BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 116
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gmail not working properly?

Please Login to Remove!

I setup my pearl today and I am having problems with Gmail. First is that there is a ~5 minute delay from when an email is sent to when it pops up.

Second is a copy of all my emails is showing up in my SMS folder. Anyone help?
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
kurrupt_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.979
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 606
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodl
I setup my pearl today and I am having problems with Gmail. First is that there is a ~5 minute delay from when an email is sent to when it pops up.

Second is a copy of all my emails is showing up in my SMS folder. Anyone help?
Sounds like you didnt set it up right.....I hope this helps.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.Providence, RI
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

HOW-TO: Prevent G-mail "Sent Items" from being sent to your handheld.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 116
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That wasn't what I was reffering to. I setup the filter. All of the messages people send me are showing up in my SMS folder and Email folder.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.Providence, RI
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

oops
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.Providence, RI
Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 80
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think it has something to do with the theme.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
pdshepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tennessee
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 44
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a similar issue with mine. Every time i send a GMAIL message I get a copy of it sent back to my own blackberry.

I have looked at all the settings.... its got me at a loss....
__________________
Curve on AT&T - reformed iPhone convert
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
sman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 75
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshepherd
I have a similar issue with mine. Every time i send a GMAIL message I get a copy of it sent back to my own blackberry.

I have looked at all the settings.... its got me at a loss....
Access your email accounts via mytmobile and within your gmail account settings apply a filter so any messages with the "From" field contain your name are filtered out.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

For the issue of the sent mail being sent back to you as new mail please see this post for the fix. It was posted above but I'll post again.

HOW-TO: Prevent G-mail "Sent Items" from being sent to your handheld.

The fact that it shows in your "SMS" folder is merely the fact that it's not a dedicated "SMS" folder. It's a "Messages" folder where all messages, emails, sms, and mms messages get dumped. You may have a separate [email address] folder which filters out just those emails but, still, everything also dumps into the Messages folder.

Hope this helps.
John
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 116
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
For the issue of the sent mail being sent back to you as new mail please see this post for the fix. It was posted above but I'll post again.

HOW-TO: Prevent G-mail "Sent Items" from being sent to your handheld.

The fact that it shows in your "SMS" folder is merely the fact that it's not a dedicated "SMS" folder. It's a "Messages" folder where all messages, emails, sms, and mms messages get dumped. You may have a separate [email address] folder which filters out just those emails but, still, everything also dumps into the Messages folder.

Hope this helps.
John
Thanks John. Is there anyway to setup a seperate SMS/MMS folder? Right now I have the general messages folder and a
[email address] folder. Do you have any idea why there is such a delay when receiving messages sent to my gmail account?
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
boombacloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think Gmail is having issues today on some of their servers. I normally get instantaneous delivery, but for the last couple of hours, I've had a delay of 5+ minutes. It will probably work itself out. Be patient.

*edit* I just tested my account and I'm getting gmails pushed instantaneously now.

Last edited by boombacloud : 01-30-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
militman5583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Bliss
Model: 8100
PIN: PM Me
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 81
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Hope I can Help

I talked to a blackberry Rep about this Issue because i did not give it much thought but i have gmail and am doing the same thing. Basically he said that the icon on the phone which says your [email address] is a link to take you directly there on the web. If you want to look at the email via gmail then use that or anything else you wanna use through gmail. The SMS folder is where things will be sent to if they are forwarded because they have to go through another filter or server or something. The e-mail is not forwarded straight to the phone. From SMS mail(where it is forwarded to) you can view and reply to any e-mail though. You can also delete the email from there and your gmail. Hope that helps.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
militman5583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fort Bliss
Model: 8100
PIN: PM Me
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 81
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Delay

Sorry meant to put in last thread but I do not get a delay when using gmail at all. So maybe the server is bad right now like another post put.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by militman5583
I talked to a blackberry Rep about this Issue because i did not give it much thought but i have gmail and am doing the same thing. Basically he said that the icon on the phone which says your [email address] is a link to take you directly there on the web. If you want to look at the email via gmail then use that or anything else you wanna use through gmail. The SMS folder is where things will be sent to if they are forwarded because they have to go through another filter or server or something. The e-mail is not forwarded straight to the phone. From SMS mail(where it is forwarded to) you can view and reply to any e-mail though. You can also delete the email from there and your gmail. Hope that helps.
Not true. There are two ways to get GMail on your BB. You can set it up using the BIS (setup internet email icon.) This will give you a mail icon with [email address] on the homescreen. Your Gmail will be *pushed* to that folder automatically, and usually, almost immediately.

The other way to get GMail is to download the GMail application. This puts a "GMail" icon on your screen that opens into a mail viewer. When you open the app you must then *check* for new mail on the GMail server as it doesn't get automatically pushed to the device. I believe this is what the *Blackberry rep* was referring to. However, this is not what this thread was referring to. I believe the OP was referring to the GMail setup through BIS.
Offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodl
Thanks John. Is there anyway to setup a seperate SMS/MMS folder? Right now I have the general messages folder and a
[email address] folder. Do you have any idea why there is such a delay when receiving messages sent to my gmail account?
There may be one or two themes that have separate SMS folders. You'd have to change themes as there is no way to change it within the theme.

I don't know why the delay with GMail. I noticed a delay a week or so ago....some were delayed by hours. It eventually worked itself out. GMail is usually nearly instant.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 116
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks, GMail seems to be working now. Still annoying that my email messages show up in my messages box.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
wobly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Model: 8900
OS: 5.0.0.411
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 235
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
The other way to get GMail is to download the GMail application. This puts a "GMail" icon on your screen that opens into a mail viewer. When you open the app you must then *check* for new mail on the GMail server as it doesn't get automatically pushed to the device. I believe this is what the *Blackberry rep* was referring to. However, this is not what this thread was referring to. I believe the OP was referring to the GMail setup through BIS.
This is how I get my Gmail and it works great. I have my work email on the BB service and my Gmail working with their app. Never had any issues.

Visit gmail.com/app on your mobile web browser.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Network Engineering.
Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 36
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Setting up BIS to pop email from gmail (or any other POP for that matter) usually has about a 5-10 minute delay.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
boombacloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Pain
Setting up BIS to pop email from gmail (or any other POP for that matter) usually has about a 5-10 minute delay.
Not on mine. I have experienced the delay just the other day, but that was the first one since I originally set the phone up in late September. The delay was gone an hour or two after noticing it. Now, I have no delay and delivery is immediate.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.