BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Posts: 113
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Two email questions - BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I have 2 questions about email (BIS).

1. if i set my current @whatever.com email address to be forwarded to my blackberry email address (so email will be pushed to the device) can i set it up so that when i reply it shows up as being from @whatever.com and not the blackberry address that the whatever.com email is being forwarded to?

2. when i send messages from the device will i be able to see them on my device too? or is that a BES only feature?
Offline  
Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

If you "forward" to your blackberry email address then the reply will show as from your blackberry address. There is an app called BBReply that may do that but I haven't used it a long time. If you set up your current@whatever address in the BIS then BIS will poll your email address and then you will receive the emails normally on your device. Use the setup internet email icon to add your email address to the system.
Offline  
Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Posts: 113
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
If you "forward" to your blackberry email address then the reply will show as from your blackberry address. There is an app called BBReply that may do that but I haven't used it a long time. If you set up your current@whatever address in the BIS then BIS will poll your email address and then you will receive the emails normally on your device. Use the setup internet email icon to add your email address to the system.
thanks! im on a limited data plan so i'd rather have email pushed instead of polled. in addition to the convenience it would use less data since it would only be using data when email is pushed and not when it is polling every 15 mins.

what about if i were to get a hosted BES? If I set up hosted BES with my own domain would the email be pushed? my concern with BES is the wireless reconciliation. wouldn't that mean that if things were to be accidentally deleted from my BB (ie memory leak issue) they would be deleted from the server and lost as well?
Offline  
Old 05-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Posts: 113
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The post here: Sending email WITHOUT Blackberry address

says that you can set a reply to email address. Does this mean that email forwarded to the BB address and replied to would show up as being from the BB address, but with the correct Reply To: address, or does it mean it can be set so that looks like it's just from the whatever.com address?
Offline  
Old 05-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,686
Post Thanks: 4
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Default

That is an old thread with the old BWC system. It doesn't work like that anymore.

When I say "polling" it means that the BIS system polls your email server then "pushes" the email to your BB. Your BB doesn't "poll" anything. You'll use the same amount of data whether you forward to your BB address or if you just setup your regular email address on the BIS system.
Offline  
Old 05-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Posts: 113
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That is an old thread with the old BWC system. It doesn't work like that anymore.

When I say "polling" it means that the BIS system polls your email server then "pushes" the email to your BB. Your BB doesn't "poll" anything. You'll use the same amount of data whether you forward to your BB address or if you just setup your regular email address on the BIS system.
oh ok, thank you for taking the time to answer and explain everything. i know you guys see a lot of email questions on here and im sure it gets repetitive. thx!
Offline  
Old 05-27-2007, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 30
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis104 View Post
I have 2 questions about email (BIS).

1. if i set my current @whatever.com email address to be forwarded to my blackberry email address (so email will be pushed to the device) can i set it up so that when i reply it shows up as being from @whatever.com and not the blackberry address that the whatever.com email is being forwarded to?

2. when i send messages from the device will i be able to see them on my device too? or is that a BES only feature?
1. Yes, you can set up the reply to address so it shows from @whatever.com. That is how I have mine set up. You should see a place to set the Reply To address when you set up your BIS. I did the forwarding because polling can take up to 15 minutes and sometimes stopped working.

2. By default (I believe), a copy of your sent messages is saved on your device. I bcc: a copy to myself so I also have a copy in Outlook.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.