BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 8700c
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Insurance for 8100?

Please Login to Remove!

So I know there have been a few random threads about places to get insurance for your cell phone but I thought I would bring it up again for all the recent Cingular 8100 purchasers because Cingular doesn't offer coverage for this phone.

One option that was mentioned in a few other threads was a third-party, -non-carrier company... Anyone want to experience with that option? Anyone able to get coverarage fro Cingular...

One suggestion was go with a personal propoerty polcy with my homeworners polcy.. unfortunately my homewovers has a $500 deductible so it doesn't really make sense to count on it...

Any other recommendations>!?

- Chris
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
admartinezjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 125
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Cingular does not offer insurance on the Pearl? Well, I just called Business Care and told the rep on the phone that I wanted to cancel insurance on my old phone and transfer it to my new phone (Pearl). She told me it has been added, so I am going to have to call later to check because either she didn't know what the heck she was doing or Cingular is offering insurance on this phone.

Can anyone confirm? I don't want any surprises later on.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kyle,Texas
Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 198
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

safeware.com try that ive only heard good things about them, what is cool they have no deductable when you file a claim.
__________________
DONT TAKE MY KINDNESS FOR A WEAKNESS.
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sure you can add the feature to your account, although when you go to use it, they are going to say "Sorry Sir/Ma'am, although you have insurance, it does not cover the BB"

You might want to get that taken off. As far as insurance, covering it under your homeowners coverage is a waste of time, becuase most peoples deductable is at least 500$. The BB retails for about that much.

I dont think I would insure with 3rd party either. Who is to say that when the time comes to cash-in on that insurance policy for your BB that they are going to hold true??
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
admartinezjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 125
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Sure you can add the feature to your account, although when you go to use it, they are going to say "Sorry Sir/Ma'am, although you have insurance, it does not cover the BB"

You might want to get that taken off. As far as insurance, covering it under your homeowners coverage is a waste of time, becuase most peoples deductable is at least 500$. The BB retails for about that much.

I dont think I would insure with 3rd party either. Who is to say that when the time comes to cash-in on that insurance policy for your BB that they are going to hold true??
Thanks Corey, I think I may just remove this feature. I just talked to another rep and she said since I had insurance before, it should carry over for just one claim, although Cingular does not insure the BB Pearl (she said that herself). She said after one claim, then the insurance would be removed.

Not sure if I believe this. I may just cancel the insurance and save the $4.99/mo.

Another thing she said that I'm not sure is that the BIS Unlimited includes 1000 text/MMS messages, is this true?

Thanks again.
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Model: 8800
PIN: 23F51D67
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 48
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by admartinezjr
Thanks Corey, I think I may just remove this feature. I just talked to another rep and she said since I had insurance before, it should carry over for just one claim, although Cingular does not insure the BB Pearl (she said that herself). She said after one claim, then the insurance would be removed.

Not sure if I believe this. I may just cancel the insurance and save the $4.99/mo.

Another thing she said that I'm not sure is that the BIS Unlimited includes 1000 text/MMS messages, is this true?

Thanks again.
safeware.com is a very reputable company, and if you want/need insurance for your phone I would highly recommend them. I use them for insurance on all my laptops and have had several friends and co-workers who have filed claims before with no problems at all.

As far as your Blackberry plan with 1000 txt...you just need to make sure you are on the proper plan. Should run $39.99/month.
__________________
Chad
Cingular, 8800, OS v4.2.1.72
PIN # 23F51D67
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
admartinezjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 125
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeck
safeware.com is a very reputable company, and if you want/need insurance for your phone I would highly recommend them. I use them for insurance on all my laptops and have had several friends and co-workers who have filed claims before with no problems at all.

As far as your Blackberry plan with 1000 txt...you just need to make sure you are on the proper plan. Should run $39.99/month.
Thanks. I have the $39.99 BB plan. It states BB Unlimited All 4, the rep told me this is the one for unlimited (BIS) and includes the 1000 msgs. So I think this is the correct one.

I will check safeware.com. Thanks again.
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Coach Lon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thunder Road, Clearwater, FL
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 133
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

$60.00/year coverage for a $500 policy, with no deductable. Very reasonable I think. I just want to ask them is the premium transferable if I upgrade to another phone like an BB 8800 when it comes out?
__________________
Crackberry? You bet-love my Curve, but dreaming of a 9700 Onyx in my near future... Oh the humanity!
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 8700c
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
As far as insurance, covering it under your homeowners coverage is a waste of time, becuase most peoples deductable is at least 500$. The BB retails for about that much.
Even my insurance agent agreed -- it's not worth insuring via a homeowners policy. For me, I have a $500 deductible so it just isn't worth declaring anything lost unless it is well over $500 with that a deductible that large. Especially when you factor in the fact your premium gets raised if you have any claims on it. My agents advice was to save your money and just buy a new phone if something happens -- it's cheaper than the homeowners policy route (deductible + premium increase).

However, I am going to look into safeware.com and see what they have to offer. I, too, have heard them recommended and, assuming they are legit, seem like a good option.
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

safeware.com Funny I get 2 different quotes

If i use New York i get $52 for 500 of coverage

If I use New Jersey it goes up to $60

Also will they cover the BB 8100?
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Since the 8100 retails from T-Mobile for $379.99, I did a quote for $400 from Laptop Insurance From Safeware

For CA it's $48/year with no deductible. That's a lot better then the $5.99/mo with $110 deductible I'm paying through T-Mobile. I just might change to safeware.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Model: 8700c
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBWH
safeware.com Funny I get 2 different quotes

If i use New York i get $52 for 500 of coverage

If I use New Jersey it goes up to $60

Also will they cover the BB 8100?
As an insurance company they probably charge more for NJ because there is more theft/damage/loss there. Just statistics.

They do cover the BB8100... just select the PDA option.
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
RDx
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do they check ur phone or something? Can i like lets say not get it, then my phone breaks, and singup for it then. Instead of paying now for it.
Offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDx
Do they check ur phone or something? Can i like lets say not get it, then my phone breaks, and singup for it then. Instead of paying now for it.
The only thing it says is when you make a claim, they want proof of purchase that you actually had the device.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
SirCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 135
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Safeware no longer insuring PDAs

I called SafeWare yesterday and they won't underwrite any new insurance for PDAs or smartphones.

They took my name down and put me on a "waiting list". And said they would contact me if and when they decide to undertake providing insurance again for smartphones.

this suckss!!

Anyone come across any other alternatives - any other carriers?

thx
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
CA_Strom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chino Hills CA
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCharles
I called SafeWare yesterday and they won't underwrite any new insurance for PDAs or smartphones.

They took my name down and put me on a "waiting list". And said they would contact me if and when they decide to undertake providing insurance again for smartphones.

this suckss!!

Anyone come across any other alternatives - any other carriers?

thx
Same here. The rep. at Cingular referred me to Safeware.com since "We Don't insure the Pearls". I emailed safeware and was told that they were exploring the Smartphone insurance options and they would get back to me if they decided to offer a product.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCharles
I called SafeWare yesterday and they won't underwrite any new insurance for PDAs or Smartphones.

They took my name down and put me on a "waiting list". And said they would contact me if and when they decide to undertake providing insurance again for Smartphones.

this suckss!!

Anyone come across any other alternatives - any other carriers?

thx
Three months ago I commented on this Board that I did not see where Safeware said on their Site that they insured cell phones [Smartphones].

I also said that I sent them an e-mail three months ago asking about this, seeking a clarification, if you will.

Lastly, I reported that they never got back to me.

Because of all these questions and the non-response, I did not get the Safeware insurance.

Your update is most enlightening. I guess I feel lucky because a few times I filled out their online app but there was not spot to select "smartphone" as the device I was insuring.

How interesting, I guess there was a reason why they did not have cell phones listed as insurable devices.

Your post saved me money and frustration. Thanks.
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
SirCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 135
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

SanFran
did you end up insuring with TMo then?

I'm still looking at options to insure my Pearl.
Anyone got any recommendations?

TMo's deductible it too high in my opinion
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
kirk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeck
safeware.com is a very reputable company, and if you want/need insurance for your phone I would highly recommend them. I use them for insurance on all my laptops and have had several friends and co-workers who have filed claims before with no problems at all.

As far as your Blackberry plan with 1000 txt...you just need to make sure you are on the proper plan. Should run $39.99/month.

I visited safeware.com and all the have an option for is for laptops and computer related products. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
SirCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 135
Post Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk123
I visited safeware.com and all the have an option for is for laptops and computer related products. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Kirk - read my post & sanFran's post above . it will get you an idea of the situation


cheers
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.