BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry T-Mobile Pearl Coverage Issues-Please Advise

Please Login to Remove!

Hey All,

I just got my new Pearl 8100 today from T-Mobile. I love the phone, however, when I got in my house, I was shocked. I only get coverage in my kitchen and living room. I am so disappointed. I am coming from Sprint where I had great coverage.

I really wish I had coverage in my office and bedroom. I am curious what you guys would do. I can take the T-Mobile back for a refund or just live with it? What do you think?

My other options are going back to Sprint and getting a 8703e and their BB data plan for $40.00 or going to Cingular (It looks like they have better coverage in my area than T-Mobile) with their data plan for $40.00. Both are double the price of T-Mobile.....

Anyone have any positives about Sprint or Cingular? I would really like the Pearl, that is why I am leaning toward getting a plan with them.

Anyone else ever have this situation? Please help. Thanks.

Nathan
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know some people say that those antenna boosters don't work, but I believe they do. I had the same issue as you when I first got T-mo. I had perfect coverage outside, but the minute I would go in my house, my coverage dropped significantly. I got one of those stick-on antenna boosters and stuck it to the battery inside the phone and I have a full signal now. Try it out, they are only a couple bucks.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kasperapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,946
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, to me coverage would be an important issue.

If you like the Pearl, then you may want to go with Cingular. Their unlimited BB plan is just $29.99. Yes it $10 more than T-Mobile, but if you get a signal in your house with them, than it may be worth the extra money. Let us know what you decide to do.
__________________
CrackBerry

Please try a Search
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cingular BB Plan

Are you sure the plan is only $29.99 for unlimited BB? I don't need the corporate stuff.
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone know if you can get those boosters at any local stores? I would like to test this ASAP.

Thanks.
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrucker
Does anyone know if you can get those boosters at any local stores? I would like to test this ASAP.

Thanks.
I got mine at one of those cell phone accessory kiosks in the mall.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kasperapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,946
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrucker
Are you sure the plan is only $29.99 for unlimited BB? I don't need the corporate stuff.
Yes it is. I have a friend who is on it. Also, if you need help with Cingular, or have any questions, send a PM to BBF Moderator coreyg510. He works for Cingular and has offered his help to forum members. Good luck.
__________________
CrackBerry

Please try a Search
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mrpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 328
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

HOw much of an hassle is this booster? I mean does it turn the pearl into a ham radio? Is the phone going to have to be stationary and if not will he have to walk around with bunny ear antenna sticking out his pocket?
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 152
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have 1 or 2 bars in my house, I'm OK with it really, I don't drop calls or anything (I had the same problem with my Nextel, and would drop calls constantly)

I can live with it
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpg
HOw much of an hassle is this booster? I mean does it turn the pearl into a ham radio? Is the phone going to have to be stationary and if not will he have to walk around with bunny ear antenna sticking out his pocket?
No it's just a little metallic sticker that's about 1" x 2". You stick it inside the battery compartment and you can't see it.
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
secrecyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 1,238
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
Well, to me coverage would be an important issue.

If you like the Pearl, then you may want to go with Cingular. Their unlimited BB plan is just $29.99. Yes it $10 more than T-Mobile, but if you get a signal in your house with them, than it may be worth the extra money. Let us know what you decide to do.
Well... it is $29.99 but if you going to tether with your laptop (use the blackberry as a modem) than it's $74.99 (when you sign up with a new contract).
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
secrecyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 1,238
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
I got mine at one of those cell phone accessory kiosks in the mall.
Those things didn't sell very well so it may be hard to find them now. Some are better than others though. It depends on how they made it.
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
secrecyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 1,238
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
No it's just a little metallic sticker that's about 1" x 2". You stick it inside the battery compartment and you can't see it.
Just make sure you put it near by the antenna though.. .
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philly Suburbs
Model: 8100
Posts: 55
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The $29.99 BB plan on Cingular does NOT include BES access. From Cingular's site...

"Retrieve e-mail from up to 10 ISP accounts with a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld. Send, receive, forward and reply to messages while on the go! Service is not available at all times in all places. View Map and Coverage Limitations. Does not include connectivity to a corporate BlackBerry Enterprise Server."

Blackberry Unlimited is $44.99.

Joe
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kasperapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,946
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OP stated he didn't need the corporate stuff (BES), so the $29.99 is the right price point, but of course, if he wants to tether, that will be an extra charge with Cingular.
__________________
CrackBerry

Please try a Search
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 75
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would just cancel it and go with Cingular. It's really not worth the hassle. I'm in a fringe area for tmobile as well and it's very frustrating to drop calls or lose your signal... but it works well enough to get by. If I had it to do over again, I would go with Cingular since they have a tower nearby.

Let us know on the booster thing. If it works, I might look into it.
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phjnky
Let us know on the booster thing. If it works, I might look into it.
It's working great for me!
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cisco Engineer
 
mckinneycm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura, California
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.421
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,388
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Here's a link to one:

Antenna Booster - Cell Phone - Signal Booster
__________________
Corey McKinney

www.coreymckinney.com
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrucker
Hey All,

I just got my new Pearl 8100 today from T-Mobile. I love the phone, however, when I got in my house, I was shocked. I only get coverage in my kitchen and living room. I am so disappointed. I am coming from Sprint where I had great coverage.

I really wish I had coverage in my office and bedroom. I am curious what you guys would do. I can take the T-Mobile back for a refund or just live with it? What do you think?

My other options are going back to Sprint and getting a 8703e and their BB data plan for $40.00 or going to Cingular (It looks like they have better coverage in my area than T-Mobile) with their data plan for $40.00. Both are double the price of T-Mobile.....

Anyone have any positives about Sprint or Cingular? I would really like the Pearl, that is why I am leaning toward getting a plan with them.

Anyone else ever have this situation? Please help. Thanks.

Nathan
I had to go outside to get coverage from T-Mo. Go to Cingular and I bet you will be much better off. T-Mo might cost less but Cingualr have the coverage of them all!
Offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
mrpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 328
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
No it's just a little metallic sticker that's about 1" x 2". You stick it inside the battery compartment and you can't see it.
Thats pretty cool. I'm thinking if its cheap enough I'd probably get one regardless to help in those touchy areas I may get into throughout me travels.

Only think from what I'm reading I don't follow the logic of how this actually works. I'm now eletrical engineer though.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.