BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 5
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 0 memory left, and acting wierd

Please Login to Remove!

My BB has been fine for a few months now and all of the sudden under "status" it says I have 0 bytes free. I deleted all my pictures, cleared the cashe, my messages deleted themselves this morning out of nowhere, and I have not opened any attachments.

I did, however, install google maps recently. I am not sure if the downloaded maps stay on the blackberry, but I have tried to go into the options and clear the map but it doesnt seem to do anything.

My messages still come in just fine and store in my message folder so there must be some room. But they all disappear at random times along with my call log. Any ideas?
Offline  
Old 04-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The 'D'
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

turn off bb, then remove battery, then place it back in, that should fix it
Offline  
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Willie115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx
Posts: 486
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The reason why he is suggesting that is because Black berries aren't like other phones that you can leave on forever... Pulling the battery does a reset and clears the cache memory.
__________________
Very happy with my BlackBerry Pearl 8100 !
PIN: 23E72DC3
Offline  
Old 04-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
snowskier79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1,759
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115 View Post
The reason why he is suggesting that is because Black berries aren't like other phones that you can leave on forever... Pulling the battery does a reset and clears the cache memory.
Which is commonly referred to as either a battery pull or hard reset.
Offline  
Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 12
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier79 View Post
Which is commonly referred to as either a battery pull or hard reset.
i thought hard reset was when it was reset to original settings (??).

what's nice is that soft reset app that's out there. suppose to work just like pulling out the battery w/ out having to pull out the battery . it just won't work if ur pearl freezes up on you.
Offline  
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Model: 9550
OS: 5.0
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,137
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarrales View Post
i thought hard reset was when it was reset to original settings (??).

what's nice is that soft reset app that's out there. suppose to work just like pulling out the battery w/ out having to pull out the battery . it just won't work if ur pearl freezes up on you.
I tried this soft reset app but it took forever for my pearl to boot up once I used it !

I just pull the battery, even though that also takes up to a minute or more to boot up :(
__________________
Fred
Offline  
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: winnipeg
Model: 9700
PIN: 235AC24D
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 216
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trezcan View Post
My BB has been fine for a few months now and all of the sudden under "status" it says I have 0 bytes free. I deleted all my pictures, cleared the cashe, my messages deleted themselves this morning out of nowhere, and I have not opened any attachments.

I did, however, install google maps recently. I am not sure if the downloaded maps stay on the blackberry, but I have tried to go into the options and clear the map but it doesnt seem to do anything.

My messages still come in just fine and store in my message folder so there must be some room. But they all disappear at random times along with my call log. Any ideas?
i beleave you can set how long your messages are stored can't you? i know you can set how long your sms messages are stored for, i can't speak for emails as i dont have data
Offline  
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

There are some threads on how to clear out memory. Basically, get rid of languages you don't use, themes, pics, ringtones, etc. Get an SD card for all your media.
Offline  
Old 05-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
zero7404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tri-state
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.328
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i have a question about memory usage...being that there are lots of apps out there 4 us...you can only install so many with only 64 MB device mem. i have about 22 MB of free mem (device) with a few apps installed, but i feel like i can't install many more. Since the device also has sd memory, is it possible to take advantage of it ? i don't think its possible to use sd memory to install apps on it (essentially making it part of the OS), but it would be awesome if it could do that, as well as share some as RAM.
__________________
AIM//App World//BEIKS Dictionary//DataVault//GPS Tracker//MissingLight//QuickLaunch//StormLevel Pro//StormLight//Tetris//VA Wallpaper Changer
Offline  
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
zero7404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tri-state
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.328
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

...there's no way to do a soft reset without the app ?
__________________
AIM//App World//BEIKS Dictionary//DataVault//GPS Tracker//MissingLight//QuickLaunch//StormLevel Pro//StormLight//Tetris//VA Wallpaper Changer
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.