BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default losing connection through MDS Simulator

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I've been developing on Java on eclipse for Blackberry and using MDS Simulator to connect to the internet, until not a while ago I had no problems.
lately I've been having connection problems.
I was starting the MDS, then start the BB simulator (doesn't matter what version), I do get a connection, but the next time I try to connect I am unable to connect. I do see the connection request in the MDS, but I still can't get out.
only restarting the MDS and BB simulator after that will enable me to connect, and of course the next time I restart the BB simulator again I am unable to connect.
this problem makes developing for the BB excruciating.
please help!

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt MDS_log.txt (36.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by yarivb20 : 07-06-2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: attached the log of the MDS server.
Offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Anidamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That happened to me very often, the MDS connectivity was just awful for some reason. In the end I just added ";deviceside=true" to the connection URL while I was developing the app and removed it when it was time to deploy it on an actual device, that way I could just bypass the damn MDS simulator altogether.

Last edited by Anidamo : 07-11-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anidamo View Post
That happened to me very often, the MDS connectivity was just awful for some reason. In the end I just added ";deviceside=true" to the connection URL while I was developing the app and removed it when it was time to deploy it on an actual device, that way I could just bypass the damn MDS simulator altogether.
thank you, i'll try it
Offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can connect without using this MDS Simulator.
you can say it solved my problem.
thanks again.
Offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Anidamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No problem. Just remember to remove it from the url when you're releasing the app for use on an actual device because otherwise the app may not connect on some carriers.
Offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,644
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Anidamo,

"may not connect on some carriers" should be revised to say "will not connect on most carriers".

Most carriers will require either APN or WAP Gateway info along with this "deviceside=true".

No parameter at all will mostly only work on a device that is connected to a BES.

See this article:

Livelink - Redirection
Offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Anidamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ahh, didn't know that. My Storm-only app has no parameters added to the query and it works fine on Verizon and all Canadian carriers. I've had reports from users in Europe and one with an unlocked Storm on T-Mo who say that they get an exception regarding missing APN info when my app tries to connect, but I don't know what to do to fix that. I've heard about BIS-B or Public MDS but apparently you need to be an BlackBerry alliance partner to utilize that?

Last edited by Anidamo : 07-12-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well I removed the ";deviceside=true", it was only making more problems then solving, request came in bad randomly.
but the problem is solved, BB was saving the session ID even when a new session was established, and that prevented it from creating a new session on the server, as opposite to other devices.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.