BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: miami
Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Attachments

Please Login to Remove!

Hello Everyone,I have problem....
I don't recieve any attachments. When I open the message it says (# attachments) but doesn't give me option to open it. Also, I notice on the massages page it doesn't show a "paperclip" in the message title to indicate attachment? Any suggestions.
Thanks
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Pizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 2,385
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You need to be more specific about your setup. Are you using Desktop Redirector by chance?
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
TheBigNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prescott, AZ
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.411
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 1,641
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Make sure you check "attachment opener" (or something like that) in your Desktop Manager software that you install on the Pearl. You have options on what to install (various languages, Brickbreaker, the sample video, stuff like that). There is one for attachments. Connect the BB, open Desktop Manager and look at the Application Loader to see what you have installed.
Offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: miami
Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default thanks

I did not install that program, thanks
Offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: chicago
Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default no luck

i am very new to the BB and so far it is fantastic but i am having the same attachment issue. i have checked the applications and the *blackberry attachment service version 4.2* is installed but it seems selective in what it gives me as an option.
some emails i have recieved with images as a signature where able to be opened but other emails with a picture attachment where not. it tells me that there is an attachment just no option in the menu to open it and no paperclip in the message header.


other than trying to figure out how this thing works and getting my mind away from the wm5..i think im in.....

thanks in advance
nick
Offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am also having the same issue with emails sent via the redirector that contain attachments. I have the attachment service installed, however, do not have the option to open attachments on my BB when viewing the emails. I'm not sure if this is relevant, however, I am running the Desktop Manager software on two PCs. One PC is up and running all the time on my work network and is the "redirector". I also am running DB on my laptop. I've configured DB on this PC for BIS and am only synching my Outlook data.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

After spending a lovely morning on the phone today with T-Mobile and BlackBerry support I was told that BlackBerry redirector does not support forwarding of mail attachments using BIS. It is necessary to be connected to a BES server in order for attachments to be forwarded with email.

I'm kind of disapppointed as this would pretty much met all my needs if Redirector could have forwarded my email attachments.

For those of you that claim you receive attachments via Redirector on a BIS network can you provide more information?

Thanks to all.
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sahellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta
Model: Bold
PIN: Hole
Carrier: The New AT&T
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm going to ask a really stupid question since I am about a 2 week old newbie... Oh and a BES Admin BTW
Why use the redirector with BIS and not just set it up directly? I setup my gmail directly from the phone and all is working fine.
Just curious.
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahellis
I'm going to ask a really stupid question since I am about a 2 week old newbie... Oh and a BES Admin BTW
Why use the redirector with BIS and not just set it up directly? I setup my gmail directly from the phone and all is working fine.
Just curious.
I don't see it as a stupid question. I wish it were, so maybe that'd mean I'm overlooking an easy solution...

I'm using the Redirector to forward my corporate email that I can't access directly from my handheld as I'm not connecting to a BES server.
Offline  
Old 12-15-2006, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sahellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta
Model: Bold
PIN: Hole
Carrier: The New AT&T
Posts: 118
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad
I don't see it as a stupid question. I wish it were, so maybe that'd mean I'm overlooking an easy solution...

I'm using the Redirector to forward my corporate email that I can't access directly from my handheld as I'm not connecting to a BES server.

Ok I see what your saying now. Do you use exchange? Like I said previously I'm still very new to this, but if you have the capability to do pop3 could you not just log on to your BIS website and set up your account directly.

If I'm talking crazy someone please stop me.
Offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, ID
Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 42
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I forward my corporate email from Outlook to my BIS email address and have no problem opening attachments. That might not be your problem, however. I have found that my 8100 can't open attachments for unsupported file types. It shows the attachment, just like you say, but the attachment can't be opened unless the 8100 knows how to view that particular file type.
Offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 37
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndHalfCor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I forward my corporate email from Outlook to my BIS email address and have no problem opening attachments. That might not be your problem, however. I have found that my 8100 can't open attachments for unsupported file types. It shows the attachment, just like you say, but the attachment can't be opened unless the 8100 knows how to view that particular file type.

My corporate email is via an Exchange server. I could choose to forward all my messages to my BB address, although, that is against corporate security policies. We do have Outlook Web Access, however, it requires a digital certificate to be installed on the host computer. I'm in the process of obtaining a new certificate to see if I can install that on my Pearl and access my exchange server via the web browser.
Offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ibrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: earth
Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo
Posts: 375
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Make sure you check "attachment opener" (or something like that) in your Desktop Manager software that you install on the Pearl. You have options on what to install (various languages, Brickbreaker, the sample video, stuff like that). There is one for attachments. Connect the BB, open Desktop Manager and look at the Application Loader to see what you have installed.
Regardless, I can't open jpeg files. Any ideas?
Offline  
Old 12-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can someone explain how you open attachements on an email? I have gotten some mp3's emailed and photos.

Thanks

Blake
Offline  
Old 12-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: wisconsin
Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 29
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I was just playing around recently with attachments on my new 8100 and I noticed that I can email a jpg file to my phone and I can get the attachment and save it just fine. but if I email a wav file it says there is an attachment but I cant get the "open attchment" option in email. I thought Wav's were valid file types..

any thoughts? I am using pop3 access to my gmail account so I am essentially emailing the files to my gmail account and then reading them on the 8100.
Offline  
Old 12-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hf1khal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA
Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T
Posts: 906
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy
I was just playing around recently with attachments on my new 8100 and I noticed that I can email a jpg file to my phone and I can get the attachment and save it just fine. but if I email a wav file it says there is an attachment but I cant get the "open attchment" option in email. I thought Wav's were valid file types..

any thoughts? I am using pop3 access to my gmail account so I am essentially emailing the files to my gmail account and then reading them on the 8100.
I would like to find out too.

P.S. I have Cingular
__________________
BB 8800c / 8100c / 8700c / iphone3G
Offline  
Old 12-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Model: 8100
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi,

Mine was the same couldnt open any atachments even though it said they were there, I then went it to desktop manager. In there i clicked on apliation loader, then when it looks at your installed programmes and settings one of them is called atachments! click on that and I was in business!!
__________________
Steve

Pin 204E3F70
Blackberry Pearl 8100 - Orange UK (Unlocked)
Telefónica Móviles OS 4.2.0.67
Offline  
Old 12-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hf1khal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA
Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T
Posts: 906
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foneman2000
Hi,

Mine was the same couldnt open any atachments even though it said they were there, I then went it to desktop manager. In there i clicked on apliation loader, then when it looks at your installed programmes and settings one of them is called atachments! click on that and I was in business!!
I can open jpegs but can not open mp3. Attachments are in there.
__________________
BB 8800c / 8100c / 8700c / iphone3G
Offline  
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
noname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
OS: 10.0.0
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Posts: 1,504
Post Thanks: 6
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

The BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone must be activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server running software version 4.1 Service Pack 2 to send and receive WAV files.
__________________
Native but 4th class citizen of a nation governed by idiots who import congestions & contention.
Offline  
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
hf1khal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA
Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T
Posts: 906
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname
The BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone must be activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server running software version 4.1 Service Pack 2 to send and receive WAV files.
Well I was able to get it via an MMS. I gues they some how want to limit us so they can make more money on none BES based ones.
__________________
BB 8800c / 8100c / 8700c / iphone3G
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.