BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question HELP!!!! New to BB and have a few questions!

Please Login to Remove!

I just got the pearl a few days ago and i've noticed a few things.

1) I still can't figure out how to assign a ringtone. I've gone to the address book and done the set tune for caller and it doesnt work. Anyone know how to fix this?

2) The hourglass comes beofre the phone rings and when it finally rings, it's 1 second before it goes to voicemail! Is this normal or can this be fixed?

Thank you in advance!

My pin # is 23F632F7 if anyone would like to help out!
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Jeanette...

1--Go to your Profiles. Scroll down to advanced and edit the active profile.
Scroll to PHONE, click to EDIT.
Look at both OUT OF HOLSTER and IN HOLSTER sections. Do you have the volume set to MUTE? Scroll to bottom of screen... where is says DO NOT DISTURB, is that set to YES?

You can set the individual personal ringtones, but your profiles still must be enabled correctly.

2- I don't know, sounds you need to pull the battery (while the BB is powered) and let the BB reboot. See if that issue continues to occur and let us know.
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Jeanette...

1--Go to your Profiles. Scroll down to advanced and edit the active profile.
Scroll to PHONE, click to EDIT.
Look at both OUT OF HOLSTER and IN HOLSTER sections. Do you have the volume set to MUTE? Scroll to bottom of screen... where is says DO NOT DISTURB, is that set to YES?

You can set the individual personal ringtones, but your profiles still must be enabled correctly.

2- I don't know, sounds you need to pull the battery (while the BB is powered) and let the BB reboot. See if that issue continues to occur and let us know.

Thank you for responding! I went to profiles and to phone and it is not on mute and it says no on the do not disturb. I was trying to delete the custom ring tones and maybe start that over again but I couldnt figure that out either! I dont think that is something tmobile would be able to help me with either! I'll keep playing with it to try and figure it out!

I didnt realize until last night that you can customize each alert on the different profiles! LOL I still have alot to learn!

I did to the reboot and the hour glass doesnt seem to come on anymore! Thank you sooooo much!
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
EPIC MOD
 
ezrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Model: ZED10
OS: DOS 3.1
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 12,214
Post Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Certainly glad you got going!
Welcome to BBF

plenty of help here
__________________
ZED 10
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Certainly glad you got going!
Welcome to BBF

plenty of help here
Thanks! I need ALOT of help! I cant seem to figure anything out! :( very frustrating!!!
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteC View Post
Thanks! I need ALOT of help! I cant seem to figure anything out! :( very frustrating!!!
Greetings JeanetteC, and Welcome To The Forum!

Your learning a brand new device that is different in a very positive way. Give yourself a break, relax and take your time learning it. Believe me I was "just as frustrated" only 8 months ago, when I got my first BB. Your doing great, you have found the best forum (I have certainly learned a lot here) and ENJOY!

Cheers....
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Jeanette, ditto archer, take your time. May I suggest you go to the link below and at the bottom of the page, download the 8100 Tips sheet from Stinsonddog. Read them over, and play/learn with your phone while looking over the sheets. You will be amazed at how easy some of the tips come to you ONCE you actually perform them... much easier to remember them.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips

Good luck.
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 11
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Jeanette, ditto archer, take your time. May I suggest you go to the link below and at the bottom of the page, download the 8100 Tips sheet from Stinsonddog. Read them over, and play/learn with your phone while looking over the sheets. You will be amazed at how easy some of the tips come to you ONCE you actually perform them... much easier to remember them.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips

Good luck.
Thank you! I just printed it out! I will look over it when I get home!
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Some additional questions...

I'm also new and have a few questions too. Thanks in advance!

  1. I want the red indicator light to flash only when there's a new text message, not a new email
  2. I'd like it to automatically add dashes between phone numbers like every other phone (i.e. 281-555-1234 automatically instead of 2815551234)
  3. What's the best way to import a phone book. I don't use Outlook for this, but just have all my numbers from my old phone in an Excel file
  4. Question: If I don't manually close an app by selecting it from the option menu, will it continue to run and use resources?
  5. Is there a voice recorder application? Can I assign it to the "Mute" key on the top of the phone?
  6. When somebody calls, I'd like to easily add that number to my address book for an existing entry. How?
  7. Also, when you click the "Add to address book" option, it autimatically puts the number in the 'Work' field. How can I put it in 'Home" or "Mobile"?
  8. When I connect by USB, I get a message asking if I want to to turn on "Mass Storage Mode", but that I might not be able to access some media files in this mode. What's it referring to?
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
DocGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 276
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Shawntech1, for your question#1, you can have led blink only with sms or email or whatever you want by going to your profile and editing the sms or email settings...there is a option to have led on or off for each (sms, pin, mms, email, etc).
__________________
Certified Crackberry Addict
DocGo
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indiana
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 134
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntech1 View Post
I'm also new and have a few questions too. Thanks in advance!

  1. I want the red indicator light to flash only when there's a new text message, not a new email
  2. I'd like it to automatically add dashes between phone numbers like every other phone (i.e. 281-555-1234 automatically instead of 2815551234)
  3. What's the best way to import a phone book. I don't use Outlook for this, but just have all my numbers from my old phone in an Excel file
  4. Question: If I don't manually close an app by selecting it from the option menu, will it continue to run and use resources?
  5. Is there a voice recorder application? Can I assign it to the "Mute" key on the top of the phone?
  6. When somebody calls, I'd like to easily add that number to my address book for an existing entry. How?
  7. Also, when you click the "Add to address book" option, it autimatically puts the number in the 'Work' field. How can I put it in 'Home" or "Mobile"?
  8. When I connect by USB, I get a message asking if I want to to turn on "Mass Storage Mode", but that I might not be able to access some media files in this mode. What's it referring to?
1. taken care of above, go under your sound profile and then edit each one the way you want
4. That's a good question, one I'd like an answer to
5. Voice recorder is under Applications. Says something like Voice Note. I know you can send them so I assume you can save it. The Mute key on the top isn't programmable, but you could assign it to one of the side keys.
7. Don't think you can, just have to retype it I believe, I stored all my numbers on my sim from my old phone and they went to Work by default. I just had to retype them all.
8. Not sure about that, but I've never had any problems at all. Theres an option to auto-turn-on that mode when connected by usb and then it auto-disables when you disconnect. I think it refers to the phone not being able to access things on the card when it's plugged in and that option is turned on.

Last edited by ChesterJT : 04-12-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies! Also, I've got one more:

9) I have one letter icon for 'Messages' and another letter icon that has my email messages. The general 'Messages' icon has a duplicate listing for all of my emails, but I would like it to only contain SMS text messages. Any way to do this?

Thanks again
Offline  
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indiana
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 134
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntech1 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Also, I've got one more:

9) I have one letter icon for 'Messages' and another letter icon that has my email messages. The general 'Messages' icon has a duplicate listing for all of my emails, but I would like it to only contain SMS text messages. Any way to do this?

Thanks again
That bugged me as well, and the only way to do that is by upgrading to the new OS, which is very easy and works like a charm. That was my number 1 reason for switching, so I could have seperate folders.
Offline  
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterJT View Post
That bugged me as well, and the only way to do that is by upgrading to the new OS, which is very easy and works like a charm. That was my number 1 reason for switching, so I could have seperate folders.

What OS do you have that does this? I have v.2.0.64 (Platform 2.2.0.37)? I checked online and it appears this is the latest.

Thanks
Offline  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

3. To import from Excel, in Excel, save as text file. The, via Dekstop Manager and Synch. Configure your sync with ASCII IMPORTER/EXPORTER. Make sure you have a clean txt/csv file to import, follow the instructions about comma deliminated, etc.

4. Yes. Some will. Your Phone, Messages, Home Screen, Browser will always run in background, but you can click ALT - ESCAPE to see what all applications are running the background. Close any games, an ACTIVE webpage, etc.

6. Yes, Click on that call in Phone Log, COPY, go to Address Book, paste where appropriate.

7. No need to re-type, Scroll over with SHIFT SCROLL and COPY, Delete, and then paste where you want it.

Maybe some of this helps... Good luck.
Offline  
Old 04-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 8
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
4. Yes. Some will. Your Phone, Messages, Home Screen, Browser will always run in background, but you can click ALT - ESCAPE to see what all applications are running the background. Close any games, an ACTIVE webpage, etc.

Holy crap!! There's a LOT of stuff that keeps running! Is there any way to shut them all down at once or do you have to go thru each one individually?

I've also got a new question:

11) I'm using BB Dimension Today theme. I've been able to re-organize the icons once I hit menu from the home screen, but I can't figure out how to re-organize them on the home screen itself (I'd really like an icon for address book instead of Call Log)

Thanks again!
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.