BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Setting up Gmail (IMAP)

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my Curve in the mail yesterday. Everything seems to be going well, except I can't figure out how to setup IMAP access on my BB.

I read through the forums, but do not see any of the options mentioned. Meaning, the setup email wizard on my BB just connects me to the T-Mo bis website where I can create the gmail account...but there's no option for pop/imap.

I have a 'setup internet email' icon but it does the same thing as the setup wizard. If I log into the T-mobile bis website from a desktop...same thing. I can add gmail, but I see no way designate it as an imap account.

The directions from Google says click the 'PersonalEMailSetUp' icon to get started...which I also do not have.

-None of the icons are hidden btw. And for the record, I'm not new to Blackberries at all.

I'm running in circles here....any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited by BDot : 10-25-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry God
 
penguin3107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 11,701
Post Thanks: 1
Thanked 237 Times in 219 Posts
Default

You're overcomplicating this.
Just log into BIS, either on your PC or BlackBerry, and add your GMail account.
All you need is your GMail address and password. You don't need any POP or IMAP addresses. GMail has specialized integration with BIS. It will do its own thing.
__________________
BCSA
BES 5.0.3 MR4 :-: Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3
http://port3101.org
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...82&topic=12761
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You're overcomplicating this.
Just log into BIS, either on your PC or BlackBerry, and add your GMail account.
All you need is your GMail address and password. You don't need any POP or IMAP addresses. GMail has specialized integration with BIS. It will do its own thing.
I can send/receive email to my gmail account doing it the regular way, but I don't see how you would access the different labels. FYI, these are the directions I was referring to:

From:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...82&topic=12761

# Select the 'PersonalEMailSetUp' icon. (I don't have this icon on my BB)
# Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') but leave the password field blank.
# Select 'Next.'
# Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
# Select 'Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)' and then 'Next.'
# Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
# Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') as the user name and your password.
# Enter 'imap.gmail.com' as the email server and select 'Next.'
# Select 'OK.'
# Below your newly added email address, select 'Edit.'
# Select 'Advanced Settings' at the bottom.
# Make sure that the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
# Select 'Save.'

Judging by that there is some additional setup required, but I have no idea where I should go in order to do it.
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone Germany
Posts: 348
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I followed these steps and it works just fine.

BlackBerry Search Results
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 66
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yahoo and GMail have notification relay service with RIM, so they notify RIM when new messages arrive and handle them accordingly.

I have been using the default gmail config with the BB for over a year now with great success.

I configured and tested the IMAP setup today and it did not seem to offer much, or enough to overcome the delay in the messages to the BB.

I have reconfig'd back to the original config.

It works, but was a bit slower, if you ask me.
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I got it working, but how are you supposed to see/access the different labels?

...Or is this not possible?
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So if I set up my gmail via the BIS/Set up internet email icon, will it create a separate inbox for my gmail messages. I want to have two inboxes on my home screen (BES work email and gmail) and be able to reply from two separate addresses. Is this possible?
Offline  
Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,638
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDot View Post
I can send/receive email to my gmail account doing it the regular way, but I don't see how you would access the different labels. FYI, these are the directions I was referring to:

From:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...82&topic=12761

# Select the 'PersonalEMailSetUp' icon. (I don't have this icon on my BB)
# Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') but leave the password field blank.
# Select 'Next.'
# Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
# Select 'Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)' and then 'Next.'
# Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
# Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') as the user name and your password.
# Enter 'imap.gmail.com' as the email server and select 'Next.'
# Select 'OK.'
# Below your newly added email address, select 'Edit.'
# Select 'Advanced Settings' at the bottom.
# Make sure that the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
# Select 'Save.'

Judging by that there is some additional setup required, but I have no idea where I should go in order to do it.
The icon I have is "Set up Internet E-mail". Everything else went fine. The main thing is to put the email addres, but not the password in the first screen. That way it will let you do the manual entry of the settings. Otherwise it figures everything else automatically.

It can also be done online. I tried it that way originally. Deleted the pop Gmail setting, then did IMAP. On the Tmobile website, it is under "Communication Tools", "Learn More" under email, then "Set up BlackBerry email" under BlackBerry. Couple other ways to get there on the site, but that works.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 4
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

@monkeypaw

Thanks man. I did get the gmail account setup using imap, just the way you instructed. Though, I was still wondering how do I access the different labels?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how this whole imap thing works.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile
Posts: 66
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelb View Post
So if I set up my gmail via the BIS/Set up internet email icon, will it create a separate inbox for my gmail messages. I want to have two inboxes on my home screen (BES work email and gmail) and be able to reply from two separate addresses. Is this possible?
Neelb,

I believe that you will have a separate icon and box for each email address that you set up. You can use them individually and that will do it for you.

There is also a "messages" icon that combines the messages from all of your addresses, so they can be easily viewed, if you prefer that method. Also, when you reply to a message or send to a specific recipient, you can pick the address that you want to send from. It also learns the addresses that you use for each of the contacts in your address book and will use that by default.

I think that you're covered either way.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AL
Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 99
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I spoke with RIM at length on Wednesday and they could not get it to work properly on my ATT curve. RIM stated that GMAIL had special notification servers setup for their use. RIM stated that Gmail should be setup the old way and not the IMAP way.
Offline  
Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
loveanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 53
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDot View Post
I can send/receive email to my gmail account doing it the regular way, but I don't see how you would access the different labels. FYI, these are the directions I was referring to:

From:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...82&topic=12761

# Select the 'PersonalEMailSetUp' icon. (I don't have this icon on my BB)
# Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') but leave the password field blank.
# Select 'Next.'
# Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
# Select 'Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)' and then 'Next.'
# Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
# Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') as the user name and your password.
# Enter 'imap.gmail.com' as the email server and select 'Next.'
# Select 'OK.'
# Below your newly added email address, select 'Edit.'
# Select 'Advanced Settings' at the bottom.
# Make sure that the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
# Select 'Save.'

Judging by that there is some additional setup required, but I have no idea where I should go in order to do it.

this is only available if you have BIS or BES right?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.