BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   Developer Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/)
-   -   java.lang.error on BlackBerry 8800 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/85728-java-lang-error-blackberry-8800-a.html)

jan.g 07-13-2007 04:41 AM

java.lang.error on BlackBerry 8800
 
Hi,

I'am having a weird error on two Blackberrys of our customers. They both use 8800s with RIM OS 4.2.1.73. Whenever they try to launch our applictation they get an "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.error", which is not a very specific error message.

I then got the log messages using ALT+lglg. Here is it:

Name: Error
GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498
Zeit: Jul. 12, 2007 12:20:44
No detail message
net_rim_cldc
PersistentStore
getPersistentObject
0x9405

It seems the application always crashes the first time it trys to access the persistent store. Notice this is not due to application permissions, where it would say "Application Control assertIPCAllowed". We already ruled that out.

The application seems to run just fine on their 8700s, which are on the same BES. And there are also no problems on our 8800s, which use the same RIM OS version.

So as you see its pretty confusing, I checked for incompatible third party apps, but thats not the case, since our application is the only third party application on the phones. Also language settings seem to be alright too, I heard that might cause the error.

At first I thought the 8800 of our customer is just broken, but now two devices show the same behaviour.

Any advice?

Dawg 07-13-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan.g (Post 599148)
Hi,

I'am having a weird error on two Blackberrys of our customers. They both use 8800s with RIM OS 4.2.1.73. Whenever they try to launch our applictation they get an "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.error", which is not a very specific error message.

I then got the log messages using ALT+lglg. Here is it:

Name: Error
GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498
Zeit: Jul. 12, 2007 12:20:44
No detail message
net_rim_cldc
PersistentStore
getPersistentObject
0x9405

It seems the application always crashes the first time it trys to access the persistent store. Notice this is not due to application permissions, where it would say "Application Control assertIPCAllowed". We already ruled that out.

The application seems to run just fine on their 8700s, which are on the same BES. And there are also no problems on our 8800s, which use the same RIM OS version.

So as you see its pretty confusing, I checked for incompatible third party apps, but thats not the case, since our application is the only third party application on the phones. Also language settings seem to be alright too, I heard that might cause the error.

At first I thought the 8800 of our customer is just broken, but now two devices show the same behaviour.

Any advice?

it happens mostly after deletion of a program. Where I have seen it happen quite frequently is if they delete memo pad or tasks

jan.g 07-13-2007 08:43 AM

Hi Dawg, we already tried this on a 8800, where we installed a fresh RIM OS. No modification where made, still the same error.

Dawg 07-13-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan.g (Post 599235)
Hi Dawg, we already tried this on a 8800, where we installed a fresh RIM OS. No modification where made, still the same error.

what apps are you running it could be a bad app

jan.g 07-13-2007 12:22 PM

Well there're no third party apps on the device besides ours, and our application should be stable and pretty much bug-free by now. It has been in development for a long time and there are plenty of devices (7290, 8700, Pearls and 8800s), where it runs smoothly.

We even found an 8800 with the same RIM OS Version and no error occured. Which lets me think this might be BES specific, but why would it then work on the 8700s and not 8800s?

Don't know I'm starting to believe both 8800 devices are coincidencely broken somehow :smile:

Dawg 07-13-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan.g (Post 599504)
Well there're no third party apps on the device besides ours, and our application should be stable and pretty much bug-free by now. It has been in development for a long time and there are plenty of devices (7290, 8700, Pearls and 8800s), where it runs smoothly.

We even found an 8800 with the same RIM OS Version and no error occured. Which lets me think this might be BES specific, but why would it then work on the 8700s and not 8800s?

Don't know I'm starting to believe both 8800 devices are coincidencely broken somehow :smile:


Im am sorry then I am out of ideas.

jan.g 07-17-2007 04:10 AM

Hi,

we finally resovled the issue. Turned out to be some wrong settings in the BES policies. What still confuses me why it then only showed up on 8800s and not the other devices.

eekman 12-20-2007 09:08 AM

What options did you change on the BES. We're experiencing the same problem with our Bloomberg application that get pushed out to the BB's.

Thanks.

Erik

eekman 12-20-2007 09:40 AM

Found it!

It was the BES security policy "Allow Third Party Apps to use Persistent Store"
Set this to true and bingo. java.lang.error was gone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.