BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Model: rbe41
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Help! This can't be right! Can it?

Please Login to Remove!

I just bought the 8100 Pearl and am stunned to find out that in order to send picture messages or download ringtones I have to pay an EXTRA $20 a month!!! WTF? Seriously? I thought I could at least hook my phone up to my computer to get my photos but it doesn't appear so. So I paid $200 for this phone and now they want even more money on top of my monthly bill to send a picture text??? Is there any way around this? I am going to have to return it if not...thanks...
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,769
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 439 Times in 379 Posts
Default

Seriously? Yes.
You must have a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to fully utilize a BlackBerry.. Sorry.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
disp350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 113
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am sorry to hear you did not get the plan features you were expecting. But these days, you need to have them spell out everything in writing (and in the contract) before you buy, expecially if you are new to using Blackberry technology. However, if you do decide to purchase the data plan, I dont think you will be disappointed with how much you can really do with the Pearl. Its truly a great device to use.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyaicha
I just bought the 8100 Pearl and am stunned to find out that in order to send picture messages or download ringtones I have to pay an EXTRA $20 a month!!! WTF? Seriously? I thought I could at least hook my phone up to my computer to get my photos but it doesn't appear so. So I paid $200 for this phone and now they want even more money on top of my monthly bill to send a picture text??? Is there any way around this? I am going to have to return it if not...thanks...
Are you saying that you cannot download your pics from the phone to your computer without the $20 plan? I am not sure, but I do not think that is correct. You do not need a plan to transfer pics from the Pearl to the PC.

As to e-mailing of pics, how did you buy your Pearl? On the Net? If you bought it from a dealer, in person, he or she should have explained how the phone's "extra features" cost extra $.

Actually, nowadays most people know that there are extra costs when using additional features on a phone, that is, other than making calls. But I still think using the camera is free.

Before the days of removable storage and USB cable connections, with Companies like Sprint one would have to pay the Company $10 a month so one could upload pics to Sprint's site, then to download them to one's computer. Ten dollars a month to use the camera? It was a ripoff but back then there was no way to get the pics off the camera and on to a PC.

Be advised that the $20 a month data plan with T-Mobile includes the ability to use the BlackBerry e-mail service. So you need that to send and receive BB e-mail.

Also, T-Mo's $20 unlimited data plan is the cheapest of all the carriers. It's a bargain.

But if all of the above does not please you, best to return the phone.

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 01-29-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
billclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Framingham, MA
Model: 8120
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 253
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

While paying for a data plan is the best (and for a data device, the most obvious)... you could always use Blackberry Desktop 4.2's Media Manager to transfer pictures and ringtones to and from the phone.
__________________
Bill Clark
AT&T 8120 Unlocked | AT&T | BES 4.1
PM for PIN

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
hrhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 90
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyaicha
I just bought the 8100 Pearl and am stunned to find out that in order to send picture messages or download ringtones I have to pay an EXTRA $20 a month!!! WTF? Seriously? I thought I could at least hook my phone up to my computer to get my photos but it doesn't appear so. So I paid $200 for this phone and now they want even more money on top of my monthly bill to send a picture text??? Is there any way around this? I am going to have to return it if not...thanks...
I don't know what provider you're with, but if you look on your bill, you were most likely already paying an extra 20 bucks a month to do MMS, which is what you would need at the minimum to send picture text. At least that's the way it is with Cingular.

With a data plan, you'll be able to do far more than just send/receive MMS, and it'll be unlimited too.

Once you get a data plan, you'll find that most of the other charges on top of phone usage will not be necessary anymore, so the pricing actually works out.

R.
==
__________________
New Blackberry user
Blackberry Pearl
PIN: 23ED9C50
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
simeezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

at first, i just got the pearl without the data plan. i was just curious and tried it out. now i can't live without it. hahaha
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ny
Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 22
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Are you saying that you cannot download your pics from the phone to your computer without the $20 plan? I am not sure, but I do not think that is correct. You do not need a plan to transfer pics from the Pearl to the PC.

As to e-mailing of pics, how did you buy your Pearl? On the Net? If you bought it from a dealer, in person, he or she should have explained how the phone's "extra features" cost extra $.

Actually, nowadays most people know that there are extra costs when using additional features on a phone, that is, other than making calls. But I still think using the camera is free.

Before the days of removable storage and USB cable connections, with Companies like Sprint one would have to pay the Company $10 a month so one could upload pics to Sprint's site, then to download them to one's computer. Ten dollars a month to use the camera? It was a ripoff but back then there was no way to get the pics off the camera and on to a PC.

Be advised that the $20 a month data plan with T-Mobile includes the ability to use the BlackBerry e-mail service. So you need that to send and receive BB e-mail.

Also, T-Mo's $20 unlimited data plan is the cheapest of all the carriers. It's a bargain.

But if all of the above does not please you, best to return the phone.
I agree with sanfrancisco 20$ is a great price i did my homework with t-mobile they have the best priced rate plan for unlimited data
__________________
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can download using Bluetooth too, or if you install a Micro SD card, the memory behaves like a flash drive. So you can up/download with no software.
Offline  
Old 01-29-2007, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Krazilyinlove712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Florida
Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Posts: 17
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's only $20 bucks. I think it's pretty good...i personally don't mind paying $20 bucks that's useful to me.

Also i don't think you need any plan to be able to transfer pics from ur pearl to your pc. But i dunno...maybe.

I wouldn't return the phone just b/c you dont want to pay a lil extra. It's really a gr8 phone, and very enjoyable. I say just pay the $20 bucks if the transferring to your pc doesn't work.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Model: rbe41
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I didn't buy the Pearl because it's a data phone. I didn't even know what that was. I bought it because I got a huge financial aid check and I liked how the phone looked and how light it felt, and I was REALLY tired of my phone. I figured out last night how to upload my photos to my computer, so no issue there anymore. Thanks for the tips and I really hope I don't become a pretentious BlackBerry owner!
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can get financial aid for buying a Pearl??? Where do I apply?
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyaicha
I didn't buy the Pearl because it's a data phone. I didn't even know what that was. I bought it because I got a huge financial aid check and I liked how the phone looked and how light it felt, and I was REALLY tired of my phone. I figured out last night how to upload my photos to my computer, so no issue there anymore. Thanks for the tips and I really hope I don't become a pretentious BlackBerry owner!
Glad to see you have your priorities. Sounds like our tax dollars ara at work again!
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700G
Posts: 555
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Glad to see you have your priorities. Sounds like our tax dollars ara at work again!
Sounds like an assumption has been made.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.