BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newbie 8120 questions

Please Login to Remove!

I am an AT&T user and just got an 8120 from Ebay. I don't have a data plan and read the FAQ although I am not certain it answered my questions.

What can I do with WiFi? I can't seen to do web surfing? Do I need to turn on Data Services? Also the email client does not seem to work over WiFi. Are there specific apps I should get?

If I can't find answers to this, then I will just put the phone back on Ebay.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your responses.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8120
OS: 4.5.0.163
PIN: ky and the brain
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I am an AT&T user and just got an 8120 from Ebay. I don't have a data plan and read the FAQ although I am not certain it answered my questions.

What can I do with WiFi? I can't seen to do web surfing? Do I need to turn on Data Services? Also the email client does not seem to work over WiFi. Are there specific apps I should get?

If I can't find answers to this, then I will just put the phone back on Ebay.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your responses.
Is it a AT&T branded 8120? I don't think AT&T offers UMA so I'm not sure if it's going to display UMA for the signal bar or if it will display something else. Does it display the WiFi icon and does it give some sort of indication that it is connected to your network?
__________________
Justin
Offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madj42 View Post
Is it a AT&T branded 8120? I don't think AT&T offers UMA so I'm not sure if it's going to display UMA for the signal bar or if it will display something else. Does it display the WiFi icon and does it give some sort of indication that it is connected to your network?
It is the AT&T brand and I was on my home wireless network last night but the browser was not working
Offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Model: 8120
OS: 4.5.0.163
PIN: ky and the brain
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 121
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
It is the AT&T brand and I was on my home wireless network last night but the browser was not working
Go into the browser and go into the Options. Then Browser Configuration and see if you can change the Browser selection to HotSpot Browser. If there is no HotSpot Browser listed, what do you have as options?
__________________
Justin

Last edited by madj42 : 08-07-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I am an AT&T user and just got an 8120 from Ebay. I don't have a data plan and read the FAQ although I am not certain it answered my questions.

What can I do with WiFi? I can't seen to do web surfing? Do I need to turn on Data Services? Also the email client does not seem to work over WiFi. Are there specific apps I should get?

If I can't find answers to this, then I will just put the phone back on Ebay.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your responses.
You shouldn't need a data plan in order to use Wifi. You should be able to access most any open wifi networks. If you have issues with your house wifi network, give it some time and try to connect to it at different place around the house.

When I first got my Curve (with wifi), it took a while for my phone to find and connect to my home network.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
You shouldn't need a data plan in order to use Wifi. You should be able to access most any open wifi networks. If you have issues with your house wifi network, give it some time and try to connect to it at different place around the house.

When I first got my Curve (with wifi), it took a while for my phone to find and connect to my home network.
What are the speeds/performance you are getting for web surfing and email?

Thanks.
Offline  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: smelLA, caLAMEfornia
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.182
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria
Posts: 4,932
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I haven't done any specific tests. I don't have EDGE but a friend of mine who does have it has compared it to my wifi -- and he says the wifi speed is very good. No complaints on my end, though to be honest I don't have to compare it with.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.