BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
7100simpleisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 355
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why the Blackberry native MP3 player is sufficient

Please Login to Remove!

IMHO, the native Pearl MP3 player has all the feature any user needs at this point in tim. I have tried several that are out there roaming around and they all have several downfalls that I cannot overcome. I am writing this only because a lot of people don't think about what the native player can do and what they are not getting when they are purchasing third party apps for MP3 to use on their phone. If the developers can overcome these issues then I will stand corrected but the native player has several advantages that most users should be aware of before forking out their hard earned money.

1. Use of volume control hardware buttons is not available. The third party apps are trying to use keyboard buttons for volume but you have to have the app in the foreground which is a huge pain if you need to turn the volume up or down quickly and/or often.

2. Intergration with mute button to pause. They are not currently structured to pause the song when the Mute button is pushed. When you press Mute it keeps playing just silently so you miss the songs and waste the battery life.

3. Intergration with phone. When the phone rings and you answer most of them have very wierd reactions including continuing to play and having to listen to both the music and the caller at the same time. You have to exit out of the phone during the call and manually pause the track to avoid this. Luckily, to date, in my testing of these applications I have not heard from anyone on the other end that they could actually hear my MP3s but it is still very distracting, especially when the phone is largely used for business.

The native player does have all of these functions and most can be figured out by playing with the menus and/or searching the forum:
  • Play Track
    Play All Folder Tracks
    Play All Folder and Subfolder tracks
    Shuffle
    Repeat
    Replay
    Fast Forward
    Rewind
    Pause
    Next Track (if shuffled this will go to a random track)
    Previous Track
    Stop
    Play
    Playlists (need to use Windows Media Player while Pearl is connected in Mass Storage Mode but it is quite easy and effective)
    Support for large files (I regularly listen to a 156MB file)
    Plays videos (none of the third party apps do this yet)

As for my complaints on the current interface for the native Media Player, here they are:

Shuffle and Repeat should be selectable options in the user interface and not require the menu access but why should I expect RIM to do this when Apple hasn't done this for the iPod (which requires going through multiple menus to toggle these two functions).

Native ability to create playlists directly on the device and ability to add all MP3 including subfolders into playlist as an option.

Allow Play All (which plays all MP3s in the folder and subfolders) without having an MP3 in the root of the folder. Currently, it is required to have an MP3 file in the root folder to have the Play or Play Folder or Play All option. I currently have a 5 millisecond MP3 call Play All in the folder so I have the Play All function in the root of every folder that has multiple subfolders. However, a playlist function would probably handle my issue with this.

I know these things are not one size fits all and everyone has their preferences and opinions and methods for using these apps but I thought I would put all of my thoughts in writing to inform some of the newbs that think they need a new MP3 player. Also, to note my dislikes of the current MP3 player but overall the native player is functional and works very well.

Now, on a final note, if a third party can somehow develop software magically have basic hardware buttons for next and previous track it would be great....this is a joke by the way, RIM should have created a method for changing tracks using hardware buttons if you are not in the Media app since they already have pause and volume, a couple simple buttons for changing tracks would have been nice.

Good luck to all developers that are creating MP3 players and if you overcome the three main issues noted I may be inclined to retract my opinion.

I am sure I will get bashed by many for stating my opinion but remember it is humble.

7100sib ---> now an avid 8100 user

-------------------
edited to remove the harsh criticism of third party apps and focus on the positives of the native player.

Last edited by 7100simpleisbetter : 03-01-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great thorough post!
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

I've been told by developers that RIM doesn't allow access to the volume keys by 3rd party developers. However, TeleNav has access to them so....I don't know. It's probably $$.
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You post is well written, clear, concise and informative. You nail it on the head about all the issues with cell phone MP3 players.

Oh... and thanks for reminding me of the problems I have had with phone MP3 players.

E.g., one time I was on my road bike listening to some music videos.

An ex-girlfriend called while I was minding my own business having a pleasant time near the Golden Gate Bridge. Sidenote: She was an ex because she thought I was too much of a player with the ladies, so to speak. She calls to see if maybe I have reformed.

So I answer the phone and the music does not cut out. She can hear what's playing. Unfortunately I had just downloaded and converted for the Pearl 2 Live Crew's tune "Pop That Coochie." She did not like hearing words like "I'll fall in love if you kiss it".... and "Give you a dollar to make me holler."

Oh well, so much for playing tunes on my cell phone.

Here is the video if you want to put it on your Pearl so to get in hot water too. It's formatted for the Pearl so you don't have to do anything except play it at the next church service.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bbpopthatcoochie.avi

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 03-01-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
canonbomb1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 978
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Lol, dont you just love the timing of people. And i do like the built in player of the Pearl. It does all that i need it to without adding extra things to my internal memory.
__________________
Unlocked 8100c w/ 1 gb microSD, BSE total body skin, and rubberized case or silicone skin.
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
baconismidog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 192
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You are correct, but I find that you "catch more files with sugar than vinegar" so I might re-title this post something like:

Why the Blackberry native MP3 player is the best

I know that the 3 party guys are putting in lots of midnight oil on this problem and they probably don't think those efforts are useless.

Don't think I don't agree with you, I just like everyone to be nice ;)
__________________
Mobile IT consultant
Download the Blackberry Video Converter
(if you like it, review it )
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconismidog
You are correct, but I find that you "catch more files with sugar than vinegar" so I might re-title this post something like:

Why the Blackberry native MP3 player is the best

I know that the 3 party guys are putting in lots of midnight oil on this problem and they probably don't think those efforts are useless.

Don't think I don't agree with you, I just like everyone to be nice ;)
You are right. I had trouble gleaning from his post that he thought the Pearl's MP3 player was OK. At least I think he was saying that.
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Berryguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 112
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I love the player that came with my 8100, it has all the functions that one possibly needs to listen to music. For me I need do not need anything fancy, but it has pretty much what a person can ask for. I am not going to load anything new for a music player...
__________________
Berryguy
"He,who does not hope to win has already lost"
Offline  
Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks for bringing many of the issues to our attention via this detailed study of the different players. let me take some time to answer you in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
IMHO, all of this interest in a third party MP3 player is a waste of time. I have tried several that are out there roaming around and they all have several downfalls that I cannot overcome. I am writing this only because a lot of people don't think about what they are not getting when they are purchasing third party apps for MP3 to use on their phone. If the developers can overcome these issues then I will stand corrected but the native player has several advantages that most users should be aware of before forking out their hard earned money.
This is a relatively new player and we are continually improving it, feel free to post your suggestions and how you like to have the player - we can add them to future version. So far we have addressed 200+ issues and improvements since our first beta announcements. No software is 100% complete but with all your help - we can make to achieve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
1. Use of volume control hardware buttons is not available. The third party apps are trying to use keyboard buttons for volume but you have to have the app in the foreground which is a huge pain if you need to turn the volume up or down quickly and/or often.
As stated by JohnClark - and in my previous other posts, RIM has not made that available through public APIs that we 3rd party developers can make use of. But if RIM opens it up - we can sure use it to make the apps even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
2. Intergration with mute button to pause. They are not currently structured to pause the song when the Mute button is pushed. When you press Mute it keeps playing just silently so you miss the songs and waste the battery life.
There have been some requests for this, and we have added this to internal version that is scheduled for release sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
3. Intergration with phone. When the phone rings and you answer most of them have very wierd reactions including continuing to play and having to listen to both the music and the caller at the same time. You have to exit out of the phone during the call and manually pause the track to avoid this. Luckily, to date, in my testing of these applications I have not heard from anyone on the other end that they could actually hear my MP3s but it is still very distracting, especially when the phone is largely used for business.
multiPlay initial versions had this problem, but now that is fixed, while during a phone call - the song is paused and resumed sooner after call is completed. Again this was suggested by some users and was improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
The native player does have all of these functions and most can be figured out by playing with the menus and/or searching the forum:
  • Play Track
    Play All Folder Tracks
    Play All Folder and Subfolder tracks
    Shuffle
    Repeat
    Replay
    Fast Forward
    Rewind
    Pause
    Next Track (if shuffled this will go to a random track)
    Previous Track
    Stop
    Play
    Playlists (need to use Windows Media Player while Pearl is connected in Mass Storage Mode but it is quite easy and effective)
    Support for large files (I regularly listen to a 156MB file)
    Plays videos (none of the third party apps do this yet)
Yes we do agree, all we are attempting is to provide multiple playlists management, and are adding many features that are not present with BB mediaPlayer atp (will comment more on it once it is available). Video playing - we will work on it for version 2.0 for now it is only a music player - sorry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
As for my complaints on the current interface for the native Media Player, here they are:

Shuffle and Repeat should be selectable options in the user interface and not require the menu access but why should I expect RIM to do this when Apple hasn't done this for the iPod (which requires going through multiple menus to toggle these two functions).

Native ability to create playlists directly on the device and ability to add all MP3 including subfolders into playlist as an option.

Allow Play All (which plays all MP3s in the folder and subfolders) without having an MP3 in the root of the folder. Currently, it is required to have an MP3 file in the root folder to have the Play or Play Folder or Play All option. I currently have a 5 millisecond MP3 call Play All in the folder so I have the Play All function in the root of every folder that has multiple subfolders. However, a playlist function would probably handle my issue with this.

I know these things are not one size fits all and everyone has their preferences and opinions and methods for using these apps but I thought I would put all of my thoughts in writing to inform some of the newbs that think they need a new MP3 player. Also, to note my dislikes of the current MP3 player but overall the native player is functional and works very well.

Now, on a final note, if a third party can somehow develop software magically have basic hardware buttons for next and previous track it would be great....this is a joke by the way, RIM should have created a method for changing tracks using hardware buttons if you are not in the Media app since they already have pause and volume, a couple simple buttons for changing tracks would have been nice.

Good luck to all developers that are creating MP3 players and if you overcome the three main issues noted I may be inclined to retract my opinion.

I am sure I will get bashed by many for stating my opinion but remember it is humble.

7100sib ---> now an avid 8100 user
The prime reason we live is we can hear you and improve our software - where RIM does not

I think that is the reason 1000+ users have made purchase with us and 3000+ users use the freeware versions.

Sure I think you will consider your opinion in future as we improve the software further.

Thanks again for pointing us how we should improve
__________________
Dollars 5 Complete - Making Mobile Complete
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
7100simpleisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 355
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I hear everyone and maybe I was too harsh initially, I softened the blow to focus on the positives, at least in the title and lead in.

7100sib
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
kathrynhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Model: EVO!
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 2,015
Post Thanks: 30
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Sidenote: She was an ex because she thought I was too much of a player with the ladies, so to speak.
LOL! Is she right??
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
tobiasj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

I know this has nothing to do with the MP3 player on the 8100, technically its the video player. But the only problem I have with the built in media player is the load time on a video (Seems to take FOREVER compared to other phone video players I have used) and the forward and reverse. If I have a 2 hour movie each click forward or back is 6-7 minutes long and there is no way I can find to move a smaller amount. (if I am wrong and there is a way PLEASE someone let me know what it is...

As far as it playing MP3's, well. thats what my ipod is for, I have a few mp3's on the 8100 and it plays and handles them well enough for me. Though I can see how if you wanted to use the 8100 as your mp3 player, it would be a challange.

-John
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Model: 7100T
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

All said and done! I trust the BB guys and would definitely go for the Pearl MP3 player than any other third party player
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
mayoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Norcross, Ga
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I too love the MP3 player built into my Pearl.
It's easy to use and covers everything I want/need.
I have a really nice MP3 player and it now collects dust. (Rio Chiba)
It's so nice to have one device that I can rely on to do so many things and do them so well.

Nicely written post.
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
7100simpleisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 355
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj
I know this has nothing to do with the MP3 player on the 8100, technically its the video player. But the only problem I have with the built in media player is the load time on a video (Seems to take FOREVER compared to other phone video players I have used) and the forward and reverse. If I have a 2 hour movie each click forward or back is 6-7 minutes long and there is no way I can find to move a smaller amount. (if I am wrong and there is a way PLEASE someone let me know what it is...

As far as it playing MP3's, well. thats what my ipod is for, I have a few mp3's on the 8100 and it plays and handles them well enough for me. Though I can see how if you wanted to use the 8100 as your mp3 player, it would be a challange.

-John
Tobiasj,

With large MP3s there is the same problem when FF/RW. With MP3s at least if you hold the shift key (upanddown arrows next to the * key) and scroll it will scroll each second. Let us know if this trick works with videos as well.
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
tobiasj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 28
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
Tobiasj,

With large MP3s there is the same problem when FF/RW. With MP3s at least if you hold the shift key (upanddown arrows next to the * key) and scroll it will scroll each second. Let us know if this trick works with videos as well.

It does work in the Video player as well, I should have guessed that I suppose.. It still isnt perfect but thats a lot nicer now that I can adjust by the second.. use the 7 minute jump to get to the general area and the second by second jump to home in.. I tried the cap and symbol keys as well hoping for a 1 min jump but to no avail. If I could get a 1 minute jump I think it would be exactly what I need.

-John
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
Stinsonddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern California
Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,518
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Question for the more experienced Pearl users. Can you start in the middle of a list and tell it to play all the songs after the list? Will the player resume at the last song played in a list if you a close it and reopen it?
__________________
Shortcuts Rule!! Download Link:[Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips ] GET TORCHED
@ Stinsonddog
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel
Posts: 335
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Answer to Stinsonddog:
wrt to both built in player and mediaPlayer/multiPlay:
1] Yes, it will play the rest of the songs continuously till end
2] No, if you close the player (Menu option->close) or Stop the song, but Yes, if you chose to pause the song and hide (for mediaPlayer/multiPlay - use Close menu option instead).
__________________
Dollars 5 Complete - Making Mobile Complete
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Coast, Canada
Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 167
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Why can't the stoopid WMP 9 play it? It says it doesn't have the codecs for it. I downloaded a codec pack, but doesn't seem to be in it...

CODECS

Real Player doesn't want to do it either.

Aaaah! Memories from the old days, I want to see this vid!

EDIT: I of course got it to play on the Pearl... i was looking to play it on the PC before I moved it onto the Pearl. Still curious...

Last edited by Lotus99 : 03-02-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Offline  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Henderson, KY
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.148
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 178
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just be happy your native media player wasn't built by Microsoft
__________________
Left my storm for a tour and havn't looked back!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.