BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
undemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: many
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 93
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default anybody used BBCall & Jajah

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering if anybody used BBCall & Jajah free mobile/landline to mobile/landline services? I installed BBCall beta code on my Pearl, and I did not see the "Jajah call" option on my contacts.

however tried it on the jajah website and it worked okay to call globally (Zone 1) for free using my Pearl 8100.....Anybody out there using this free services??? It is based on VoIP too.

Last edited by undemi : 10-11-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Offline  
Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
undemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Model: many
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 93
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default c'mon, why nobody seems to be interested or in the know


BBCall and Jajah are legitimate services based on VoIP, which allows blackberry users to place direct calls to any mobile or landline phone in the world.

<from Jajah's website>

JAJAH Free Global Calling allows you to make free local and international phone calls. It applies to land line and mobile calls to and within: the United States; Canada; China; Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan, and to landline calls to and within: Australia; UK; Germany; France, Italy and most other European nations.

It applies when both call participants are registered and active JAJAH users. In countries where free phone calls are not available, or if someone is calling a non-JAJAH member, calls are subject to JAJAH’s regular low rates.

<from Jajah's website>

Anybody tried their services while being a free registered user?

some links:

Jajah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BlackBerry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BBCalls - FREE calls with your BlackBerry

Offline  
Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undemi
Just wondering if anybody used BBCall & Jajah free mobile/landline to mobile/landline services? I installed BBCall beta code on my Pearl, and I did not see the "Jajah call" option on my contacts.

however tried it on the Jajah website and it worked okay to call globally (Zone 1) for free using my Pearl 8100.....Anybody out there using this free services??? It is based on VoIP too.
I installed it on the Pearl and successfully made a call.

I am planning to post a review of it when I have time. It's a little tricky to install, but not that hard.

It worked perfect. Cool concept as long as they don't turn into a regular carrier like the VOIP people did [to where their pricing is only slightly lower than regular land line rates].

For those of you wondering what we are talking about: You basically make phone calls "on the net," via your T-Mo unlimited data plan. Because you are using your Pearl's browser to make the call, using your T-Mo's minutes allotment is avoided. The real savings are when the person you call is also a Jajah member, because then the calls are totally free. This is kind of a "MyFaves" type service that T-Mo rolled out. E.g., if you have a friend in NYC and you are on the west coast, both of you should sign up for Jajah and enjoy free calls between you.

I think Jajah does have limits as to how much free calling you can do, something like one hour per day, or something like that.

As to how it works, think of Jajah as a service that sets up a conference call between your cell phone and whomever you call, whether the person on the other end is on a land line or cell phone. [Of course if the person you are calling is on his or her cell phone, then they are charged by their carrier, at least that how carriers charge here in the U.S. If the caller on the other end is NOT a Jajah member, you pay up to 3 cents per minute for the call].

I guess 3 cents is a good deal if your plan does not cover long distance international calls, for example. That price is good until they raise the rates close to what carriers charge, then might as well stop using it. I can see them increasing the rates a penny here, a penny there until a year from now you are paying 10 cents a minute. At that rate it starts to become less attractive.

Also, it only seems useful if you are making lots of international calls or getting near the end of your billing cycle and getting close to using up your minutes to where the 45 cents per minute charges kick in. Other than this, why pay $10 to $20 a month if your calls would otherwise be covered [or free] under your monthly minute plan.

I guess one could consider getting the cheapest minute plan T-Mo has, plus unlimited Data [$20], then use Jajah while their per minute charges are low.

But I am not sure that even this would pencil out. This is because it would be real easy under Jajah to run up a $30 to $40 monthly bill. That plus a $40 minute plan, $20 unlimted data plan and say $40 in Jajah costs would make Jajah look unattractive.

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 10-14-2006 at 03:20 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 201
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I installed it on the Pearl and successfully made a call.

I am planning to post a review of it when I have time. It's a little tricky to install, but not that hard.

It worked perfect. Cool concept as long as they don't turn into a regular carrier like the VOIP people did [to where their pricing is only slightly lower than regular land line rates].

For those of you wondering what we are talking about: You basically make phone calls "on the net," via your T-Mo unlimited data plan. Because you are using your Pearl's browser to make the call, using your T-Mo's minutes allotment is avoided.

Think of Jajah as a service that sets of a conference call between your cell phone and whomever you call, whether the person on the other end is on a land line or cell phone. [Of course if the person you are calling is on his or her cell phone, then they are charged by their carrier. Only you save money].

I think calls made through Jajah are 3 cents per minute. A good deal until they raise the rates to that close to what carriers charge, then might as well stop using it. I can see them increasing the rates a penny here, a penny there until a year from now you are paying 10 cents a minute.

Also, it only seems useful if you are making an international call or getting near the end of your billing cycle if you are getting close to using up your minutes. Otherwise, why pay even $10 to $20 a month if your calls would otherwise be covered under your monthly plan.

I guess one could consider getting the cheapest plan T-Mo has, with unlimited Data, then use Jajah while their per minute charges are low. But I am not sure that even this would pencil out. This is because it would be real easy under Jajah to run up a $30 to $40 monthly bill.
dude, i REALLY think you should get your facts straight before making a post like this. so let me clarify the way jajah works for EVERYONE here.

jajah is an israeli company that developed a system where one user gives his number and the third party number, and jajah calls you and when you pick up, it then initiates the call to the third party. now the reason i pointed out that its an israeli company is because in israel, like many countries in the region and around europe for that matter, incoming calls on your cellphone are free. you, for the most part (and im sure there are certain plans that are an exception to this) you only pay for calls you MAKE on ur cell overseas.

so when you say you use your t-mobile unlimited account and pay only 3c/min, you're VERY VERY WRONG! if you were to, for instance, drop your tmobile account to the lowers pool of minutes and have unlimited data on it, you would be using a mere few KB of data everytime you initiate a call because very little is sent from your phone to jajah to tell it who you are and who you want to call. then your phone will ring and you will pay through the nose if you sit on your phone all you want paying 3c/min to jajah but ALSO going over your limited pool of minutes with tmoblie!

the reason this concept DOES make sense is twofold. with your home phone, you almost always (and again, im sure that somewhere on earth there ARE exceptions to this) NEVER pay for incoming calls. so with jajah, you can call long distance for considerably cheap by telling it to call you and then your third party and pay only the low jajah rates. for cellphones, it only makes sense if you have unlimited incoming calls! (which is available from various carriers as mentioned before, and not only overseas, i know my home carrier, rogers, here in canada offers it, and im sure many in the US as well).

so PLEASE! before making people think they can just have an unlimited data package and be off with it, look into the facts. cuz i would feel REALLY bad for someone who actually did cancel their voice plan and end up with a rediculous bill for this. jajah ONLY advertises "FREE local and international calls with your regular phone" and mentions nothing about mobile phones, that being because the pricing structure is different.

lastly! if you think jajah is so great, please consider webcalldirect.com. i discovered it a few months back while looking for cheap voice solutoins to implement into a web application. i came across jajah first as it was rolled out in february of this year, but webcalldirect seems considerably better! you can still initiate the call over the net like jajah, BUT calls to landlines in many countries (canada/us is in this list) are free! so if you have unlimited incoming calls and a good data plan, then calling ANY landline in north america is free through webcalldirect. and also their rate to mobile phones in north america is HALF what jajah charges! (jajah = 2.5c/min, webcalldirect = 1.6c/min. yaya! not exactly half, but better!).

hope i've cleared things up. enjoy all
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman
dude, i REALLY think you should get your facts straight before making a post like this. so let me clarify the way jajah works for EVERYONE here.
hope i've cleared things up. enjoy all
Quit being such a rude a**. You are an idiot.

Admins can you ban this guy?

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 10-13-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 201
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Quit being such a rude a**. You are an idiot.
not trying to be rude at all. sorry if it came across that way. and asking me not to be rude and then calling me an idiot really doesnt say much. i just wanted to post a correction should anyone get excited about free calling that doesnt exist.

but i DO still stand by my words that one should verify the facts before posting false information.

cheers
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman
not trying to be rude at all. sorry if it came across that way. and asking me not to be rude and then calling me an idiot really doesnt say much. i just wanted to post a correction should anyone get excited about free calling that doesnt exist.

but i DO still stand by my words that one should verify the facts before posting false information.

cheers
Sorry if you came across that way? You were bellicose in about 12 places.

Before standing by your words, you should read the site because:

The plans do apply to cell phones, not only land lines.

The Company says they are headquartered in Mountain View, California.

If I call someone who is NOT also a Jajah member, I may pay up to 3 cents per minute for the call.

And if I call from my T-Mo phone, a java applet in the browser opens and connects me. Under those circumstances I am NOT using my T-Mo minutes plan, I am accessing my unlimited data plan. [which is what we have here in the U.S.].

But, like I said in my initial post, in most circumstances I will be calling non-Jajah people, so even though I am NOT being charged for the call by T-Mo, Jajah would still be charging me up to 3 cents a minute.


Last edited by SanFrancisco : 10-13-2006 at 04:04 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 04:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman
i DO still stand by my words that one should verify the facts before posting false information.

cheers
Do you know the meaning of the word "false." That means the person is intentionally lying. Assuming I was not accurate [I was accurate], my conduct did not rise to the level of being false.

And I suggest you go to their site and verify the accuracy of your information. It seems you are relying on outdated info or you can't read.

Back to school for you.


Last edited by SanFrancisco : 10-13-2006 at 04:05 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 04:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman
not trying to be rude at all. sorry if it came across that way. and asking me not to be rude and then calling me an idiot really doesnt say much. i just wanted to post a correction should anyone get excited about free calling that doesnt exist.

but i DO still stand by my words that one should verify the facts before posting false information.

cheers
Here are some additional screen captures that show your incompetence [or as I guess you would say, that YOU did not verify facts before posting false information].

Feel free to respond and defend your original post.






Last edited by SanFrancisco : 10-13-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Posts: 201
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Before standing by your words, you should read the site because:

The plans do apply to cell phones, not only land lines.
I never said the plans don't apply to cell phones. I said that they're NOT free in respect to the usage of voice minutes through your service provider. Landlines are usually free for incoming calls hence them being free. But cellphones are NOT usually free for incoming calls (at least in north america), hence NOT free overall.

I think you're getting mixed up. I am NOT talking about whether jajah is free or not. on that issue i AGREE with you. i am talking about what OTHER charges you will incur from your mobile carrier. jajah is simply a callback service that connects both ends of the call and can save you money. BUT, both phones need to be used through their VOICE gateways, not DATA for the duration of the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
The Company says they are headquartered in Mountain View, California.
yes their headquarters is in california, but it began and is still developed in israel. this info can be found here: jajah.com/info/about/company/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
If I call someone who is NOT also a Jajah member, I may up to 3 cents per minute for the call.
yes. thats correct. but again, thats the service you will be paying JAJAH. i'm talking about what you will have to pay on top of that to your mobile carrier. so if you call your buddy who isnt a jajah member and you initiate the call from your mobile phone with bbcall, then your paying the per min rate to jajah. assuming you DONT have an unlimited incoming call package from your mobile carrier, you will ALSO be paying airtime for the call (but local, not LD airtime charges).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
And if I call from my T-Mo phone, a java applet in the browser opens and connects me. Under those circumstances I am NOT using my T-Mo minutes plan, I am accessing my unlimited data plan. [which is what we have here in the U.S.].
actually, you ARE using your tmobile minutes plan. please look here in the forums that are actually on the jajah website for more info: forum.jajah.com/viewtopic.php?t=971

and i quote "The plug in is to make the "call request" (a request to the jajah server to connect the call for me)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
But, like I said in my initial post, in most circumstances I will be calling non-Jajah people, so even though I am NOT being charged for the call by T-Mo, Jajah would still be charging me up to 3 cents a minute.
again, yes you WILL be charged by tmobile for the call. BUT this is only for an incoming call. so if you have unlimited incoming OR you have eve/weekend and your doing this @ eve/weekend time, THEN you wont be charged for the call


and lastly, i was just making a post for informative purposes. i really dont care to have some little immature post war with you. if you dont like my post, fine. you dont have to. but i really dont think its necessary to start posting pictures and making rude remarks directly to me over and over in responses to an initial post for clarification purposes only. if you have any further concerns with jajah, i suggest you contact them directly. if your so unhappy with my information regarding the service, perhaps directing your concerns to them would be more ideal than knocking me down.

Last edited by srotman : 10-13-2006 at 04:23 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-13-2006, 04:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman

and lastly, i was just making a post for informative purposes. i really dont care to have some little immature post war with you. if you dont like my post, fine. you dont have to. but i really dont think its necessary to start posting pictures and making rude remarks directly to me over and over in responses to an initial post for clarification purposes only. if you have any further concerns with jajah, i suggest you contact them directly. if your so unhappy with my information regarding the service, perhaps directing your concerns to them would be more ideal than knocking me down.
Well, you are the one who decided to initially post sounding like a rabid Neanderthal.

And as to your trying to back out or explain your original "FALSE" information, your post speaks for itself. See it here, where I underlined in red your, as you would say, FALSE information.

I don't care about someone having a difference of opinion, but if your OP is the way you conduct your affairs, boy you must have problems.

I was not going to let you get away with you being a rude a** Oh, and smooth move trying to call me immature. Take a look at your OP.

I'm done with you, fool.

__________________________________________________ _______________


Offline  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
untjoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Republic of Texas
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 204
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Do you know the meaning of the word "false." That means the person is intentionally lying. Assuming I was not accurate [I was accurate], my conduct did not rise to the level of being false.

And I suggest you go to their site and verify the accuracy of your information. It seems you are relying on outdated info or you can't read.

Back to school for you.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/jajahplan.jpg
Actually false has nothing to do with your intentions. Lying means intentionally trying to mislead someone, however false is false, period. If I said today was Friday I would be false, whether I meant to mislead you or not. Anyway, point being Srotman was just explaining that the information you gave was false and that is why you are angry I believe. Thank you Srotman for giving me the real lowdown, as I was intrigued by this product on Handango, but now know it's not worth it at all.

San Francisco, I understand you were trying to help us out, but it was still incorrect information. No harm done.
Offline  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
krad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 0000
Posts: 788
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I thought you said goodbye forever SanFrancisco?

Personally i don't find anything offensive in this thread. You made some points that others find to be false or completely wrong.

Seriously, we are in the adult world... sticks and stones... buddy... sticks and stones....
Offline  
Old 11-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cloud909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
I thought you said goodbye forever SanFrancisco?

Personally i don't find anything offensive in this thread. You made some points that others find to be false or completely wrong.

Seriously, we are in the adult world... sticks and stones... buddy... sticks and stones....

Southern Jersey sucks.

Look at the date of SanFrancisco's post before you post a moronic response.

"Tee hee hee."
__________________
Better Looking Than You, Inc.
Blackberry Pearl
Offline  
Old 11-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
krad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 0000
Posts: 788
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud909
Southern Jersey sucks.

Look at the date of SanFrancisco's post before you post a moronic response.

"Tee hee hee."
lol... my bad...

i bet he is invisible on here anyway.
Offline  
Old 11-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
BlackBerry Master
 
MrKyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 4s
OS: iOS
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 4,546
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

New Forum Rules. Please Read!

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...uncements.html

~MrKyoo
__________________
http://twitter.com/mrkyoo
Offline  
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
cloud909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 52
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yay.
__________________
Better Looking Than You, Inc.
Blackberry Pearl
Offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default reboot required

hi. per one of the original questions in the post, i had to do a hard reboot (remove battery and put it back in) in order for the menu item to appear.

hope this helps.

Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.