Much thanks if anyone can help with this. Here goes...
Installation method: Blackberry Desktop Manager / Application Loader
BB experience: NEWBIE
I'm trying to get started with development for Blackberries. I've downloaded the JDE and some sample applications (namely "Hello World") from RIM's website. The application runs fine from the JDE, but it doesn't work when I try to run it on the actual device. In fact it messes up* my whole device when I try to run it. I've got the device un-"messed up" but each time I try to reload it, it "messes up" the device again.
I haven't successfully installed any JDE-built applications to the actual device, so I'm sure I'm just missing a step or something like that.
I've tried to follow the Distribution instructions in the Blackberry Development Guide. Here's what I'm doing:
1) Download the HelloWorld.zip and unzip it.
2) Open the JDE, and then open the workspace Helloworld.jdw.
[The project Helloworld.jdp opens automatically].
3) Open the Helloworld.java
4) Request Signatures (under Build menu) [even though no signatures are really needed for this app].
5) Project | Generate ALX file.
At this point, I can "Build All and Run" under the "Build" menu. Application works nice- and-purdy-like in the simulator which automatically opens from the JDE. So I try to install it on the device...
6) Connect the device via the USB cable.
7) Open the BB Desktop Manager, and then the Application Loader inside.
8) "Welcome to the Application Loader Wizard". Next.
9) Check the "Detect Communication Port" checkbox, and it auto detects the port. Next
10) "Device Application Selection" screen shows everything checked except for my new "Helloworld" app. I click the "Add" button and the "Open" dialog box shows my new Helloworld.ALX. I select it and then click next.
11) "Completing the Application Loader Wizard" form appears and tells me that the "Hello World" application will be installed or updated. I click finish.
12) The Application Loader goes through a series of check marks and progress bars, eventually ending with a new form: "The loading operation was successful" - "Your device's software has been updated successfully". I click close.
13) Now the screen on my Blackberry device displays a spinning hourglass, and blinks on and off for about 2 minutes. But eventually it does indeed appear to load the application on the actual device and stops the spinning and blinking.
14) So now I have my pretty new Helloworld application sitting under the Applications "folder" on my blackberry. The blackberry seems to be working fine at this point.
15) But when I thumb-wheel to the application and click it to start it, the blackberry goes to the "messed up" state (Spinning hourglass with a blinking on and off screen). It seems to stay in the messed up state indefinitely, even over-night. Until I reload the OS via the Desktop manager.
So that's my problem. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something really stupid and obvious. Maybe skipping an important step, or something like that. Can anyone help me out here? Again, much thanks and salutations in advance if you can.
* When I say "messes up", I mean that the dreaded spinning hourglass appears, along with the screen blinking on and off. This "messed up" state can not be fixed by a soft reset nor a hard reset, but by reloading everything EXCEPT the "Hello World" application via the BB Desktop Manager / Application Loader. Sometimes it seems to require downloading and reloading the "OS" to fix it.