BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Typing-BB not as intuitive as used to be?

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my red BB for a little over a week, I think.. from day one, I noticed how quickly and accurately it formed the right words, with the exception of, maybe, email addresses. Like it should be. Impressive.

Well, as of last couple of days, the BB has gone "stupid." It still forms the right words some of the time, but if i were to guess, maybe about 50% of the time (from maybe 85-90%)...

ANybody have any clue as to what might be going on? Could it be because of some downloads? I have the ColorPearl and Fitness Software, though the Fitness software has been on since the very beginning....
Offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
beyondalegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 815
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
I've had my red BB for a little over a week, I think.. from day one, I noticed how quickly and accurately it formed the right words, with the exception of, maybe, email addresses. Like it should be. Impressive.

Well, as of last couple of days, the BB has gone "stupid." It still forms the right words some of the time, but if i were to guess, maybe about 50% of the time (from maybe 85-90%)...

ANybody have any clue as to what might be going on? Could it be because of some downloads? I have the ColorPearl and Fitness Software, though the Fitness software has been on since the very beginning....
Mine too went retarded a few months ago, it still annoys the crap out of me. If try to write "I've" it types "Ice", if I write F*** it types out Duck. I can understand it not recognizing the curse words, but it is still annoying.
__________________
"When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Sh*t Gold"
Offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there a cure for this "stupidity"?
Offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yea, it sounds like for both of you, your BB might be "learning" your mistakes, i.e., mistyped words. If you type the correct word three times and "accept" it as correct by hitting the space bar, it shold relearn your "preferred" words. Obviously words like "duck" are correct words, as well as "ice" for "I've".

Last edited by JSanders : 05-14-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

You can also clean out your Custom Wordlist and see if there are word there you don't want (or add the ones you do want). Check AutoText, too.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So you guys are saying it's just our two BBs having this issue, right? YOUR BB type ok?
Offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,875
Post Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 55 Posts
Default

When I had the 7100i it would do odd things like the 'ice' vs I've thing. I'd either try the 'type it 3 times correctly' trick, or check the Custom Wordlist/AutoText.

I had words like ygr (for the) get in there and not even realize it.
__________________
No longer a BES Admin, but it was fun while it lasted!
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
When I had the 7100i it would do odd things like the 'ice' vs I've thing. I'd either try the 'type it 3 times correctly' trick, or check the Custom Wordlist/AutoText.

I had words like ygr (for the) get in there and not even realize it.
bumping up the thread....

Can I ask you what you mean exactly by "typing it 3 times correctly"? Do you mean physically typing so each letter is correct-deleting the wrong one and punching the key until you get the right one? or do you pick the right letter combination from the auto complete list as you type (or whatever i's called)...? ALso, where do you type? Can it be done as you type a text message (type it 3 times, then delete the first two), or do you use MW or smth like that?

My BB won't get YOU, it keeps coming up as TOU (similarly, TOUR not YOUR), i tried putting it in the CUstom word list, i don't see it but the menu says the word already exists. The only way I can get YOU is type it and then correct TOU to YOU from the letter combinations that BB displays. Very annoying.

Anybody help? Please? please?
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
PCgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L.A.
Model: iP 4S
OS: iOS 5
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 361
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I totally feel your pain Lyoshka. I am totally in love and addicted to my Pearl but since I write a ton of email each day and happen to type a lot of uncommon names and other proper nouns in the emails, I always end up spending too much time correcting spelling and it is really annoying. I will actually consider the 8300 line if and when it comes to T-Mo because of the QWERTY keyboard.
__________________
Posting from an iGadget. LVMHgirl on tiPb.com
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
beyondalegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 815
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
Can it be done as you type a text message (type it 3 times, then delete the first two), or do you use MW or smth like that?
This does not work, I think you need to type the same word in 3 different messages. I just tried it with I've and I still get Ice!
__________________
"When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Sh*t Gold"
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
The only way I can get YOU is type it and then correct TOU to YOU from the letter combinations that BB displays. Very annoying.
That is exactly how you do it. I have had success with typing (and accepting the correct word via using the space key) three times and subsequently, the BB will give me the correct word as the first choice upon completion.

Type completely the word (don't fix and delete letters along the way) and when it appears, accept the correct word. The best way to use SureType is to watch your thumbs to hit the correct keys and at the end of the questionable word, scroll to the correct word in the highlight and accept it via the space key.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
That is exactly how you do it. I have had success with typing (and accepting the correct word via using the space key) three times and subsequently, the BB will give me the correct word as the first choice upon completion.

Type completely the word (don't fix and delete letters along the way) and when it appears, accept the correct word. The best way to use SureType is to watch your thumbs to hit the correct keys and at the end of the questionable word, scroll to the correct word in the highlight and accept it via the space key.
see that's just it...it does NOT work for me. It worked in the beginning, I think...and then, the BB just went "stupid" on me... i just tried again after reading your post....and 4 times in a row, it's still "TOU" even after i accepted the correct version...... Maybe it's the OS? Maybe I should upload the OS (ROgers, i think?) that the first sticky thread here talks about?? If i type out longer words and go all the way through without correcting it, it gives me a totally bogus words.... which can only be redone completely... (eg, "questionable" just came out as"wiestupbanle")
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crimson Tide Moderator
 
JSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North of the moss line
Model: 9xx0
OS: 7.0sumtin
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 41,907
Post Thanks: 60
Thanked 244 Times in 182 Posts
Default

1- Do you even have SureType turned on? Look at Options > Languages, Input Method.
2- Same place, what is your Input Language?
3- Custom Word List... Edit and delete the word TOU, and all the other mistakes it has learned.

Otherwise, yes, your BB has gone "stupid". Who is your BB hanging out with, maybe when you are not watching, some Nokia phone? lol
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
1- Do you even have SureType turned on? Look at Options > Languages, Input Method.
2- Same place, what is your Input Language?
3- Custom Word List... Edit and delete the word TOU, and all the other mistakes it has learned.

Otherwise, yes, your BB has gone "stupid". Who is your BB hanging out with, maybe when you are not watching, some Nokia phone? lol
~Input Language is set to English (United States)
~How do I turn on Suretype?? Under Input Options, I have all boxes checked (Compound Words, COntext Learning, Auto Word Learning, Use ADdress Book as Data Source, and Automatic Word Leaning from Messages)
~ There is an Option called "Use Input Language Support".. do I want that checked to "Yes"? right now it's on "No".
~Custom Word List... tried to update it many, many times... now, it has many words, but not as many as I would expect if the phone is "learning" every new word I type... should that indicate a problem?
TOU is not in the Custom Word list and hasn't been (checked before), yet it still types it.....

Do you think wiping everything off and uploading Rogers OS would help?
Current history: this is a Red Pearl...second day I had it and tried to load an app, my browsers were wiped off...i spent 3 hours with cingular support on the phone and we loaded the Black Pearl OS on there, since Red one had bugs....
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wanted to mention this......... every time, i mean, EVERY time, I add or delete a program through the Desktop Manager, i get a msg, "Applications to be deleted: Blackberry API library, Brazilian language support... and whatever i am deleting." DOn't care about Brazilian Language Support, but should the API library (whatever it is) be deleted??
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
beyondalegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 815
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Who is your BB hanging out with, maybe when you are not watching, some Nokia phone? lol
Hahaha... I guess mine is cheating on me too!
__________________
"When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Sh*t Gold"
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
Wanted to mention this......... every time, i mean, EVERY time, I add or delete a program through the Desktop Manager, i get a msg, "Applications to be deleted: Blackberry API library, Brazilian language support... and whatever i am deleting." DOn't care about Brazilian Language Support, but should the API library (whatever it is) be deleted??
NO! Don't delete that. Some people have not had a problem with deleting this, I suspect becuase their BES server just pushes the API library back onto their phones.

I, however, am not connected to a BES so when I deleted it I had to wipe my entire phone and reinstall the firmware because I couldn't figure out how to put it back.

Uninstalling the API library resulted in 1/2 my programs not functioning, and the Browser was deleted!
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
muck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: optus
Posts: 351
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

yes... my pearl... loves tou also.. even if it isnt in the custom word list..

also loves beef instead of need.. even tho i hardly ever use beef....

it has gone more stupid the longer i have owned it....
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
adorableone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.282
Carrier: AT&T US
Posts: 46
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.7196/1662; en; U; ssr))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka
Wanted to mention this......... every time, i mean, EVERY time, I add or delete a program through the Desktop Manager, i get a msg, "Applications to be deleted: Blackberry API library, Brazilian language support... and whatever i am deleting." DOn't care about Brazilian Language Support, but should the API library (whatever it is) be deleted??
When I received my red pearl, the first time I ran the desktop mgr it wanted to delete the API library. There wasn't even an option to uncheck it. Subsequently it caused my phone to lose all of its media and internet functions.

Even reloading the OS and updating to the DM sp1 didn't fix the problem. Upgrading to the TIM release solved that headache.
Offline  
Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Lyoshka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorableone View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.7196/1662; en; U; ssr))



Upgrading to the TIM release solved that headache.
How do I upgrade to the TIM OS?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.