BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/)
-   -   8100 Pearl and MicroSDHC above 2 GB (4, 6, 8..) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/102705-8100-pearl-microsdhc-above-2-gb-4-6-8-a.html)

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-01-2007 01:37 AM

8100 Pearl and MicroSDHC above 2 GB (4, 6, 8..)
 
I read the FAQ on this site and according to this FAQ my Pearl doesn't support MicroSDHC cards, but all Blackberry phones with the firmware above some number support these SDHC cards. Also according to multiple publications on the Internet and primarily to SanDisk web site MicroSDHC cards are supported by 8100.

SanDisk | Compatibility | Device List

So where is the truth? Just bought, received today and installed a brand new MicroSDHC 6 GB card from SanDisk. I got it from Amazon, but just because of the price, it's the same card. Here is the description.

SanDisk | Products | Mobile Products | microSD Cards

It works perfectly in the card reader via USB port giving me up to 9.2-9.5 MB/sec writing speed. The same card inserted into Pearl was not recognized. The phone recommended me to check the media in computer. OK, I formatted the card right inside the phone and got 1.6 GB size, not even 2 GB or 5.9 GB that should be there, but 1.6 GB only. The firmware is the latest that T-Mobile provided me just couple days ago. Here is the info.

Blackberry 8100 Wireless Handheld (EDGE) v.4.2.1.107 (Platform 2.3.0.83)
Cryptographic Kernel v.3.8.4.34
MicroEdition Configuration CLOC-1.1
MicroEdition Profile: MIDP-2.0
MicroEdition JTWI Version: 1.0
MicroEdition Media Version: 1.1
MicroEdition PIM Version: 1.0
MicroEdition File Version: 1.0

I wrote the question to [email address] and got a worthless answer like call your provider. But I was said when I was buing this phone that it SUPPORTS MicroSDHC cards. So the firmware is still not ready or it doesn't support as was promised?

Although I heard that there is a later version and maybe T-Mobile goes behind the schedule and I can grab the latest firmware from somewhere else if it's not critical for the provider and will not affect my phone connection or something else.

Any good advice?

Also, why all cards inserted into the phone work pretty slowly? I was able to get 560-570 kb/sec writing speed comparing to over 9 MB/sec when the same card works with the card reader. What's that, firmware again, USB1.1 which is probably used in the phone, some other reasons?

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-01-2007 03:00 AM

Sorry, people, it was just one more bug in the phone firmware. :x

The card reformatted by the phone showed me 1.6 GB of available space. The same card reformatted in my laptop got almost 6 GB available. The phone recognized this card after it was reformatted and started working with it reading and copying the data. Although pretty slowly and I got the card back out from the phone, inserted into card reader and started copying the media files on the card again. The sad thing is that the phone works extremely slowly with the cards comparing to the card reader, the difference is over 15-17 times. So to copy a simple 6 GB card... on 560 kb/sec takes forever.

Anyway, it's time to change the FAQ ;-) , I confirm that this phone already supports 6 GB MicroSDHC cards from SanDisk if the card is reformatted with computer. The preformatted card was not recognized by the phone. :x

The tests go on... Maybe this solution still has some traps...

A new info. I copied about 5+ GB from my laptop to this card using card reader and inserted it into the phone - same results - can't recognize the card. What's going on? Does this phone really support any MIcroSDHC cards or not? There are many publications on the Internet telling that Pearl supports MicroSDHC cards. There is also a link right on SanDisk web site telling that Pearl supports at least 4 GB cards. I'm sure they tested that before published these results.

SanDisk Product Compatibility
SanDisk | Compatibility | Device List

4GB memory card for Blackberry 8100 Pearl/8300 Curve
::Products::

Supports up to 4GB MicroSD Note: 4GB microSDHC chip requires May 2007 or later OS.
BlackBerry Pearl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

\>May I put a 4GB Micro card to the blackberry pearl?
\>you can, but it needs to be running sw version 4.2.1.101 at least.
May I put a 4GB Micro card to the blackberry pearl? - Smartphone / PDA Talk - Mobiledia

Our 8100 Pearl memory cards are fully compatible with the Blackberry 8100 Pearl up to 4GB micro SD. Take advantage of our 8100 Pearl accessories, available at a discount with your memory purchase.
8100 Pearl memory cards : micro SD cards for Blackberry 8100 Pearl

\>I just got a 4 gig sandisk and it works great. My T mobile Pearl says I have 3.7 gigs
\>yes the sandisk will work in your phone i have at&t and the same os it sees the 4gig card just fine didnt have to even format it either. it will see 3.75 gig hope this help
http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/49453-4gb_6gb.html

So it looks like we're having at least some kind of miscommunication, or different providers have different support for the same phone, or the phones are different! RIM keeps silence redirecting me to the provider.

To be continued...

xXSilentScreamXx 11-01-2007 09:41 PM

So the fact that all those links that you posted claim that a 4gig worked .....
not a 6gig
Maybe the phone only supports a 4gig card and thats the limit?

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-08-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXSilentScreamXx (Post 725291)
So the fact that all those links that you posted claim that a 4gig worked .....
not a 6gig
Maybe the phone only supports a 4gig card and thats the limit?

Well, I had enough time to play with partitions and got some results. Btw, it's posible to use some Linux based CDs like RescueCD to partition the MicroSDHC cards.

I'm not sure what all these guys were writing about as well as Wikipedia which has some wrong assumptions about existing IrDA support in the Pearl
BlackBerry Pearl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, this is not correct. The card even if it's partitioned to 4 GB or a little bit less is not working with my Pearl. That's strange, but it's truth. The card can be easily recognized, I got some positive results even with 6 GB card, the phone shows the size, but realistically when I tried to copy the data to the media card the process stops at about 2 GB limit. Firmware limits, nothing else. The Firmware is the latest offering by T-Mobile USA, I'm up to date, it's not a problem, although I guess T-Mobile walks behind other providers here and I have already seen a newer build on the Internet. Cingular and some providers in Europe offer Blackberry Pearl 8100 supporting up to 4 GB MicroSDHC cards. T-Mobile USA is not aware of that at all, I wrote a question to their support and it looked like I opened their eyes with these 4 GB cards. I have no choice just to wait. Although it's probably possible to get some latest firmware from the Internet and use it with the risk to get a problem with my current provider.

mckinneycm 11-08-2007 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitri Shvetsov (Post 732426)
Well, I had enough time to play with partitions and got some results. Btw, it's posible to use some Linux based CDs like RescueCD to partition the MicroSDHC cards.

I'm not sure what all these guys were writing about as well as Wikipedia which has some wrong assumptions about existing IrDA support in the Pearl
BlackBerry Pearl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, this is not correct. The card even if it's partitioned to 4 GB or a little bit less is not working with my Pearl. That's strange, but it's truth. The card can be easily recognized, I got some positive results even with 6 GB card, the phone shows the size, but realistically when I tried to copy the data to the media card the process stops at about 2 GB limit. Firmware limits, nothing else. The Firmware is the latest offering by T-Mobile USA, I'm up to date, it's not a problem, although I guess T-Mobile walks behind other providers here and I have already seen a newer build on the Internet. Cingular and some providers in Europe offer Blackberry Pearl 8100 supporting up to 4 GB MicroSDHC cards. T-Mobile USA is not aware of that at all, I wrote a question to their support and it looked like I opened their eyes with these 4 GB cards. I have no choice just to wait. Although it's probably possible to get some latest firmware from the Internet and use it with the risk to get a problem with my current provider.

You won't have a problem from your current provider. The providers don't care what version you're running. ALL software comes from RIM, not the carriers. In fact, one time I was talking to T-Mobile customer service and they recommended that I download the version that Cingular was putting out at the time.

If you talk to John Clark here on the forum, he is running a 4gb card with a T-mobile 8100 just fine.

SKPhoton 11-08-2007 01:02 AM

FWIW, I'm using a Sandisk 4gb SDHC card in mine and it works perfectly.

slickshal 11-08-2007 07:05 AM

verizon states the 8130 works with 6 and 8 gig cards... im ordering one today for mine.. i'll keep u informed.

Wakefield103 11-08-2007 02:38 PM

My VZW 8130 with a 6 GB works fine. When initialized it shows 5.6 GB available.

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-10-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKPhoton (Post 732449)
FWIW, I'm using a Sandisk 4gb SDHC card in mine and it works perfectly.


Are you able to copy your media files to the whole card up to 3.6 GB or whatever is available? And could you please say what firmware your phone is using now? Mine is (taken from About):

V.4.2.1.107 (Platform 2.3.0.83)

maybe it's not the latest one provided us by T-Mobile. :-(

Also what's the maximum speed when you copy files from your computer to the phone? The speed that I see is pretty low - 500-600 kbytes/sec. Having the same card in the card reader gives me over 9-10 Mbytes/sec. :x

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-10-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakefield103 (Post 733225)
My VZW 8130 with a 6 GB works fine. When initialized it shows 5.6 GB available.

My 8100 shows 5.6 as well, but when I copy files it fails after I reach a 2 GB limit regardless of the card size. If I copy the same files with the card reader the phone is not able to read the card at all.

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-10-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 732428)
You won't have a problem from your current provider. The providers don't care what version you're running. ALL software comes from RIM, not the carriers. In fact, one time I was talking to T-Mobile customer service and they recommended that I download the version that Cingular was putting out at the time.

If you talk to John Clark here on the forum, he is running a 4gb card with a T-mobile 8100 just fine.

That's good, I have already read about that on the Internet, particularly in this forum, so we can install any firmware just doing some trick like deleting the vendor file. ;-) But where could we all get the latest firmware from? Maybe some of these forums always has the direct link to the latest firmware available for 8100 Pearl customers? For example I see that somebody's already using 108, but I'm on 107 now and just wondering if this 108 supports bigger media cards or not.

Dmitri Shvetsov 11-10-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickshal (Post 732549)
verizon states the 8130 works with 6 and 8 gig cards... im ordering one today for mine.. i'll keep u informed.

Sorry, my friend, the initial thread was about 8100 Pearl. :shock: That's good that yours works with these cards, that's what I can't say about my 8100.

Btw, the manager in the store told me that 8100 works with MicroSDHC cards up to 32 GB. He lied, or he was not simply aware of that in detail. Anyway I still lose, at least until I can get and install the firmware supporting these sizes.

007Locutus 12-03-2008 04:10 PM

I am curious as well. I just bought my fiance a 8100 want to get her more memory and I also cant get any clear answer as to if its compatible with sdhc cards. I do know that if you go to the t-mobile website and use there automated accessories option, select the 8100 and then select memory, the only choice that appears is a 8gb sdhc card? So I am to assume that current OS supports sdhc cards. I bought her a 4gb sdhc off ebay today for 8.00 so well see.

JeeBee 12-04-2008 04:26 AM

Has anyone tested SDHC cards with the 4.5 OS?

341EastOf 12-04-2008 09:34 AM

FYI - I have one of the first 8100's from T-Mobile. I am currently running OS 4.5.0.81 (downloaded from a link on BB Forums). I purchased a 8gb Micro SDHC card from Amazon a couple of months back for around $20. It works just fine and did not require formatting. There is over 7gb space available for pics, audio files, etc. I have no problem using BB MediaSync and putting a bunch of music on this card.

It is my understanding that as long as you are running OS 4.5 or higher on the 8100, you can use these larger media cards (worked for me). Also, I have never had any issue upgrading my OS when using the links provided by BB Forums.

Hope this info helps.

JeeBee 12-04-2008 12:35 PM

Which brand have you bought? Sandisk, Kingston? Thnx for your info!

341EastOf 12-05-2008 09:30 AM

I went with Sandisk. They always seem to have less compatibility issues than other cards (just my opinion). Good luck and hopefully it will work out for you as well as it did for me.

peterj 01-04-2009 04:46 AM

Here's my experience with MicroSD cards.

Blackberry 8120 Smartphone (EDGE, Wi-Fi) v.4.3.0.94 (Platform 2.6.0.54)
Cryptographic Kernel v.3.8.5.11c
MicroEdition Configuration CLDC-1.1
MicroEdition Profile: MIDP-2.0
MicroEdition JTWI Version: 1.0
MicroEdition Media Version: 1.1
MicroEdition PIM Version: 1.0
MicroEdition File Version: 1.0
MicroEdition Bluetooth Version: 1.1
Micro Edition Location Version: 1.1
MicroEdition Security and Trust Services (APDU) Version: 1.0
WLAN Version: 2.2.0.36

Sandisk 8GB Micro-SDHC card from Low Price Memory (£17.44 inc. delivery). Insert card in phone, format card, connect phone to PC, select 'Mass Storage On'. After a short delay phone appears in Windows Media Player 11 as having 7.6GB free. I've shifted about 3GB worth of albums across so far, but with no problems. The only thing I found was that the first time you go into 'Media' - 'Music' after shifting music across, the phone takes awhile to find all the information on the card, but once it has they appear right away the next time you go in.

MeŠiCX 01-04-2009 08:04 PM

Installed a Sandisk 8GB micro SDHC card on my 8130 today with no problems and did not require a reformat. 4.5.0.66 US Cellular.

fiestito 01-04-2009 11:09 PM

I have a 8100 OS 4.5.0.102 with a kingstone 8 GB class 4 and it works great.
Video playback with this microSD its pretty good.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.