning to built for the BB
4. Is the applications that I am planning to build has to be hosted on the RIM server, or it can be hosted at the same server for our WEB, DBASE, File Server etc ?
5. What are needed on my server side to cater such applications that I am planning to built ?
6. What is the BlackBerry® Mobile Data System ?
1. What is the requirements of OS for the BlackBerry® Mobile Data System Server ?
2. Does the following software included in the Mobile Data System ? BlackBerry MDS Services, BlackBerry MDS Developer Tools, BlackBerry MDS Device Software
3. Do we need all of the 3 products to develop applications so that it can achieve what we wanted to ?
4. Where can we get these applications, and how much would it cost us ?


I thank you very much for your time and patience in guiding me to select applications software that would enable me to develop applications on Blackberry device.



Regards,


Priandhi Satria
=====

dels 01-24-2009 03:02 AM

"senang bisa ngobrol sesama org indonesia disini"

Quote:

1. In regards with being able to view all of our contents from BB ===
2. I am planning to built BB aps such as the one used by Associated Press, in which most of the menus are already stores on the BB device, so that the device only needs to get the contents itself, and NOT the whole menu
3. How would the programming on Nokia/Apple be different with what we are planning to built for the BB
4. Is the applications that I am planning to build has to be hosted on the RIM server, or it can be hosted at the same server for our WEB, DBASE, File Server etc ?
5. What are needed on my server side to cater such applications that I am planning to built ?
6. What is the BlackBerry® Mobile Data System ?
2. have to create Java app and directly embed web browser into the app or you can create app that run webbrowser everytime user select the menu, btw why didn't you use the main menu from your web application?
3. it's depend on your programming language... RIM support only Java development for creating such application while Symbian platform offer programming on Java (Midlet), Symbian C++, Python (PyS60), etc
if what you mean was web application, RIM webbrowser was so awfull, many Javascript code would not run and CSS is only at level 1.x except for new breed device such as Storm
4. if it was web application you can deploy it on your own (company) server, if it an application then it have to install on devices
5. most likely what you already have for your web application (website now), such as database (mysql/mssql/oracle), programming language (php/asp/jsp) and server application (iis/apache/tomcat)
6. it was one of the RIM BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) component for accessing data from another server

Quote:

1. What is the requirements of OS for the BlackBerry® Mobile Data System Server ?
2. Does the following software included in the Mobile Data System ? BlackBerry MDS Services, BlackBerry MDS Developer Tools, BlackBerry MDS Device Software
3. Do we need all of the 3 products to develop applications so that it can achieve what we wanted to ?
4. Where can we get these applications, and how much would it cost us ?
luckily GSM provider such as Telkomsel, Indosat, XL already have BES so you didn't really need to deploy it yourself, as the requirement for creating application i suggest you begin to download Blackberry Device Simulator + MDS & ESS Simulator

PS: you can't always email RIM since they have another priorities on email (such as bug report, sales service, etc) so please post your question on official Blackberry forum located here:
BlackBerry Support Community Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

sure many people will start to reply your question

dels 01-24-2009 03:04 AM

also after you download the simulator (device and MDS) you can test open some website such as m.google.com from device simulator

KOMPASTV 01-26-2009 06:41 AM

Application Development
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dels (Post 1258350)
"senang bisa ngobrol sesama org indonesia disini"
2. have to create Java app and directly embed web browser into the app or you can create app that run webbrowser everytime user select the menu, btw why didn't you use the main menu from your web application?

WOW, thank you very much....(y)

have you seen the Associated Press for Blackberry ?
it seem that the whole menuing are IN THE Blackberry itself, and when you activate the apps, it connects to the server and retrieve the DATA ONLY.

Seem it is faster this way, rather than browsing to a mobile site, and still download all of the HTML, etc....
Quote:

3. it's depend on your programming language... RIM support only Java development for creating such application while Symbian platform offer programming on Java (Midlet), Symbian C++, Python (PyS60), etc
if what you mean was web application, RIM webbrowser was so awfull, many Javascript code would not run and CSS is only at level 1.x except for new breed device such as Storm
4. if it was web application you can deploy it on your own (company) server, if it an application then it have to install on devices
5. most likely what you already have for your web application (website now), such as database (mysql/mssql/oracle), programming language (php/asp/jsp) and server application (iis/apache/tomcat)
3. I do not know about the Browser, but Asscosiated press makes their own menuing on the BlackBerry.
A questions to you..., does the Associated Press use browser to download the date, or since it is an applications that resides on blackberry, then it does not need any browser at all ?

4. So basially, I think it is a black berry applications, that connect to a server/web server and retrieve the last 10 latest data (by RSS feeds is possible) and display it within their applications.

5. Yes, we have all of the apps that you mention...


Quote:

6. it was one of the RIM BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) component for accessing data from another server
6. So, Do we need to have one to create a program to be downloaded by Blackberry users ?
If the applications is downloaded, then does it connect directly to the telkom server and our server directly, or does it goes out of the country first ?

We did trace incoming IP from Blackberry browser, and it always showns IP from Out of Indonesia. Why is it so ?


Sent you PM of my contact detail, please give me a call if possible

andd64 01-31-2009 09:49 PM

i took a look at the "AP" app. How is that made? do they use svg, swing, what? Or is it just simple java?

dels 02-01-2009 07:32 PM

And yeah the thread was grown little different now,

First time he ask about web development on BB, and now he turn to create application like APNews (apnews.com) which was web service client type application :D, then this thread need a new title up there LOL

KOMPASTV 02-03-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dels (Post 1267864)
And yeah the thread was grown little different now,

First time he ask about web development on BB, and now he turn to create application like APNews (apnews.com) which was web service client type application :D, then this thread need a new title up there LOL

Del,

In my original questions # 2
"2. I am planning to built BB aps such as the one used by Associated Press, in which most of the menus are already stores on the BB device, so that the device only needs to get the contents itself, and NOT the whole menu"

I was referring to AP from the beginning, and the questions is still about HOW TO built such kind of apps...

Please help...

kamala 05-13-2009 06:18 AM

hai all,
 
me too trying to create an application totally similar to ap news.
my ui is like this,

have a title, a listfield and the status bar.

my list has image on the left and two labelfields on the right



-----------------------------------------

img labelfield

labelfield

-----------------------------------------

I have button on the status bar to push different screens.till now i was using only static img and labelfields with all alignment.

now my issue is create a table (parse a xml file given by the client) and occupy the table rows and columns with those values.



now i must use this table row values (url) in the place of image and label fields on my listfield so that i get latest news through it.



any help wht db to use


kamala


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.