BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

well. i seem to have lost the ability to edit my ring profiles.

It happened awhile ago. i sort of fixed the issue by creating a new profile (which it did let me edit).

Tonight i decided to reinstall the os (4.3.0.97) to see if that fixed it.

No luck. In fact, now i cant edit the profiles at all. When i go into advanced, highlight one of them (sms, phone, etc and click menu>edit, not a thing happens. Nothing at all.

Tried a battery pull and still, nothing. The worst part is, the phone basically is on silent because it wont ring on any of the profiles. Vibrate, loud, quiet, normal. They all dont do a darned thing anymore.

Sigh, at least the silent profile is doing its job quite well lol

Im in fire need of some help!
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited518 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

well. i seem to have lost the ability to edit my ring profiles.

It happened awhile ago. i sort of fixed the issue by creating a new profile (which it did let me edit).

Tonight i decided to reinstall the os (4.3.0.97) to see if that fixed it.

No luck. In fact, now i cant edit the profiles at all. When i go into advanced, highlight one of them (sms, phone, etc and click menu>edit, not a thing happens. Nothing at all.

Tried a battery pull and still, nothing. The worst part is, the phone basically is on silent because it wont ring on any of the profiles. Vibrate, loud, quiet, normal. They all dont do a darned thing anymore.

Sigh, at least the silent profile is doing its job quite well lol

Im in fire need of some help!

have you made any changes to the device? or done the memory optimization that is shown here in the forum? it sounds like the module that controls your ringer profiles is missing from the device.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

Name the module and i can tell you if its on here.

i have:
Profiles_app
Profiles_lib
Profiles_tunes

Thats just using options>advanced>applications>modules
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

I would try connecting to Desktop Manager and go to Backup/Restore Advanced. On the right hand side, see if you can clear the Profiles database.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited518 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

Name the module and i can tell you if its on here.

i have:
Profiles_app
Profiles_lib
Profiles_tunes

Thats just using options>advanced>applications>modules
have you deleted any modules at all to add more memory to your device? when was the last time you could edit your profiles and what did you do when it stopped working?
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

i removed the qualcomm_tunebundles ringtone module, the wallpaper module, and the Verizon theme. nothing else as far as i can remember. i will try the desktop manager approach and report back in a bit

Edit: actually, its gonna wait till morning. Its 1:00 and im dead tired

Last edited by manunited518 : 03-26-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited518 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

i removed the qualcomm_tunebundles ringtone module, the wallpaper module, and the Verizon theme. nothing else as far as i can remember. i will try the desktop manager approach and report back in a bit

Edit: actually, its gonna wait till morning. Its 1:00 and im dead tired
well do some trial and error. put those 3 modules back in and then try editing your profiles. then remove one module at a time until you get the profile error again and that will be your solution. i am running the same version software as you and i dont have have profile edit problems and i didnt remove any of those modules, so one of them is the culprit
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

Hundreds of people have deleted those modules with no problems whatsoever. Im skeptical that that is actually the problem, but ill try and see if it fixes anything
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited518 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

Hundreds of people have deleted those modules with no problems whatsoever. Im skeptical that that is actually the problem, but ill try and see if it fixes anything
it doesnt hurt to try. like i said its trial and error.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Model: 8330
PIN: head, Zippy
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 61
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When you say it happened before, did you by chance migrate from a different model Blackberry altogether? This happened to me when I migrated from my 8703e to the 8130. I restored the old profile settings onto the new phone and some, not all, of the profiles were editable. Notably, MMS profile settings weren't editable because there was no such thing on the 8703e, even though the item showed up in the profiles.

I just started from scratch, reloaded the OS on the 8130, keeping the tunebundles cod, and made sure the profiles were editable. Once all was ok, I then restored as much as I could, leaving the Profiles database untouched. It has been working fine so far. As far as keeping it from happening, I just deleted all my old backups from the 8703e for good measure and made separate backups of just my profiles database. Hope this helps.

Last edited by haephaestus : 03-26-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 51
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

well, the database truck didnt work.

BUT, i reloaded the tunebundles module and magically it worked!

i think this is because the stock profiles have BBpro ringtone as almost everything. When you delete the tunebundles module, it deletes that ringtone, and the profile app doesnt like that.

So, be sure that before you delete the tunebundles module, all your profiles dont have ANY BB ringtones still being used

Thanks for all the help people! And sorry for doubting you VirexInc
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited518 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8130)

well, the database truck didnt work.

BUT, i reloaded the tunebundles module and magically it worked!

i think this is because the stock profiles have BBpro ringtone as almost everything. When you delete the tunebundles module, it deletes that ringtone, and the profile app doesnt like that.

So, be sure that before you delete the tunebundles module, all your profiles dont have ANY BB ringtones still being used

Thanks for all the help people! And sorry for doubting you VirexInc


it takes a real man to admit when he is wrong its all good.
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,963
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the same issue the only way I have found to fix it is to reinstall the OS back to normal. Then edit the alx file again. Then after a few weeks repeat because its going to happen again.
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I have the same issue the only way I have found to fix it is to reinstall the OS back to normal. Then edit the alx file again. Then after a few weeks repeat because its going to happen again.
i guess the price we pay for editing the orignal software and trying to get more out of the bb then what was intended by RIM
Offline  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,963
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirexInc View Post
i guess the price we pay for editing the orignal software and trying to get more out of the bb then what was intended by RIM
yep after six months I just learned to live with it. And for the record i Have never used any of the tune bundles tones for anything and mine still does this.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.