Seems that most of the headphone converters to go from the 3/32" to 1/8" jacks are pretty pricey for the Pearl, due to the special needs to tell the phone to switch from internal to external speaker. Basically all it is, is a resistor. Either way I decided to try my own idea. All you really need to buy is a 1/8" female stereo solder on jack. I think I paid like 3 bucks for it at Radioshack. You do however, have to cut up the original set of earbuds that came with your Pearl, which for me was not even a question for me seeing I HATE earbuds.
Really this is pretty easy as long as you have some experience soldering, and a steady hand.
First you need to cut the 2 ear buds off of the headset making the 2 lengths of cord the same. I cut the left side right at the earbud first and made the right side match.
Each wire of the 2 sides will have 2 conductors inside, a Color and a bare conductor. The Left channel had a Green and a dark colored bare, and the Right channel had a Red and a Copper color bare.
You will need to strip the black outer casing off the cable, then strip each color, Green and Red. This can be tricky so it may take a couple tries to get the outer covering off without damaging the color underneath.
Once you have all the jacketing off, and make sure there are no nicks in the wire you can tin both of the colored ends, about an 1/8". The 2 bare conductors get twisted together and tinned. Tinning will make soldering them to the connector at the end much easier, and will help in not melting the insulation.
After all that you can begin to get ready to solder the connector on. I used shrink tubing to help with strain relief so the wires don't pull out later. I used 2 small pieces and one larger one. All these and the outer case for the connector must go on the wire before you solder the connector on.
The connector has 3 places to solder onto. The one at the bottom which connects to the whole connector is ground, which the bare conductors connect to. The gold colored one is the red wire, and the silver one is the green wire. Tinning the connections before actually making them will make it much easier. Use flux or a flux core solder and it will make life easier.
Once you get it all connected slip the outer case of the connector on and screw it tight. Then slide one of the smaller shrink tubes right up into the connector strain relief, and shrink it. It will leave about half out of the end of the connector. Then slide the other smaller one right onto the last one, building up the overall size. Shrink that one. Then slide the largest of the 3 all the way up onto the strain relief and shrink it. This should make the whole thing pretty solid.
Thats pretty much it. You should now be able to use regular headphones while still having all the features of the button and the mic on the headset. Best part of the overall cost was about 4 bucks. The other advantage is that the oem connector for the headset is much smaller than any aftermarket one, and is much nicer to have in your pocket or holster.
Hope this helps some of you guys out.