BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/)
-   -   Lost: BlackBerry Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/82151-lost-blackberry-pearl.html)

edward_chan 06-19-2007 01:43 PM

Lost: BlackBerry Pearl
 
Hey guys. I was wondering if there's a way to track down a lost BlackBerry Pearl?

I lost it yesterday.. it has some important stuff on it... I live on the East side of Canada. Ontario. I don't know if Rogers (ISP) can track it down either..

Please help spam my PIN 204FE682 so the user returns it ! hehe you peeps don't have to though..

John Clark 06-19-2007 10:32 PM

Sorry, no real way of tracking it's location. Are you on a BES with your work? If so, they can send a kill command to it and wipe the data. If not, then you'll just need to call Rogers and have them disable the sim and start working on getting a new phone.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

edward_chan 06-20-2007 07:21 AM

Ahh... thanks for the quick response.. will do.

Liberty Ship 06-20-2007 09:31 AM

Call it and offer to pay a ransom.

When mine locks, the screen contains my name, office phone and office address and the notation: $50.00 Reward for Safe Return, No Questions Asked.

Deraj090 06-20-2007 07:29 PM

50 may not be worth it, to anyone who'd actually steal it---if the thief has heard of ebay, that is...

onth 06-20-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberty Ship (Post 574913)
Call it and offer to pay a ransom.

When mine locks, the screen contains my name, office phone and office address and the notation: $50.00 Reward for Safe Return, No Questions Asked.


If I am the person that pick up your lost phone, I would send $50 and a thank you note to your office. hehe...:razz:

edward_chan 06-20-2007 08:22 PM

Smart idea.. ;) I'll do that with my next BB ..

Oh.. is there any function on it to set a password on the phone itself?

southtexasgirl 06-21-2007 12:59 AM

I believe you can go to Options - Security - General Settings and then enable a password, it will also ask you if you want to include the address book.

ROBERTDAWG014 06-21-2007 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberty Ship (Post 574913)
Call it and offer to pay a ransom.

When mine locks, the screen contains my name, office phone and office address and the notation: $50.00 Reward for Safe Return, No Questions Asked.

good idea... mine just says "Robert's. Yes i know i rock!"

Liberty Ship 06-21-2007 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southtexasgirl (Post 575918)
I believe you can go to Options - Security - General Settings and then enable a password, it will also ask you if you want to include the address book.

Right. I have a lot of data on my BB and it gets my business and personal emails and it can hit my Yahoo! site and knows passwords to my gmail and stuff. It didn't take me long to set a password on the phone itself! As I said whenever it locks, which is after a couple of minutes of inactivity or when I manually lock it with the smart key, all you're going to get without the password is my "please return to" screen. And if they try to get in unsuccessfully 10 times, it wipes itself out.

This is not so much about the cost of a new BB, but the hassle of replacing it and the personal security risk. I mean, if someone gets it and gets access to it, they can start sending e-mails and responses that look like they are coming from me!!!!! I back up the system every week or so if I did have to replace it, it would be pretty easy. Easier still, however, would be someone who found it to call me and turn it over! It's with me all the time. The risk is really much more my losing it rather than someone stealing it.

sbalakr3 06-21-2007 11:34 PM

Samsung is introducing a new feature in their mobile phones these days (atleast in India). The feature allows you to store two mobile numbers in your phone and lock those numbers. Whenever the SIM is changed in the phone, the phone will automatically send a text message of the new mobile number to those two numbers you stored and locked. This makes the phone traceable. In addition, the phone will make a audible whistling sound whenever a call is attended to. Wish someone will make a similiar application for BB's.

KeithO 06-22-2007 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbalakr3 (Post 577020)
Samsung is introducing a new feature in their mobile phones these days (atleast in India). The feature allows you to store two mobile numbers in your phone and lock those numbers. Whenever the SIM is changed in the phone, the phone will automatically send a text message of the new mobile number to those two numbers you stored and locked. This makes the phone traceable. In addition, the phone will make a audible whistling sound whenever a call is attended to. Wish someone will make a similiar application for BB's.

Sounds interesting, but what if you legitimately change your SIM? Lots of people buy local PAYG SIMs when on vacation, for example. Or if you change networks.

sbalakr3 06-23-2007 12:13 AM

If you want to legitimately change the SIM Card, unlock the phone (unlock the two number you have stored).
In any case, Service Provider freeze the phone if you provide them with the IMEI Code and intimate it as stolen.

rposeidon 06-24-2007 03:42 PM

Ya that kinda sucks. I have the entire Pearl databases backed up every 3 days, and have my PIN written down so if it gets lots, RIM can lock it (so I heard anyway). I also have a password set and my emails on the lock screen, as long as home phone number. You can really get into trouble if you aren't diligent with backups and security with devices like this...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.