BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I don't know the problem HELP!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I can't get any mp3 file onto my 8100 that is bigger than around 2,000kb. When I have the blackberry software up, it doesn't seem to read that my SD card is in the device or something else of the sorts, help!!!

*update* it says that any file over 2,500kb (estimated) is too big and that the bb doesn't have enough storage space, when it tells me that it has 14mb of storage space on the device

Last edited by mikeyhomicide : 03-26-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhomicide View Post
I can't get any mp3 file onto my 8100 that is bigger than around 2,000kb. When I have the blackberry software up, it doesn't seem to read that my SD card is in the device or something else of the sorts, help!!!

*update* it says that any file over 2,500kb (estimated) is too big and that the bb doesn't have enough storage space, when it tells me that it has 14mb of storage space on the device
thats because your device is default set to reserver 2mb of space for temporary media files so you can view them. if you want to view that file you are going to have to increase the reserve media file size. the max you can set it to is 5mb. this is how you do it.

on you home screen click on the media icon. next hit the menu key and go to options. change device memory limit from 12mb to 15mb. then underneath pictures where it says "reserved pictures memory" change that to 5mb.

once you have done that try viewing the file.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirexInc View Post
thats because your device is default set to reserver 2mb of space for temporary media files so you can view them. if you want to view that file you are going to have to increase the reserve media file size. the max you can set it to is 5mb. this is how you do it.

on you home screen click on the media icon. next hit the menu key and go to options. change device memory limit from 12mb to 15mb. then underneath pictures where it says "reserved pictures memory" change that to 5mb.

once you have done that try viewing the file.
I don't think I accurately explained my issue.

I can't get the file onto the device.

A shows my device storage menue

B shows the message I get putting a 3000k file into my music folder.

Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhomicide View Post
I don't think I accurately explained my issue.

I can't get the file onto the device.

A shows my device storage menue

B shows the message I get putting a 3000k file into my music folder.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7714/38014115qb7.jpg
dont you have a memory card? why would you be trying to put an almost 3mb file on your device memory? just because the device says there is 14mb of free space doesnt mean thats for your storage. that memory is for running the device in a stable manner. if the device is saying its to big then you need to put the file on a memory card and access it that way.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
mizditz101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Utahhhhh
Model: iPhne
OS: iOS 5.1
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,026
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

They have also said, if I remember right, that they do have a memory card.
Let me ask this..
If you go to Options - Advanced Options - Media Card:
Is mass storage mode support set to "on"?
also, when you plug in your phone to your computer does it ask you to enable mass storage mode? Or do you have it automatically set to do so every time you plug it in?

If you are able to view your media card on your phone, and your phone is recognizing it, make sure the mass storage mode is on when you put your phone on your computer, or else, like you're seeing, you wont see your media card at all.
__________________
-"cuentale que te traigo loca"-
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizditz101 View Post
They have also said, if I remember right, that they do have a memory card.
Let me ask this..
If you go to Options - Advanced Options - Media Card:
Is mass storage mode support set to "on"?
also, when you plug in your phone to your computer does it ask you to enable mass storage mode? Or do you have it automatically set to do so every time you plug it in?

If you are able to view your media card on your phone, and your phone is recognizing it, make sure the mass storage mode is on when you put your phone on your computer, or else, like you're seeing, you wont see your media card at all.
if your device is connected to your computer and mass storage mode is disabled then you can not access the phones media card from your computer. so he must have mass storage mode enabled because he said he got the file to transfer and then got an error.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
mizditz101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Utahhhhh
Model: iPhne
OS: iOS 5.1
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,026
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirexInc View Post
if your device is connected to your computer and mass storage mode is disabled then you can not access the phones media card from your computer. so he must have mass storage mode enabled because he said he got the file to transfer and then got an error.
He said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhomicide View Post
I can't get any mp3 file onto my 8100 that is bigger than around 2,000kb. When I have the blackberry software up, it doesn't seem to read that my SD card is in the device or something else of the sorts, help!!!

*update* it says that any file over 2,500kb (estimated) is too big and that the bb doesn't have enough storage space, when it tells me that it has 14mb of storage space on the device
Well, I answered to the bolded part of the question.
It was stated that it looked like the computer wasn't seeing the card in his phone, so I said try this.
Maybe I'm totally wrong and I miss read that though... who knows at this point.

I've accidentally tried to put music on my device instead... because my card was in another phone and forgot that it was.
I'm not sure if I got that error or not though. It is possible to transfer stuff to the phone with or without a media card.
__________________
-"cuentale que te traigo loca"-

Last edited by mizditz101 : 03-26-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 466
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizditz101 View Post
It is possible to transfer stuff to the phone with or without a media card.
yes but the device is set to only hold a certain amount of extra files. the majority of free space on your device is used to make sure the device functions properly. he has to remember this is a phone not a hard drive.


also if maybe the sd card isnt being recognized? has the device ever recognized it before? is it new? was it in another blackberry or another device? you may need to format the sd card
Offline  
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
MelleyMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 34
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

From the pic you enclosed, it appears as if you are trying to transfer your mp3's directly to your device (which, as you have found won't work).
Enable mass storage under Options>Media Card. Then do a battery pull for 30 seconds.
Once rebooted, attach to the pc and startup Desktop Manager> Media Manager
Search through the Folders and Directories to find your Media Card. It will say your OS version number (long-ish) and then at the end Media Card.
On it you will find folders: Music, Ringtones, Pictures, and Videos. Drag and drop away.
If you don't find the above, have you formatted your SD Micro Disk?
If not, Options>Media Card>Format Disk...
__________________
On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.