BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default MIssing the point here

Please Login to Remove!

1.) Research on devices for me was not an option. I had no choice on devices as the company requires blackberry. Learning what the device capabilities were is a valid comment, but the time zone change wouldn't have been one I thought to look at since it was common with my old phone.

2.) Yes I could have checked time zones before leaving to ensure I knew where I was, or I could have checked the in-flight magazine. The problem with this is I didn't know I needed to check these sources. Again my Razr phone changed zones automatically so I had no reason to check anything other than the blackberry because I thought it changed on its own.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and all the solutions proposed would have been fine IF and only IF I knew there was a problem to begin with. Now going forward I will be aware that I need to know the zones I am in, and not rely on the blackberry. I just wish they would at least have the option.
Offline  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Another User Agrees: Absurd BB too stupid to change time between zones

What is left to say? It is a glaring deficiency, and efforts to defend RIM on this are pathetic. I've shifted the time source from BB to "Network" but I read elsewhere here that the time will not change.

My dumb phone used to know what time it was.
Offline  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d51350 View Post
I've shifted the time source from BB to "Network" but I read elsewhere here that the time will not change.
Correct, it will not make a difference.

Read the FAQ on using the time zone settings and make it work for you.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #44 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cellularsouth
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think yall dropped the ball on this one. Even my oldest cell phone changed time zones. What happened to the customer is right? Once the word gets out about this defect in BB, sales will drop off. Will you understand then? This should be an easy fix.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #45 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan1 View Post
I think yall dropped the ball on this one. Even my oldest cell phone changed time zones. What happened to the customer is right? Once the word gets out about this defect in BB, sales will drop off. Will you understand then? This should be an easy fix.
I suggest you put your flame suit on... because I have a feeling you've just placed a huge target on yourself with this nonsense.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,804
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Another expert...

"Once the word gets out about this defect in BB, sales will drop off."

Are you going to publicize it? This isn't a new "defect". This has worked this way since the first BlackBerry.

And somehow, people still buy their BlackBerrys. Amazing, isn't it.

And the customer isn't always right. PEBKAC.

In any event, send an e-mail to [email address] and express your opinion.

P.S. - this forum is not associated in any way with Research in Motion.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #47 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,679
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 96 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

I did it on purpose when I designed the OS, just to irritate people.

Besides, I added it to OS 5.0.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #48 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: Z10
OS: 10.2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 13,732
Post Thanks: 15
Thanked 500 Times in 487 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan1
I think yall dropped the ball on this one. Even my oldest cell phone changed time zones. What happened to the customer is right? Once the word gets out about this defect in BB, sales will drop off. Will you understand then? This should be an easy fix.
Nobody here dropped the ball. Contact RIM.
__________________
- Ira
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #49 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,804
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark

Besides, I added it to OS 5.0.
So that's what the "Auto Update Time Zone" field means.
Thanks John! You certainly picked up the ball.
Offline  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #50 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

I did it on purpose when I designed the OS, just to irritate people.

Besides, I added it to OS 5.0.
You're too slow doing it and you should have publicized it more so lmorgan1's panties would not be so wadded up.
Offline  
Old 11-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #51 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verzion
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorgan1 View Post
I think yall dropped the ball on this one. Even my oldest cell phone changed time zones. What happened to the customer is right? Once the word gets out about this defect in BB, sales will drop off. Will you understand then? This should be an easy fix.
Sales will not be dropping off there is not better phone company out there
Offline  
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #52 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Set whether iPhone sets the date and time automatically

Choose General > Date & Time and turn Set Automatically on or off.

If iPhone is set to update the time automatically, it gets the correct time over the cell network, and updates it for the time zone you're in.
Wow Might actually have to switch here never thought I would like an apple product!!! (Not saying their bad, they never seemed to agree with me [kinda like VISTA, it works but its just a pain in the ass sometimes])

[@NJBlackBerry: PEBKAC ... Yes I agree people are stupid (Myself no less for not taking the time to fully research my options; didn't figure I couldn't adjust the color on my phones background), so I pose the question "Why make a simple feature complicated?" ie If its not broken why fix it?]

ahhh I'm venting sorry.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #53 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodaphone
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So....

My calendar on my laptop schedules my meetings in quite a few different time zones, depending on where I am, Finland, England, Sweden, India. When I change time zones the times in the calendar e shown both in the meeting time zone time and the local time zone where I am.

What happens when this lot syncs with the blackberry ?
Offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #54 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: us cellular
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Auto Time Zone change

I just looked at friends ATT BB Bold 9700 that has Auto Time Zone change feature.

Does anyone know if any other BB have this or if new versions are coming out?
__________________
BB Addict
Offline  
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #55 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,804
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

It is part of the latest operating system for the BlackBerry, version 5.0.
Some models can be updated to v5; the 8830 cannot.
Offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #56 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Yeah, I hate that my $20,000 Chanel J12 can't automatically change time...
Your J12 doesn't have GPS on GSM so how would it know where it was? Price is just an indicator of someones willingness to pay, not a statement of function, otherwise why would so many people (over)paid for iPhones....

I agree that this is a difficult design challenge, especially when the device is sync'd to a server, but time has passed for RIM to make the default automatic, with an option to disable it. Of course they should only do this with a NEW phone model where there is an expectation of change.

My $350 Garmin 310XT watch handles timezone changes at PowerOn by using the GPS to detect where it is, it doesn't ask me if I want to change. Of course, if I power it up indoors it can't get a good GPS signal and thus defaults to the TZ it had previously.

If BB doesn't adopt defaults that match the expectations of it's users, then it will start to go the way of Palm. Functionally back in 2002 the Treo650 was a space rocket and people were saying no one wanted a converged computer, phone, email, camera device.... look where it got them by ignoring future trends.

While an FAQ answer might be good enough for those of you who understands how the current BB implementation works, a quick google search indicates the scale of the problem, and how I ended up here...

(in my case, I'd mistakenly manually set my TZ to Central America when returning from a trip to California when I did set my TZ manually and correctly, I'm a Brit living in Texas...)

++Mark.
Offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,804
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 442 Times in 382 Posts
Default

They changed this in OS 5 which has been out for months.

Wow.
Offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: Z10
OS: 10.2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 13,732
Post Thanks: 15
Thanked 500 Times in 487 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathcam
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Yeah, I hate that my $20,000 Chanel J12 can't automatically change time...


Your J12 doesn't have GPS on GSM so how would it know where it was? Price is just an indicator of someones willingness to pay, not a statement of function, otherwise why would so many people (over)paid for iPhones....



I agree that this is a difficult design challenge, especially when the device is sync'd to a server, but time has passed for RIM to make the default automatic, with an option to disable it. Of course they should only do this with a NEW phone model where there is an expectation of change.



My $350 Garmin 310XT watch handles timezone changes at PowerOn by using the GPS to detect where it is, it doesn't ask me if I want to change. Of course, if I power it up indoors it can't get a good GPS signal and thus defaults to the TZ it had previously.



If BB doesn't adopt defaults that match the expectations of it's users, then it will start to go the way of Palm. Functionally back in 2002 the Treo650 was a space rocket and people were saying no one wanted a converged computer, phone, email, camera device.... look where it got them by ignoring future trends.



While an FAQ answer might be good enough for those of you who understands how the current BB implementation works, a quick google search indicates the scale of the problem, and how I ended up here...



(in my case, I'd mistakenly manually set my TZ to Central America when returning from a trip to California when I did set my TZ manually and correctly, I'm a Brit living in Texas...)



++Mark.
This is OBE unless you are using a pre-5.0 model (as mentioned in the thread more than once).

Of course the device manufacturer can't make up for carelesnes or failures on the part of the user.
__________________
- Ira

Last edited by aiharkness : 07-01-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #59 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Model: Z10
OS: 10.3-1052
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
They changed this in OS 5 which has been out for months.

Wow.
But will never be made available for the Pearl 8100. The 81xx models will forever be stuck at 4.5.

But there's always the Pearl 3G 9100 (can't for a U.S. carrier, any will do at this point, to actually get it).
Offline  
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #60 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
aiharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida Panhandle
Model: Z10
OS: 10.2.1
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Posts: 13,732
Post Thanks: 15
Thanked 500 Times in 487 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted

Darn. You mean RIM doesn't design devices to run all future OS versions indefinately?
__________________
- Ira
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.