BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Claro
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Incorrect display of Russian characters

Please Login to Remove!

I want to localize my application to several languages. One of them is Russian.
I was looking at the rrc russian file in LocalizationDemo found in the Blackberry samples. The values of each key is a Unicode string.
I changed the file and stored the key´s value with the actual string in russian and save it as UTF-8. When I run the simulator the characters are not shown properly. The same is happening with accents in Spanish ?
Any ideas ?
Tks
Offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, BW
Model: -
PIN: N/A
Carrier: -
Posts: 310
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Are you sure your Blackberry has the fonts to display them? I guess the old 7100T not. Which device, which OS, which languages installed?
__________________
Blessed is the end user who expects nothing, for he/she will not be disappointed. (Franklin's Rule)
Offline  
Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Claro
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tks for your response. I solved the problem for now. It seems that the localization files should contain Unicode characters for characters other than ASCII. I needed to pass those files into a server with the UTF-8 encoding. I just made a java app to parse the file and convert the \uxxxx for the UTF-8 representation.
The characters are being shown correctly in the device only if I use \uxxxx format.
Offline  




Copyright © 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.