BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Foxyslipperz246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: wouldnt you like to know
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blackberry providers...?

Please Login to Remove!

I have read in previous posts and other websites that the blackberry only works for cingular, AT&T and T-mobile users but I was thinking about switching over to Verizon and I am not to thrilled about switching to a blackjack. Is there anyway i could get verizon to support my pearl or vice versa??

-Bianca
__________________
woot woot!
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyslipperz246 View Post
I have read in previous posts and other websites that the blackberry only works for cingular, AT&T and T-mobile users but I was thinking about switching over to Verizon and I am not to thrilled about switching to a blackjack. Is there anyway i could get verizon to support my pearl or vice versa??

-Bianca
Verizon has Blackberries too, and they DONT have the Blackjack. If you can help it though, Verizon is a bad idea. Search this forum for lots of people who are frustrated with Verizon ripping off its customers.

Unlike some of the other providers, they customize all of their phones INCLUDING Blackberries so you don't get all of the features. A recent example is the 8800. That unit comes with GPS, and in the 8800 through other carriers, you can use the GPS with any GPS software you want. Verizon released the 8800, completely disabling the GPS to force you to use their VZW service. With them, you are backed into a corner with your choices removed, to funnel you into paying for their services and their services only. Some have argued .... well thats business. But you know what? AT&T does not block GPS. That is only ONE example of hobbled phones by Verizon. Just about every feature phone has been hobbled one way or another.

Also, Verizon is late getting Blackberries because they use CDMA, and the rest of the world uses GSM. So, GSM versions of Blackberries ALWAYS hit the other carriers FIRST (like AT&T). Typically Verizon will get them 6 months to a year after everyone else ... and hobbled at that. The 8830 though, was the fastest I have seen them get one of these phones ... although it was still a few months after everyone else.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
gringoenterprises's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: 23F73F86
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 49
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyslipperz246 View Post
I have read in previous posts and other websites that the blackberry only works for cingular, AT&T and T-mobile users but I was thinking about switching over to Verizon and I am not to thrilled about switching to a blackjack. Is there anyway i could get verizon to support my pearl or vice versa??

-Bianca
I have never known anyone to be happy with Verizon. All my friends that had it did nothing but complain. What's wrong with T-Mobile?
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,963
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Verizon has Blackberries too, and they DONT have the Blackjack. If you can help it though, Verizon is a bad idea. Search this forum for lots of people who are frustrated with Verizon ripping off its customers.

Unlike some of the other providers, they customize all of their phones INCLUDING Blackberries so you don't get all of the features. A recent example is the 8800. That unit comes with GPS, and in the 8800 through other carriers, you can use the GPS with any GPS software you want. Verizon released the 8800, completely disabling the GPS to force you to use their VZW service. With them, you are backed into a corner with your choices removed, to funnel you into paying for their services and their services only. Some have argued .... well thats business. But you know what? AT&T does not block GPS. That is only ONE example of hobbled phones by Verizon. Just about every feature phone has been hobbled one way or another.

Also, Verizon is late getting Blackberries because they use CDMA, and the rest of the world uses GSM. So, GSM versions of Blackberries ALWAYS hit the other carriers FIRST (like AT&T). Typically Verizon will get them 6 months to a year after everyone else ... and hobbled at that. The 8830 though, was the fastest I have seen them get one of these phones ... although it was still a few months after everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoenterprises View Post
I have never known anyone to be happy with Verizon. All my friends that had it did nothing but complain. What's wrong with T-Mobile?


You know this is such BS verizon is a great provider. I love their service and the devices they have as long as you research and decide for your self. Dont take the words of a few disgruntled ppl.

The service rocks the CS rocks you will find just as many ppl who hate the other carriers like I despise Sprint.

But what you need to decide for yourself is do you want great service or do you want one piece of hardware that you dont really need anyway.

Blackberry service on verizon is awesome I get my mail fast and reliable. No dropped calls clear sound.

And I can bring just as many tmo haters and sprint haters that they can find verizon. Dont be a lemming and decide for yourself.

Last edited by Dawg : 08-02-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Foxyslipperz246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: wouldnt you like to know
Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Posts: 54
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoenterprises View Post
I have never known anyone to be happy with Verizon. All my friends that had it did nothing but complain. What's wrong with T-Mobile?
T-mobile loses its signal in my area around the house and at work so i want a more reliable provider

-Bianca
__________________
woot woot!
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
You know this is such BS verizon is a great provider. I love their service and the devices they have as long as you research and decide for your self. Dont take the words of a few disgruntled ppl.
I never said Verizon had bad service. I still pay Verizon on my Treo 650. The service is GREAT! I am a gadget guy, and ALWAYS have gotten smart phones. They have ALWAYS hobbled their phones. ALWAYS. And every time they hobble their phones, the only reason is to remove YOUR choices and FORCE you to use their stuff. This is why people hate Verizon. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the service ... it never has.

Verizon is like a car company that has relations with XM satellite, so they do something to the car to make it incompatible with aftermarket stereos. Or, they modify the sound system so it ONLY works with XM satellite, so it kind of forces you to pay for that music service. If a car company were to take on the same policies as Verizon, there would be a hellstorm.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyslipperz246 View Post
T-mobile loses its signal in my area around the house and at work so i want a more reliable provider

-Bianca
AT&T is very reliable. They are biggest of the GSM carriers in the US. And with them, you will get absolutely no problems with getting ripped off. Because you know you will if you buy a Verizon device.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,963
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
I never said Verizon had bad service. I still pay Verizon on my Treo 650. The service is GREAT! I am a gadget guy, and ALWAYS have gotten smart phones. They have ALWAYS hobbled their phones. ALWAYS. And every time they hobble their phones, the only reason is to remove YOUR choices and FORCE you to use their stuff. This is why people hate Verizon. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the service ... it never has.

Verizon is like a car company that has relations with XM satellite, so they do something to the car to make it incompatible with aftermarket stereos. Or, they modify the sound system so it ONLY works with XM satellite, so it kind of forces you to pay for that music service. If a car company were to take on the same policies as Verizon, there would be a hellstorm.
so what if they hobble their devices why should it really matter if you know what you are getting into prior to buying then why should it matter. I just get my feathers ruffled when ppl just continue to fuss. If so many ppk are un happy why the do they continue to grow and be one of the top three time and time again. JD powers ranks them number 1 98% of the time.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
so what if they hobble their devices why should it really matter if you know what you are getting into prior to buying then why should it matter. I just get my feathers ruffled when ppl just continue to fuss. If so many ppk are un happy why the do they continue to grow and be one of the top three time and time again. JD powers ranks them number 1 98% of the time.
Ummmm I care. Lots of others care here. Just because YOU don't, does that really make everyone so wrong and you more right? People put a focus on different things ... and obviously different than you. As to why it ruffles your feathers I don't know. Maybe you dont understand that other peoples opinions differ than yours?
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Spectral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Model: 8100
PIN: 23FA9743
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 337
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think all the providers suck, they just suck in different ways.

Verizon crippes your devices.
T-Mobile rapes you with charges and has horrible reception in many areas.
Sprint kicks you out if you call them for help too many times.
AT&T has crappy customer service and shady billing practices.

You just have to choose the type of suck that's right for you!

Last edited by Spectral : 08-02-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 360
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
so what if they hobble their devices why should it really matter if you know what you are getting into prior to buying then why should it matter. I just get my feathers ruffled when ppl just continue to fuss. If so many ppk are un happy why the do they continue to grow and be one of the top three time and time again. JD powers ranks them number 1 98% of the time.
Oh ... and they grow because a majority of their clients purchase "regular" phones. One of their most popular is the LG EnV. People put stock into the quality of device. I am willing to bet that if a majority of people bought smartphones like Treos and Blackberries, and ignored the regular phones .... they would not grow as much as they have. A majority of people choose a phone for its FEATURES.
Offline  
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,963
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
Oh ... and they grow because a majority of their clients purchase "regular" phones. One of their most popular is the LG EnV. People put stock into the quality of device. I am willing to bet that if a majority of people bought smartphones like Treos and Blackberries, and ignored the regular phones .... they would not grow as much as they have. A majority of people choose a phone for its FEATURES.
I still say you are wrong I visit many other communication forums and its the same ppl who fuss and complain about verizon its ppl who arent even on the service.

You voiced your opinion I voiced mine why do you have that right and I dont.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.