BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 449
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default finally got my 8130 and have a few questions!

Please Login to Remove!

first off, I am in LOVE with my pearl. had it for tmobile, but now that i have it for verizon....it's like night and day.

first, does anyone know the difference between the 2 data plans? 1 is for $45 and the other is for $30.

secondly, is text messaging a part of the data package, and therefore i dont need to get an additional texting plan?

third, can i install the vodafone theme on here?(since its going from gsm to cmda)


TIA
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
smalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 87
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
first off, I am in LOVE with my pearl. had it for tmobile, but now that i have it for verizon....it's like night and day.

first, does anyone know the difference between the 2 data plans? 1 is for $45 and the other is for $30.

secondly, is text messaging a part of the data package, and therefore i dont need to get an additional texting plan?

third, can i install the vodafone theme on here?(since its going from gsm to cmda)


TIA
1) $45 is if you have BES and $30 is for BIS.
2) Text messaging isn't part of the data package, you have to add that separately.
3) I'm wondering this as well - I tried to unlock vendor themes last night and got into a whole mess that I had to undo everything. Is there an easy way to do this?
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
hnsimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NC
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5xxxx
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1,039
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The $30 plan is for non-BES subscribers.

Themes are not network-based, so they should be compatable.

-simpson
__________________
"Just bust a move."

-Young MC
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 449
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls View Post
1) $45 is if you have BES and $30 is for BIS.
2) Text messaging isn't part of the data package, you have to add that separately.
3) I'm wondering this as well - I tried to unlock vendor themes last night and got into a whole mess that I had to undo everything. Is there an easy way to do this?
i just bought this phone with the BES plan because the rep told me it was going to be cheaper and i can downgrade in a couple months. also, he said that unlimited text messaging is a part of the data plan.
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

if you have verizon, it is not part of the data plan.
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 449
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

damn...isnt there a 30 day trial on new accounts? if so, im going to jump ship from this rep just because he's a shady POS.
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 397
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The REAL difference between the two data plans is bandwidth. The 29.99 is for 5gb per month even though it is listed as BIS unlimited. The fine print states penalties for usage over 5gb. The 49.99 plan is truly unlimited and therefore suggested for BES when there is a lot of data being communicated.

Text's CAN be part of the package depending on the voice plan you purchased.

Themes can be unlocked. Unlock them one by one. Also be careful of it adding extra junk. I like the TMO theme. When I unlocked it I deleted the reference the TMO 5 and the TMO 5 icons in the Blackberry.alx file.

Jared
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
redhandeddenial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hburg, va
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.89
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
The REAL difference between the two data plans is bandwidth. The 29.99 is for 5gb per month even though it is listed as BIS unlimited. The fine print states penalties for usage over 5gb. The 49.99 plan is truly unlimited and therefore suggested for BES when there is a lot of data being communicated.

Text's CAN be part of the package depending on the voice plan you purchased.

Themes can be unlocked. Unlock them one by one. Also be careful of it adding extra junk. I like the TMO theme. When I unlocked it I deleted the reference the TMO 5 and the TMO 5 icons in the Blackberry.alx file.

Jared

i might be wrong, but the way i read the policy the BES has the same 5gb limit as the BIS.
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 397
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandeddenial View Post
i might be wrong, but the way i read the policy the BES has the same 5gb limit as the BIS.
You could be right. That's not what I understood. Also, if you wish to have tethering they charge you $15 if you're on the $49.99 plan but $30 if you're on the $29.99 plan because it makes it unlimited.

Jared
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
redhandeddenial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hburg, va
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.89
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i will have my wife talk to her data rep to get a solid answer...dude has been able to answer 99% of my questions on the spot
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 397
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandeddenial View Post
i will have my wife talk to her data rep to get a solid answer...dude has been able to answer 99% of my questions on the spot
Sounds good. Keep us updated.

Thus far I dropped to the $29.99 BIS plan but pay $30 for tethering.

Jared
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 449
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So I ended up downgrading to the 30 dollar plan and buying the 20 dollar 5000 text messaging plan.

Do email notifications count as text messages?

*side question....how do I input a signature in my text messages?
Offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
redhandeddenial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hburg, va
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.89
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
Sounds good. Keep us updated.

Thus far I dropped to the $29.99 BIS plan but pay $30 for tethering.

Jared
FYI the wife said that the 5gb cap is on ALL devices and plans. this includes AIRCARDS!!!

so it seems tethering is getting nixed by vzw, kinda a bad call i think.

a policy i read on the vzw site said that after hitting you 5gb cap they reserve the right to sever your connection or reduce thru speeds to >200kbps.


but she will put an email in for me and ill try to keep you guys/gals updated
Offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post

Do email notifications count as text messages?
I'd like to know this as well.
Offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Need info on Verizon - BES ?

[b][/B I've had a terrible time with Verizon's customer service because every rep I talk to says something different. I was told that in order to use the blackberry email push feature you have to have the data plan that includes BES. I'm not even sure what BES is. Does anyone know if that's true??

Also, they said the 29.99 unlimited plan is only available if you're eligible for a business plan (have your service under a corporation). Anyone know anything about that?

Confused here. Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
The REAL difference between the two data plans is bandwidth. The 29.99 is for 5gb per month even though it is listed as BIS unlimited. The fine print states penalties for usage over 5gb. The 49.99 plan is truly unlimited and therefore suggested for BES when there is a lot of data being communicated.

Text's CAN be part of the package depending on the voice plan you purchased.

Themes can be unlocked. Unlock them one by one. Also be careful of it adding extra junk. I like the TMO theme. When I unlocked it I deleted the reference the TMO 5 and the TMO 5 icons in the Blackberry.alx file.

Jared
Offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
iPhone Mod!
 
zerog46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a House
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold
Posts: 6,753
Post Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

They are wrong you can get the unlimited BIS plan for $29.99 from Verizon. It's right on their web site. Then you can send email BB messenger and use the internet.
__________________
Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well.
Offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
iPhone Mod!
 
zerog46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a House
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold
Posts: 6,753
Post Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbogger View Post
I'd like to know this as well.
No they don't it's all included in the data package.
__________________
Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well.
Offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
iPhone Mod!
 
zerog46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a House
Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold
Posts: 6,753
Post Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
So I ended up downgrading to the 30 dollar plan and buying the 20 dollar 5000 text messaging plan.

Do email notifications count as text messages?

*side question....how do I input a signature in my text messages?
They do have unlimited text plans now with voice plans.
__________________
Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well.
Offline  
Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montgomery, NY
Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 208
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
So I ended up downgrading to the 30 dollar plan and buying the 20 dollar 5000 text messaging plan.

Do email notifications count as text messages?

*side question....how do I input a signature in my text messages?
Email notifications do not count as text messages....as IM messages do not count as text messages (which is different from Verizon's Get It Now IM programs for their "regular" phones, which do count as text messages). Only text (SMS, MMS) messages count as text messages.

Why would you want a signature in your text messages? If you're sending SMS, the signature would count towards the 160 character limit. So if you have a long signature, it could pretty much eat up your entire message. Besides, because of this, I don't think SMS even supports signatures.
Offline  
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
redhandeddenial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hburg, va
Model: 8130
OS: 4.5.0.89
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
They do have unlimited text plans now with voice plans.
blackberries cant use the "premium" package. its really really complicated as far as i understand and 90% of the rep i know could give 2 craps about bberry customers.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.