BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 63
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pearl database corruption - RIM claims its normal

Please Login to Remove!

My 2 week old Pearl had is Messages database corrupt today. For no good reason, it just stopped receiving emails from all but one account.

RIM had me clear the MESSAGES database using Desktop Mngr and that fixed the problem. However, I'm told by support that this problem can "happen from time to time". Plus they told me that all BBY models are affected. EEK!

So, I'm really concerned that I just bought a piece of junk that is not going to be reliable for receiving emails.

BTW, I'm using BIS and my firmware version is V4.2.0.64 (TMobile).

Is the BBY that flaky? If this has really been a problem I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before. I cannot imagine that the user base out there would stand for this nonsense.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
My 2 week old Pearl had is Messages database corrupt today. For no good reason, it just stopped receiving emails from all but one account.

RIM had me clear the MESSAGES database using Desktop Mngr and that fixed the problem. However, I'm told by support that this problem can "happen from time to time". Plus they told me that all BBY models are affected. EEK!

So, I'm really concerned that I just bought a piece of junk that is not going to be reliable for receiving emails.

BTW, I'm using BIS and my firmware version is V4.2.0.64 (TMobile).

Is the BBY that flaky? If this has really been a problem I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before. I cannot imagine that the user base out there would stand for this nonsense.
The BlackBerry is the most stable device out there IMHO. I haven't heard of that, personally, but anything is possible. I've been using BB for over 2 years now and have never had an issue like that. Occasionally I have had to resend service books but usually it's after a software upgrade somewhere.

You will be happy with your Pearl.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When you say "RIM" do you mean you talked to RIM or was it T-Mo? I could expect an answer like that from T-Mo reps who may not know all that much, but RIM saying that would be significant.

I have noticed that at times I don't get e-mails for an hour or two. I figure it's on the carrier's or RIM's end and don't worry about it since the problem fixes itself sooner or later.

I think the record is that one time I did not get e-mail for about three hours one night [I get e-mails about every 15 minutes, so none in three hours was odd. Plus, when things went back on line, I got about 20 messages all at once]. So I knew something was up and it was not on my end as the phone was working fine.

I am not too concerned since that does not happen too often and I do not rely exclusively on the Pearl to receive and save e-mails. In fact, I clean the master folder out about once a day.

But I am curious what causes the problem. One time when I called about the issue they simply said "there's a problem and we are fixing it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
My 2 week old Pearl had is Messages database corrupt today. For no good reason, it just stopped receiving emails from all but one account.

RIM had me clear the MESSAGES database using Desktop Mngr and that fixed the problem. However, I'm told by support that this problem can "happen from time to time". Plus they told me that all BBY models are affected. EEK!

So, I'm really concerned that I just bought a piece of junk that is not going to be reliable for receiving emails.

BTW, I'm using BIS and my firmware version is V4.2.0.64 (TMobile).

Is the BBY that flaky? If this has really been a problem I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before. I cannot imagine that the user base out there would stand for this nonsense.

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 12-08-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
When you say "RIM" do you mean you talked to RIM or was it T-Mo? I could expect an answer like that from T-Mo reps who may not know all that much, but RIM saying that would be significant.

I have noticed that at times I don't get e-mails for an hour or two. I figure it's on the carrier's or RIM's end and don't worry about it since the problem fixes itself sooner or later.

I think the record is that one time I did not get e-mail for about three hours one night [I get e-mails about every 15 minutes, so none in three hours was odd. Plus, when things went back on line, I got about 20 messages all at once]. So I knew something was up and it was not on my end as the phone was working fine.

I am not too concerned since that does not happen too often and I do not rely exclusively on the Pearl to receive and save e-mails. In fact, I clean the master folder out about once a day.

But I am curious what causes the problem. One time when I called about the issue they simply said "there's a problem and we are fixing it."
I doubt very seriously he got to rim for that issue i am sure it was tmob tech support
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 63
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I spoke with RIM support after spending an hour with TMO's useless BBY support. The RIM agent at first was trying to resend service books, had me delete the service books for my email accounts then resend them, re-register the host routing tables, then he had me delete and recreate my email accounts. Nothing worked. Then he put me on hold and came back with the recommendation to use Desktop Director and clear the Messages folder. After that, all was good.

So, YES, the RIM rep. came clean and told me its a known issue with ALL Blackberry devices. Then he backpeddled and said I would probably never see it happen again. He tried to say it was a fluke. I'm skeptical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I doubt very seriously he got to rim for that issue i am sure it was tmob tech support
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 63
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Pearl a lot. I just got this really uncomfortable feeling right now after seeing my emails not show up for 6 hours. Nothing from any of my accounts. The only account that worked when we tested was the tmo account. None of my POP accounts worked.

I want to like the Pearl, but also don't want to be overseas and have it flake out on me again!
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 204
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Pearl a lot. I just got this really uncomfortable feeling right now after seeing my emails not show up for 6 hours. Nothing from any of my accounts. The only account that worked when we tested was the tmo account. None of my POP accounts worked.

I want to like the Pearl, but also don't want to be overseas and have it flake out on me again!

no matter what the RIM person said thi is not a known issue or guess what it whould be "known" around here. the reason why your suprised no one has talked about this beause theres nothing to talk about its not a issue will all BB's, you must have been speaken to a new REP.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
krad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Model: 0000
Posts: 788
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Pearl a lot. I just got this really uncomfortable feeling right now after seeing my emails not show up for 6 hours. Nothing from any of my accounts. The only account that worked when we tested was the tmo account. None of my POP accounts worked.

I want to like the Pearl, but also don't want to be overseas and have it flake out on me again!
i have had that happen to me before with pop accounts on all devices and not just blackberries... the reason????? illegal characters embedded in the email. The only way i could get rid of one of these crappy emails was to log into a webmail application and manually delete it. Then email would flow fine.
Offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 204
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Pearl a lot. I just got this really uncomfortable feeling right now after seeing my emails not show up for 6 hours. Nothing from any of my accounts. The only account that worked when we tested was the tmo account. None of my POP accounts worked.

I want to like the Pearl, but also don't want to be overseas and have it flake out on me again!

no matter what the RIM person said thi is not a known issue or guess what it whould be "known" around here. the reason why your suprised no one has talked about this beause theres nothing to talk about its not a issue will all BB's, you must have been speaken to a new REP.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 63
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also spoke with a tech support supervisor today. He was aware of the issue and didn't seem to dodge it or try to hide it. He basically said the same thing that KRAD said, some emails can be improperly formatted and when the BIS system formats it for the Blackberry it can corrupt the units database (in odd and very occassional circumstances).

He claims they are constantly trying to work on ways to eliminate this, but with email body information constantly evolving, its a never ending process.

It just annoys me that I experienced it so soon after buying the device. I just know the problem will be back again. Call me a naysayer, but its usually true when problems rear their ugly head so soon after buying the Pearl.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.