Originally Posted by TorontoWorldWide
Thanks for your help. Is there any fix other than patching the BES? My company's IT department is centralized thousands of miles away and I won't be able to tell them they need to patch the system. Is there a more recent Blackberry OS or something else I can do to my Pearl to fix the problem?
P.S. What exactly is the known bug? Unable to delete some emails or the lack of reconcilliation?
The bug is the non-deleting messages. The e-mail reconciliation problem is closely related.
There's really nothing you can do. It's a BES problem and must be handled at the server end.
Here's more info from RIM, including a possible workaround that utilized the Backup/Restore functionality of Desktop Manager. It sucks, but it's the most you can do if your BES admins are unable to do their jobs.
First, backup the handheld.
1. Connect your handheld to your personal computer.
2. Open Desktop Manager and double-click Backup and Restore. The Backup and Restore window appears.
3. Click the Backup button. You are prompted to save the backup file in a folder. Save it where you can access it later.
4. Click Save. The data process completes.
Next, clear the handheld message database.
1. In the Backup and Restore window, click the Advanced button. A window opens with two lists - the Desktop File Databases list, and the Handheld Databases list.
2. In the Handheld Databases list, highlight the Messages database. Click Clear.
3. You are prompted with a warning message. Click OK to continue. The database is erased from your handheld.
Finally, restore the handheld message database.
1. In the same window with the databases lists, in the File menu, select Open.
2. Go to the location where you saved your handheld backup, and click Open.
3. In the Desktop File Databases list, highlight Messages. Click on the arrow pointing towards the Handheld Databases list.
4. You are prompted with a warning message. Click OK to continue. The message database is restored to your handheld.
5. Click Close > Close to return to Desktop Manager. You are now able to delete unwanted messages from your handheld.