BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conyers, GA
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Best Deal - Pearl (No Contract)

Please Login to Remove!

My wife is wanting a pearl but she is currently under contract; she just signed a 2 year back in July. What's the best method to get a good price on a Pearl without a contract. On eBay they are going for about $300 a piece. I thought about purchasing one through amazon.com for $50, then canceling the contract and paying the $200 early termination fee, making the the total net cost $250. Has anyone ever tried something like this through amazon? The t-mobile website lists the phone (without contract) for $379. What do you think my best option is? Thanks!
__________________
B Hope
8310 - AT&T (4.5.0.182/306)
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conyers, GA
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Amazon.com - Not an Option

Just read the fine print on Amazon.com, $200 is the T-mobile ETF. Amazon has a separate $250 ETF if you cancel in the first 6 months.

Any other ideas?
__________________
B Hope
8310 - AT&T (4.5.0.182/306)
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
paulbblc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,555
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd say ebay is definately your best bet.
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
Spamdumpster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, Mass.
Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 598
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I went in to the T-Mobile authorized dealer (i.e., not a corporate store) near me last Tuesday and asked if they could give me a deal on a returned or refurbed Pearl w/o a contract. The two guys gave each other a long look and then told me they could get me one for $325 by Saturday. I don't know if this was shady or not.

The same guys also tried to tell me that T-mobile would not/could not unlock it for me, then when I explained how I could get it unlocked, they tried to tell me that T-mobile would unlock it so I could use it on another network oversees but not it the U.S. They clearly wanted me to sign a contract.

Anyway, I'd rather pay $325 and get one from a place I could return it to, then pay $300 or even $250 on ebay.
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TheBigNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prescott, AZ
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.411
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 1,641
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Amazon won't work. In order to even get the rebate deal (which gives you the phone for free eventually) you have to agree to a new 2 year contract and be new to tmobile as well. . If you switch the Pearl off the contract within 6 months they take $250 back, and I'm sure take other the rebate (50) also. I just did this, so I read the fine print!
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
maz94protege's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0
Carrier: Verizon/AT&T
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Some places you can get it for $349, ie Compusa. comes with a sim card - non activated Pearl. Thats what i did to upgrade mine.
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
jomolungma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO
Posts: 45
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Amazon won't work. In order to even get the rebate deal (which gives you the phone for free eventually) you have to agree to a new 2 year contract and be new to tmobile as well. . If you switch the Pearl off the contract within 6 months they take $250 back, and I'm sure take other the rebate (50) also. I just did this, so I read the fine print!
I'm hoping this works for me. My wife and I signed up for TMO last week and bought Pearls from a local dealer. When I learned about the Amazon deal I returned the phones, intending to buy them again from Amazon. However, they told me that our service, even though we cancelled it, would remain "active" for 90 days and any new service would actually just be a re-opening of the old service, which Amazon might not like. So, to get around this we purchased the Amazon phones using my credit check information instead of my wife's. I'm hoping that TMO will see me as a "new customer" even though I was an additional phone on our other account, which was under my wife's name and SSN. We'll see. So far I haven't gotten any negative emails or messages from Amazon and the phones are due to ship today.

Of course, if this does work it might be limited to those who have an extra SSN handy, like a spouse. And it does ultimately require a contract, which is maybe not what the OP was looking for.
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conyers, GA
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks, I'll drop by Compusa today and see if the store near me has a similar deal.
__________________
B Hope
8310 - AT&T (4.5.0.182/306)
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape8pe
My wife is wanting a pearl but she is currently under contract; she just signed a 2 year back in July. What's the best method to get a good price on a Pearl without a contract. On eBay they are going for about $300 a piece. I thought about purchasing one through amazon.com for $50, then canceling the contract and paying the $200 early termination fee, making the the total net cost $250. Has anyone ever tried something like this through amazon? The t-mobile website lists the phone (without contract) for $379. What do you think my best option is? Thanks!
I was in the same boat. I ended up getting it from T-Mo for $379.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default what about a contract extension?

i have a 7100t that is over 2 years old, so i'm out of contract with tmo. i'm happy to re-up for another 2 years, does anyone know if that would help with a price reduction on the pearl?
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
paulbblc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,555
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah, I would imagine you'd get a nice discount. You are probably going to want to call them to find out for sure. Either that or check out the Amazon.com deal.
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf55555
i have a 7100t that is over 2 years old, so i'm out of contract with tmo. i'm happy to re-up for another 2 years, does anyone know if that would help with a price reduction on the pearl?
Yeah, you can get it for $199 with a 2 year extension.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conyers, GA
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.182
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 64
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Compusa $349

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape8pe
Thanks, I'll drop by Compusa today and see if the store near me has a similar deal.
Called over to CompUSA and they have the 8100 in stock for $349. Seems like the best deal so far. With shipping eBay will cost me around $330. As mentioned above, I would rather buy from a local retailer and spend $20 extra than have to deal with the headaches of eBay.

Purchased a new pearl last night, $349 out the door (plus tax). Thanks for everyone's help!
__________________
B Hope
8310 - AT&T (4.5.0.182/306)

Last edited by grape8pe : 11-07-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Offline  
Old 11-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 239
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can get the same deal at Tmobile. I went to the Tmobile store in the mall fully prepared to pay full price and get it unlocked to work on Cingular. The turds at the mall store would not even sell me one for the $499 price that was listed for 'no contract'. Finally I went to another store and they were really cool about it. You can tell them you want to buy a Pearl to use with the Tmobile Prepaid and you can get it for like $349. Plus they give you a free sim card that has 100 prepaid minutes on it.
Offline  
Old 11-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Posts: 31
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster
I went in to the T-Mobile authorized dealer (i.e., not a corporate store) near me last Tuesday and asked if they could give me a deal on a returned or refurbed Pearl w/o a contract. The two guys gave each other a long look and then told me they could get me one for $325 by Saturday. I don't know if this was shady or not.

The same guys also tried to tell me that T-mobile would not/could not unlock it for me, then when I explained how I could get it unlocked, they tried to tell me that T-mobile would unlock it so I could use it on another network oversees but not it the U.S. They clearly wanted me to sign a contract.

Anyway, I'd rather pay $325 and get one from a place I could return it to, then pay $300 or even $250 on ebay.
T-Mobile will unlock your phone. The overseas excuse it what I used because it was true. But once its unlocked they can't stop you from using it on Cingular or whatever GSM carrier you choose. Other wireless carriers aren't so nice about unlocking your phone for you.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.