After reading all I can find (api docs, forum, kb, guides, web search), I still have lots of questions about the BlackBerry file system:
- Are store/ and SDCard/ the name of the internal memory and SD card roots on all BlackBerry devices?
- JSR 75 leaves open the issue of whether an application sees virtual roots that are private to itself or whether all applications share the same roots. How does it work on BBs? I've seen many examples where path names start with "/store/home/user/app_name/" or "/SDCard/BlackBerry/app_name/". Is this necessary or can my application just use "/store/" or "/SDCard/" and add the file name? If the former, are there best practices documented anywhere to handle collisions among app names?
- If files are visible across applications, are there any security layers available to protect data (I'm thinking about something analogous to how a PersistentObject can be wrapped in a ControlledAccess object when using the PersistentStore) or do we have to roll our own?
- I read somewhere that store/ is not available when a device is connected via usb and mass storage is active. Is this and other information like this documented somewhere?
- Can IT policies restrict how an application uses FileConnection, particularly for store/ and SDCard/? If so, is there any guidance available about common restrictions that developers should be aware of when writing apps for general use?
- What restrictions are there on file names (allowed characters, length, etc.)?
I've posted these questions twice in the support forum at blackberry.com, but no answers. Maybe someone here knows!