BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/)
-   -   WiFi problem - 8120 Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/119963-wifi-problem-8120-pearl.html)

greenday 02-28-2008 12:22 PM

WiFi problem - 8120 Pearl
 
Hi there, I am a Blackberry virgin :oops: , just found this site, looks great :smile: , hopefully get some help which is more than by carrier could offer :x

I Can't get WiFi to work, carier does not want to know, says it's nothing to do with them :x
I have a WiFi router in my home, my blackberry can find it when I scan for networks and I have set up a wifi profile on the BB and entered the WEP code. and I have added the BB MAC address to the router secure list. my blackberry says it is "connected" when I view the connection but the WiFi symbol on the home screen is greyed out.
If I view "manage connections" the symbol next to WiFi is a yellow circle. The SSID name of my router is displayed next to the my carrier name on the front screen, but when I try to use the browser if does not use my WiFi connection it still tries to use the mobile phone link.
I have a Blackbery pearl, 8120.
Any Ideas, thanks

kings0r 02-28-2008 12:30 PM

I had the exact same problem, when I got my 8120. I just upgraded my OS and since then my WiFi works like a charm.

What OS version is installed on your Pearl?
You can look it up under Options -> Info.

It it's not the latest you could upgrade to the latest version.

I'm pretty sure that your WiFi will work just fine after the update.

greenday 02-28-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kings0r (Post 853452)
I had the exact same problem, when I got my 8120. I just upgraded my OS and since then my WiFi works like a charm.

What OS version is installed on your Pearl?
You can look it up under Options -> Info.

It it's not the latest you could upgrade to the latest version.

I'm pretty sure that your WiFi will work just fine after the update.

Thanks
looks like it's version 4.3.0.94

will I lose all my set up if I upgrade ?

mike_187 02-28-2008 12:48 PM

you won't lose anything just make sure the automatic backup feature is selected. The whole process takes 20 to 30 mins so make sure you have the time to do it

greenday 02-28-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kings0r (Post 853452)
I had the exact same problem, when I got my 8120. I just upgraded my OS and since then my WiFi works like a charm.

What OS version is installed on your Pearl?
You can look it up under Options -> Info.

It it's not the latest you could upgrade to the latest version.

I'm pretty sure that your WiFi will work just fine after the update.

When I click on the update link above it takes me to an ORANGE update, my phone is with O2, will this screw it up ?

Thanks

SwedishFireballs 02-28-2008 01:46 PM

Best using O2's approved firmware, just to be safe:

BlackBerry from O2 - Help and support

SwedishFireballs 02-28-2008 01:51 PM

...thanks for the info by the way, I've been having the exact same problem. Didn't consider flashing the firmware as the device is only 2 days old! But I'll give it a whirl anyway.

greenday 02-28-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishFireballs (Post 853523)
Best using O2's approved firmware, just to be safe:

BlackBerry from O2 - Help and support

Thanks,

Even though I got the phone directly from O2, the latest version from their web site appears to be v4.3.0.67 but the version on my phone is v4.3.0.94 ! sounds like this would downgrade if I installed it :-(

jeremyckitching 02-28-2008 02:39 PM

What model of wireless router are you using?

greenday 02-28-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 853598)
What model of wireless router are you using?

My Wireless Router is a BELKIN High peformance N1 MIMO

jeremyckitching 02-28-2008 03:13 PM

The Wireless N routers have known to have issues with UMA. I saw another post in this forum where a user was using the wireless N router and was having your same issue.

You will want to get a wireless G router for now. That should resolve the issue.

greenday 02-28-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 853629)
The Wireless N routers have known to have issues with UMA. I saw another post in this forum where a user was using the wireless N router and was having your same issue.

You will want to get a wireless G router for now. That should resolve the issue.


What is UMA ?

Also, the router has the option to select either n+g+b or just g+b, so I could try that if the n is the problem

jeremyckitching 02-28-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday (Post 853641)
What is UMA ?

Also, the router has the option to select either n+g+b or just g+b, so I could try that if the n is the problem

Sorry, meant to say with Wi-Fi. UMA is for making calls using the wireless radio, but that is not necessarily your issue. Yes, try setting the router to just the g+b setting and see if that helps.

greenday 02-28-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyckitching (Post 853645)
Sorry, meant to say with Wi-Fi. UMA is for making calls using the wireless radio, but that is not necessarily your issue. Yes, try setting the router to just the g+b setting and see if that helps.

Nah, that did not work either, can someone just clarify for me, do I need anything from my carrier to use WiFi, like a plan or somthing, I notice that there is a service book for WiFi, could I delete them and resend or do I need to delete ALL service books to resend ? and if I do will any of my phone's set up be lost ?

Sorry about all the questions, bit of a BB newbie

kings0r 02-28-2008 04:25 PM

I don't know about the service books. Are you on a data plan? In general it shouldn't be a problem, to have them resent to you.

You should definitely update your OS. It doesn't matter which carrier it's from. I'm on O2 Germany using a Pearl I got from E-Plus and I updated my OS with files from a carrier from the UK. Just follow the instructions. You won't lose any settings.

NJBlackBerry 02-28-2008 04:26 PM

I was NEVER able to get Wifi to work with the Belkin N1 router you mentioned. Ripped it out and put in a Linksys.

It is not a data plan problem.

greenday 02-28-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 853723)
I was NEVER able to get Wifi to work with the Belkin N1 router you mentioned. Ripped it out and put in a Linksys.

It is not a data plan problem.

That's a bummer, got the router becuase it was top of the range, wide area signal superfast etc etc.

kings0r 02-28-2008 05:15 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8120/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/158)

It looks like you're trying hard not to update your Os, don't you? Besides what the others say on this thread it might still be worth a try. As I already mentioned, I had the same problem with my 8120 and it was gone after I updated its OS. I really don't know why I still bother to convince you.

greenday 02-29-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kings0r (Post 853770)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8120/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/158)

It looks like you're trying hard not to update your Os, don't you? Besides what the others say on this thread it might still be worth a try. As I already mentioned, I had the same problem with my 8120 and it was gone after I updated its OS. I really don't know why I still bother to convince you.

Whooa, steady on man, I don't want to change too many things at the same time, and yes, screwing up the OS can be a major headache so I was a bit cautious but did do it last night using the link above.

I does not seem to have fixed the WiFi problem and the device now seems much slower to respond, there is a definate pause after I select an item, it was almost instant before:-( (and I do not have much stored on it)

When you got your WiFi working did you need to delete the conection and set it up again after OS update ?

kings0r 02-29-2008 04:05 AM

Yes I deleted the WiFi network and re-added it to my networks list.

Your OS shouldn't run slower at all. In fact, the new OS should have many bugs fixed. Have you tried a reset already?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.