BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #101 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.199
Carrier: None
Posts: 2,622
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Please Login to Remove!

is it does, then why is it so hard to take a picture prove it?!
Offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #102 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Jasper101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 89
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just wait...

I will just hold off until SanFrancisco tells us what happens, and judging by his other excellent post and How to's, i can guarantee he will provide ample proof along with excellent pictures to show us exactly what his experience is with it. SanFrancisco, I'm eagerly awaiting your update about the card, then we can once and for all put all this discussion to rest.
Offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #103 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6.1.199
Carrier: None
Posts: 2,622
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

dido^
Offline  
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #104 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

In terms of analysis, I gotta wonder why someone is able to install the latest OS and a 4GB chip, but does not have even a cheapo digital camera to take a pic.

I'll be checking Saturday's mail with anticipation, but on the other end, I suspect I may simply have another 4GB SDHC USB Drive.

No big because someday the Pearl will handle 4Gb chips, but maybe just not now.

Cross your fingers everyone.

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 07-14-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #105 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 33
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggle_96 View Post
Read the thread, has to be 1.101.

Would you not think if .101 OS works then the newer OS of .154 will work also...honestly just wondering???
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #106 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

".154" is the package version of another older OS. ".101" is the app version from the latest package .164.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Schneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oak Park, California
Model: pearl
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 139
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

why do you need so much room in the bb pearl? it will be very slow if u use all the space.. if you need so much room for music or pictures then why not nust buy a real and good camera or ipod/mp3 player?? its alot more better then buying a 4Gb card for a cellphone, and how mush will this cost you?
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #108 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX.
Model: Pearl
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 86
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
why do you need so much room in the bb pearl? it will be very slow if u use all the space.. if you need so much room for music or pictures then why not nust buy a real and good camera or ipod/mp3 player?? its alot more better then buying a 4Gb card for a cellphone, and how mush will this cost you?

You dont get it, one if you defrag the card often then it should run at peek performance. 2nd having the 4gb card eliminates having to have multi devices.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #109 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
zero7404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tri-state
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.328
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

so it's obvious that the pearl i've got won't work with a 4GB card, but i want to buy one anyway so that i don't have to upgrade when i get a new phone.

if i buy a 4GB, will i be able to access the supported 2GB on it, or will the card not work at all.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #110 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
so it's obvious that the pearl i've got won't work with a 4GB card, but i want to buy one anyway so that i don't have to upgrade when i get a new phone.

if i buy a 4GB, will i be able to access the supported 2GB on it, or will the card not work at all.
It should work for all 4Gb if you upgrade your OS.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #111 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
zero7404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tri-state
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.328
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
It should work for all 4Gb if you upgrade your OS.
upgrade my OS to which version ? i'm running 4.2.1.96 ? the next OS release supports 4GB ?
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #112 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No chip in today's mail. Was a bit optimistic to think it could arrive in one day. But faster things have happened with the mail.

Will see on Monday.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #113 (permalink)
BBF Moderator
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: Z30
OS: 10.2.1.x
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 34,667
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74
upgrade my OS to which version ? i'm running 4.2.1.96 ? the next OS release supports 4GB ?
That's what this thread is referring to. So far 4.2.1.101 is said to work. I don't know if anyone's tried with 4.2.1.96.

Posted above

Last edited by John Clark : 07-14-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #114 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
BBGregPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 419
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I cant believe everyone is still at each others throats about this.
__________________
Blackberry: 8700g, 8700c, 8100, 8300, 8820.

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #115 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
zero7404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: tri-state
Model: 9530
OS: 5.0.0.328
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Posts: 1,097
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That's what this thread is referring to. So far 4.2.1.101 is said to work. I don't know if anyone's tried with 4.2.1.96.

Posted above
oh ok.....i think i will go get one and try it with my OS to see. if it doesn't take, i'll step up the OS version. this is cool, 4GB of storage on a mobile phone.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #116 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 8220
OS: 4.6.0.180
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 330
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGregPearl View Post
I cant believe everyone is still at each others throats about this.
Because it doesn't really make much sense. All in all, its been an unsubstantiated rumor. Only reasonable explanation is RIM installed a microSDHC interface and crippled it to only read microSD, which would be ludicrous, don't you think?

That would be like you buy a car that makes 100 hp, 0-60 in 15 seconds. Then all of a sudden an unknown source says you can flash the computer and make 200 hp, and cut 0-60 down to 8 seconds, you'd be skeptical too, right?
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #117 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
BBGregPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 419
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah it would. I just think it's kinda funny because people are bickering like a married couple.
__________________
Blackberry: 8700g, 8700c, 8100, 8300, 8820.

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #118 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Model: 8220
OS: 4.6.0.180
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 330
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
You dont get it, one if you defrag the card often then it should run at peek performance.
People defrag solid state memory?
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #119 (permalink)
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
its alot more better then buying a 4Gb card for a cellphone, and how mush will this cost you?
Depends on the individual's needs/wants. I bought my BB's for device convergence so I'd totally go for a 4GB card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
it will be very slow if u use all the space..
Why do you say that? My 8800 runs the same whether the card's full or empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthx32 View Post
you'd be skeptical too, right?
You know, being skeptical and foaming at the mouth are two entirely different things. If I was skeptical that the 8100 could take a 4GB card, I'd get one and try it out rather than rant on some forum site because someone won't take a photo to prove that it works. Guess YMMV as different people respond differently...

Last edited by takeshi : 07-14-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Offline  
Old 07-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #120 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
SanFrancisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Model: 9700
OS: XP, 7
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2,345
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGregPearl View Post
Yeah it would. I just think it's kinda funny because people are bickering like a married couple.
Well no one is bickering. The fact is, if you read all the threads and posts, no one has yet posted proof that the chip works.

The reason I titled the thread as I did was to tell those people who say that the Pearl works with a 4GB chip, OK.....prove it.

Proving it does not mean to simply repeat what was said in the past... "mine works with it." And those people whom have posted that it works have simply said that and nothing more. Some have said "they told me, or RIM told me." But that's vague too. That's all the same as we read before.

The only reason we are, as you say, still bickering about this is because so far no one will back up what they are saying except to keep saying theirs work with a 4GB chip.

You have to admit, for the people whom have posted that they have a working 4GB chip in the Pearl, seems odd they can't take a pic of the screen showing in fact it's working. What, none of these people have a digital camera?

And these discussions seem appropriate and in line for what this site is, a place to discuss BlackBerries.

I belong to all kinds of other forums [bikes, racing, motorcycles, and video]. On all of those people have sometimes "heated" discussions.

And the bottom line is, so what. I can't believe someone posted only to make a snide comment. I guess that assumes you have accepted that the 4GB/Pearl controversy has been answered in this thread. That's fine, you can form any conclusion you want, but I think it is still up in the air.

Last edited by SanFrancisco : 07-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.