BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 194
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cingular services+Blackberry Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

Hey

I just got the blackberry pearl on cingular and I had a question about the service. Do I really need Blackberry unlimited data plan for 29.99 or can I just get the MEdia Net plan for 14.99, 5MB+1000 messages. I really dont want to pay an extra 14.99 for something I may not be using that much.

Thing is, with bb unlimited data i may be getting internet and email but i have to pay an extra 4.99 for 200 messages plus an extra 39.99 for 450 min. Thats almost 80.00 p/month, thats why I am asking if I can just use the MEdia Net plan.

Thanks agian
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
canonbomb1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 978
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_44
Hey

I just got the blackberry pearl on cingular and I had a question about the service. Do I really need Blackberry unlimited data plan for 29.99 or can I just get the MEdia Net plan for 14.99, 5MB+1000 messages. I really dont want to pay an extra 14.99 for something I may not be using that much.

Thing is, with bb unlimited data i may be getting internet and email but i have to pay an extra 4.99 for 200 messages plus an extra 39.99 for 450 min. Thats almost 80.00 p/month, thats why I am asking if I can just use the MEdia Net plan.

Thanks agian
To get internet on any BB you have to get a BB data plan. NO way around it.
__________________
Unlocked 8100c w/ 1 gb microSD, BSE total body skin, and rubberized case or silicone skin.
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 194
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Have you tried the MEdia Net though? I mean has someone actually tried the MEdia net plan??
Offline  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
dgray8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: halfway between here and there
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 608
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ditto...and I work for cingular so I know it....w/o BB data plan you don't get BB gateway on the acct.....then BB won't be able to do internet or BIS email.
__________________
A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
Blackberry 8100
http://www.picresize.com/
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
canonbomb1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 978
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_44
Have you tried the MEdia Net though? I mean has someone actually tried the MEdia net plan??
No one can use media net without have a BB data plan. You could get the ones with unlimited access and still have no internet.
__________________
Unlocked 8100c w/ 1 gb microSD, BSE total body skin, and rubberized case or silicone skin.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
beninark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arkansas
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 157
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

wow conflicting messages...I talked to two different cingy people at two different stores and they both told me I would be able to use the media bundle stuff but I would loose the push e-mail and all that but would still be able to use the internet via the media net icon on the pearl.

btw I am on unlimited data so I have no clue if they were just blowing smoke or not...just figured I would tell what I was told.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,798
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

Whoever told you that you would get Internet via MediaNet was incorrect.

Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, all you have is voice and SMS text.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 194
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark
wow conflicting messages...I talked to two different cingy people at two different stores and they both told me I would be able to use the media bundle stuff but I would loose the push e-mail and all that but would still be able to use the internet via the media net icon on the pearl.

btw I am on unlimited data so I have no clue if they were just blowing smoke or not...just figured I would tell what I was told.

thats why i have my doubts. I have this guy that worked for cingular a really long time and told me media net 14.99 would work great and I wouldnt need BB unlimited. Unfortunatly, some idiot at cingular rep signed me onto it when I called them troubleshooting and I had no idea what he was asking.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: i5s
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 27,798
Post Thanks: 33
Thanked 441 Times in 381 Posts
Default

When it shows "Data Connection Refused" and you can't get on the Internet or IM or anything, then you will know that MediaNet does nothing on a BlackBerry.
Offline  
Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
zerosanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Don't mean to hijack you thread just curious, I'm paying $45 for the unlimited plan on cingular. Am I getting jipped here? Thanks.....
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
canonbomb1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 978
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosanity
Don't mean to hijack you thread just curious, I'm paying $45 for the unlimited plan on cingular. Am I getting jipped here? Thanks.....
There is a BIS Unlimited data plan that is for $34.99 w/ out a voice plan ($29.99 w/ a voice plan). Get Started | Cingular Wireless
__________________
Unlocked 8100c w/ 1 gb microSD, BSE total body skin, and rubberized case or silicone skin.
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
dgray8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: halfway between here and there
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 608
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

the BIS unlimited one only works if you don't have your BB on a corporate blackberry enterprise server (BES).
__________________
A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
Blackberry 8100
http://www.picresize.com/
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
canonbomb1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 978
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray8
the BIS unlimited one only works if you don't have your BB on a corporate blackberry enterprise server (BES).
Right you are, I have a feeling that the $45 plan mentioned is for a BES data plan.
__________________
Unlocked 8100c w/ 1 gb microSD, BSE total body skin, and rubberized case or silicone skin.
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: new orleans
Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You have to get the BB data plan there is no way around it. I asked the same question when I joined the boards because of conflicting information from cingular reps. I even had the media bundle. It does not work.
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo
Posts: 15
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default BlackBerry Internet.

If you have media net on your account and you have a blackberry you can configure the APN via options/ TCP which will give you full internet access to run your own apps such as email, and other 3rd party apps that require tcp. You will NOT be able to use standard blackberry internet access or email such as through a BES service. So long story short the built in email client in the blackberry will be dead. The trick is to know someone at a cing store who will add media net to your account because most cingular owned stores will not if you have a blackberry or PDA. They will make you choose a blackberry or PDA plan like these guys are trying to do. The other trick is throw your sim in a standard phone and call and have media net added to your account then take the sim out and throw it in your BB ;)

You can use any media net plan or PDA plan, ie: wap.cingular or isp.cingular.

Hope that is clear for everyone...
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
zerosanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You guys just saved me $15 a month! Thanks. The 29.99 plan does include unlimited internet access correct?

Last edited by zerosanity : 02-04-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 194
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBlueBerry
If you have media net on your account and you have a blackberry you can configure the APN via options/ TCP which will give you full internet access to run your own apps such as email, and other 3rd party apps that require tcp. You will NOT be able to use standard blackberry internet access or email such as through a BES service. So long story short the built in email client in the blackberry will be dead. The trick is to know someone at a cing store who will add media net to your account because most cingular owned stores will not if you have a blackberry or PDA. They will make you choose a blackberry or PDA plan like these guys are trying to do. The other trick is throw your sim in a standard phone and call and have media net added to your account then take the sim out and throw it in your BB ;)

You can use any media net plan or PDA plan, ie: wap.cingular or isp.cingular.

Hope that is clear for everyone...

Alright good! I do have the media net added in through a friend taht did it for me. Now, what do I do? What programs do I get and how does this work? Please...help! What webmail/internet should I use then??
Offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Texas_Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 117
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosanity
You guys just saved me $15 a month! Thanks. The 29.99 plan does include unlimited internet access correct?
YES!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.