BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8200 Series Discussion - Pearl Flip (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8200-series-discussion-pearl-flip/)
-   -   TMO no data, please help setup!!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8200-series-discussion-pearl-flip/192944-tmo-no-data-please-help-setup.html)

bbgirlie 06-08-2009 03:41 PM

TMO no data, please help setup!!!
 
HI,

I am new to BB and new to the forum. I just got my BB today and I am wanting a little help. PLEASE!!!

1. I have no data plan, I have the Tzones 5.99 on my phone and I was wondering if this will work. I know I have to get another browser, I am going to get the opera mini. Do I need to change any of my settings in my phone??

2. Will my MMS work without a data?

3. I know I have to get the Desktop manager, can you guys tell me the best 3rd party software to get, where to get it, and how to install.

4. Any other connection problems please let me know if you think they will arise. I can't get the BB enabler feature with TMO without getting rid of my tzones. Will this effect the way my phone works without the BB plan. I heard that the only big difference with the data plan is that I get push mail to my phone and the RIM apps but those aren't super important.


I got the phone because I thought it was pretty and it was free...lol.


Ok I got my Wi-Fi working and the internet through wi-fi... can I get applications like this??

aiharkness 06-08-2009 05:31 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I don't have experience without a data plan, but no one else has responded, so I'll take a stab:

1 - go to options, advanced, TCP, and enter wap.voicestream.com for the apn. Leave user and password blank.

2- I don't know.

3- it really depends. What's best is highly individual. But I think you are going to find yourself very limited without a blackberry data plan. You will not be able to use any blackberry-branded applications.

4- don't know how to answer. Except you will be limited to what you can do through the wap apn.

You will not be able to download over the air with the wifi browser without the necessary service books, which you will not have without a blackberry data plan.

TXLady 06-08-2009 08:23 PM

In the menu bar at the top of each page on this site, one of the options is BlackberryFAQs. Highly recommended that new users start there.

A specific one that answers several of your questions is the one under Internet and Email, How to Use Blackberry on Generic Data Plan.
How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

dc/dc 06-09-2009 04:07 AM

You got the wrong phone.

aiharkness 06-09-2009 05:09 AM

Be positive, dc. Pretty and free got the OP interested. Next step is data plan.

Seriously, switch from tzones to full blackberry data plan for another $14 per month, bbgirlie. You'll thank us for the suggestion.

bbgirlie 06-10-2009 05:05 AM

Well thanks guys, I got the Wifi working and it lets me d/l the 3rd party stuff from my phone. I thought I had my opera mini setup but for some reason...its not working right. No, I doubt I will get the data plan, so far everything that I think I need is going great, who needs push mail...not me...lol.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

aiharkness 06-10-2009 05:13 AM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

How were you able to do OTA downloads over wifi without dataplan? There are others who have asked. I'm under the impression you need the service books.

PaulaBB 06-17-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1402999)
Wirelessly posted (8820)

How were you able to do OTA downloads over wifi without dataplan? There are others who have asked. I'm under the impression you need the service books.

Downloading and browsing on wifi, without a data plan, can be done even on a prepaid plan with T-Mobile (or no plan at all if you have a SIM and set the phone to wifi-only)

Settings > Advanced Settings >Browser
Change to "hotspots"

Browser will work, downloads work for programs such as Opera and Windows Live Search and dowloading updates for programs such as Documents to Go. No applications requiring BB services will work such as BB App World and Google Maps.

The same is true for postpaid T-Mobile without a dataplan, although you can call to get blackberry-enabled for MMS for free. This will change the display from uma/edge to UMA/EDGE, but the only additional function is sending and receiving MMS at any time. AIM and other instant messaging programs will not function.

Prior to 6-1-09, you could call T-Mobile and say that AIM didn't work and they would enable that service for your line of service, which then allowed all applications be downloaded and function such as BB App World and Google Maps. Most programs will not function off wifi (while on EDGE), except for Google Maps, which charges data, but in small amounts that typically do not add up to 1 MB in a month.

Our family has two 8220s on postpaid T-Mobile with no data plan, we have an unlimited text plan. One was Blackberry-enabled prior to 6-1-09 and can do everything on wifi including email, and 3rd party apps and it can also use AIM/IM on EDGE and Google Maps on EDGE. The other was Blackberry-enabled after 6-1-09 and can browse/download on wifi, but it cannot use AIM/IM at any time and it cannot use 3rd party apps, except for programs such as Opera and Live Search. It can also send/receive MMS.

I also have a 8320 using a pre-paid SIM. It can browse/download on wifi, but it cannot do MMS or AIM/IM at any time and it cannot use 3rd party apps, except for programs such as Opera and Live Search. If I put the SIM in it from the 8220 that was Blackberry-enabled prior to 6-1-09, it can do everything.

sdbb 06-22-2009 11:47 AM

I'm new to BBs. Just got an 8220 with no data plan. I came here to ask if I can get google talk to work over wifi. It seems like you can't? What if I call tmobile and ask them to enable it? They do sell the phone with WIFI and no dataplan, so why is it a big deal to allow google talk? Opera mini works fine.

PaulaBB 06-23-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbb (Post 1412156)
I'm new to BBs. Just got an 8220 with no data plan. I came here to ask if I can get google talk to work over wifi. It seems like you can't? What if I call tmobile and ask them to enable it? They do sell the phone with WIFI and no dataplan, so why is it a big deal to allow google talk? Opera mini works fine.

Prior to 6-1-09, T-Mobile would enable for IM programs, now they are only allowed to do a limited enable for MMS because of an audit. If you want to send/receive MMS, call and that will be activated. Say "blackberry" when prompted after calling 611.

Enabling for IM also enables all other Blackberry services over wifi, this goes against the agreement with Blackberry.

It's still a great phone without a data plan while using wifi, you can browse, download and make calls over UMA.

sdbb 06-23-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulaBB (Post 1412783)
Prior to 6-1-09, T-Mobile would enable for IM programs, now they are only allowed to do a limited enable for MMS because of an audit. If you want to send/receive MMS, call and that will be activated. Say "blackberry" when prompted after calling 611.

Enabling for IM also enables all other Blackberry services over wifi, this goes against the agreement with Blackberry.

It's still a great phone without a data plan while using wifi, you can browse, download and make calls over UMA.

Thanks for the info, you cleared that up nicely!

Still one thing doesn't add up, why sell a phone with wifi and no Blackberry data plan requirements and block internet technologies? I guess it makes sense if it's because they want to allow UMA and nothing else. But it feels like a step in the wrong direction. Every other feature on this phone seems full of forward thinking and I am happy with it overall.

NJBlackBerry 06-23-2009 02:11 PM

As has been stated MANY times, if you want to use the BlackBerry as designed, with IM, BlackBerry Messenger, BB browser and push e-mail, you need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan. Perhaps the answer is for the carriers to NOT sell BBs without BlackBerry Data Plans.

sdbb 06-23-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1413175)
As has been stated MANY times, if you want to use the BlackBerry as designed, with IM, BlackBerry Messenger, BB browser and push e-mail, you need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan. Perhaps the answer is for the carriers to NOT sell BBs without BlackBerry Data Plans.

I agree they shouldn't sell it without the blackberry plan then. It may seem like a no brainer to you, but if you switch from a non BB phone, this is very unintuitive.

NJBlackBerry 06-23-2009 02:18 PM

Yes, it is different than normal phones. It's a BlackBerry....

PaulaBB 06-23-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbb (Post 1413162)
Thanks for the info, you cleared that up nicely!

Still one thing doesn't add up, why sell a phone with wifi and no Blackberry data plan requirements and block internet technologies? I guess it makes sense if it's because they want to allow UMA and nothing else. But it feels like a step in the wrong direction. Every other feature on this phone seems full of forward thinking and I am happy with it overall.

It's a money issue, the Blackberry plans are different and separate from other data plans and involve an arrangement between the two companies.

People using UMA/wifi to make calls is profit to T-Mobile. People using UMA/wifi and not paying for a Blackberry plan for data is a loss to two companies, but T-Mobile still came out ahead with the UMA calling profit. Now, with the new changes, it's more balanced.

They also implemented a change this month to require data plans, but the 8220 was exempt.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.