Originally Posted by noctrine
I have done some quick checking, but couldn't find satisfactory answers to these questions. I hope you all can help. I just got a Pearl through Cingular, and I'm a smartphone newbie. Here goes!
1. How do I edit my contacts on the computer? I copied the contacts from the sim card of my old phone to the BB address book, but they're all kooky and I'd rather edit them on a computer. Do I HAVE to install outlook or is there a way built into the desktop software (I'm using 4.2 on windows XP)?
2. Do I need to "secure" my bluetooth devices at all? I got a headset and GPS puck, and they both have the "0000" code to get them to pair. Can anyone just pair with them if they guess that code? Do I need to set it to something else?
3. Is there a way to close applications? I'm wondering if sometimes it is a little sluggish because I have too many things opening. Holding "esc" closes some, but not all.
4. Has anyone figured out how to use this model as a modem for your laptop yet?
5. What's the main site people use for BB apps? Is it simply Handango or Tucows?
Thanks! So far I'm really excited about this phone.
Welcome to the forums....you're gonna love the Pearl.
1. There is nothing built into the Desktop Manager for that. Outlook is what I use...
2. No need to change the passcode for your headset/phone. Unless your phone is set to discoverable nobody can just connect to it without your permission.
3. There are always some applications running...Phone, Messages, BBMessenger, etc (I think there's 5 or so). If you click "close" from the menu selections instead of hitting escape and it doesn't close then it won't close. At least that's my experience.
4. Yes, the Pearl can be "tethered" (used as a modem) but I believe there is an extra charge from Cingular. You can search this forum for 'how-to' on tethering. Lots of posts about it here.
5. Those are two good sites...Check the "Aftermarket Software" discussion board (on this forum) for lots of 3rd party apps.
Enjoy your Pearl!