BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
itsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 173
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default any free GPS software besides VZ Navigator?

Please Login to Remove!

I don't necessarily need GPS however it would be a nice tool to have, I know VZW charges $10 for their navigator package, is it worth it, is there anything else that could be used.

thanks
__________________
VZW 8330 (Curve) - Current BB
VZW 8130 (Pearl) - Hidden in a box.
VZW 8703e - Went down the toilet.
Offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsj View Post
I don't necessarily need GPS however it would be a nice tool to have, I know VZW charges $10 for their navigator package, is it worth it, is there anything else that could be used.

thanks
not with out buying other hardware.
Offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
pdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Detroit
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 261
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsj View Post
I don't necessarily need GPS however it would be a nice tool to have, I know VZW charges $10 for their navigator package, is it worth it, is there anything else that could be used.

thanks
You could try Google Maps, but that is not true GPS, just an approximation based on cell towers. The only way you can unlock the Verizon GPS is by using VZ Nav. You could also buy a bluetooth keychain GPS receiver.
Offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
itsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 173
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdone View Post
You could try Google Maps, but that is not true GPS, just an approximation based on cell towers. The only way you can unlock the Verizon GPS is by using VZ Nav. You could also buy a bluetooth keychain GPS receiver.
how does the bluetooth keychain work? so there is no BB hack to unlock the vz navigator unless you subscribe, hmm. does anyone actually have it, how does it compare to a tom tom or something similar or oem in a car?
__________________
VZW 8330 (Curve) - Current BB
VZW 8130 (Pearl) - Hidden in a box.
VZW 8703e - Went down the toilet.
Offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
DaddyFizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 60
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Try AmaZe

http://www.amazegps.com/
Offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsj View Post
how does the bluetooth keychain work? so there is no BB hack to unlock the vz navigator unless you subscribe, hmm. does anyone actually have it, how does it compare to a tom tom or something similar or oem in a car?
Its a good gps its not the best by any means. I wouldn't use it because I already have a device in my truck. Plus its 10.00 a month. Versus a one time expense on a decent gps unit for your vehicle. OR the puck. The puck is a great device John Clark has a great review of a couple of them on these forums.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.