BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/)
-   -   Planning on getting the curveeeeee (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/105702-planning-getting-curveeeeee.html)

CoreyVisto 11-19-2007 11:50 PM

Planning on getting the curveeeeee
 
Hello all, I do not yet have a bb curve, but I hopefully plan to buy one tomorrow. 3 months ago I signed up for t-mobile (2 year contract.) I hopped on the SideKick 3 bandwagon with the 300 myfav minute and unlimited sidekick plan. I know, I know, I haven't had the phone very long, but I am willing to pay the full ($449) for the bb curve.) My main gripes with the SK3 are it's slowness and childish operating system. Don't get me wrong, I love having the aim/msn and yahoo messenger on there, it's the main reason I bought the phone. From reading some posts on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the BB curve is capable of using aim/msn/yahoo just like if I were on a computer, fast and snappy message handling. Am I correct on that? Can the built in IM programs do that, or will I really need to buy the IM messenger that seems fairly popular on this board?

I consider myself a closet nerd, and I feel like the sidekick isn't really doing the job. Is the curve that much better? I look at the pictures of the beautiful screen, and os, and it just seems amazingly flawless.

I was lookin at: Review: BlackBerry Curve - PaulStamatiou.com

One thing that really stood out was the Google Maps application. I know that is the ATT version of the curve, so does the t-mobile version have that? I find myself always getting lost while driving and I feel like that could really be useful. Is the map program built in? Or do I have to purchase it/download it?

Having a well, thought-out operating system is key to my purchase, I enjoy clean styles, clean menu's and it seems like the BB has that.

So, is it really worth paying $450, and then having to up my plan price about 5 dollars more a month?

The SK3 only hold 100 txts at one time, does the BB have a limit?

P.S. Can someone take a picture of the included aim program, google maps, text message folders/email folders for me?

Thank you for reading my novel !

ezrunner 11-20-2007 12:00 AM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes you can add google maps!

I recommend beejives jive talk I'm client works awesome.

ezrunner 11-20-2007 12:03 AM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Also check the buy sell trade section may be able to find a curve for a good price vs the full retail

John Clark 11-20-2007 12:04 AM

1. The IM programs will work. However, try them and then give JiveTalk the 30 day trial. I'm sure you'll decide to purchase JiveTalk.

2. Any of the Curves will run Google Maps. Google Maps is a 3rd party application but can be downloaded for free. BBMaps comes preinstalled on the Curve. You can try both and decide for yourself which one you like best. Most prefer Google over BBMaps. There is also TeleNav which gives voice prompted, turn-by-turn directions. However, it's $9.95 a month (and you'll need a bluetooth GPS puck) but is well worth it if you need that capability. I have it and love it.

ezrunner 11-20-2007 12:07 AM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark
1. The IM programs will work. However, try them and then give JiveTalk the 30 day trial. I'm sure you'll decide to purchase JiveTalk.

2. Any of the Curves will run Google Maps. Google Maps is a 3rd party application but can be downloaded for free. BBMaps comes preinstalled on the Curve. You can try both and decide for yourself which one you like best. Most prefer Google over BBMaps. There is also TeleNav which gives voice prompted, turn-by-turn directions. However, it's $9.95 a month but is well worth it if you need that capability. I have it and love it.

Oh booooy

A pilot who needs directions! I'm done flying

JC do you ever sleep?

John Clark 11-20-2007 12:16 AM

I use it to find hotels and restaurants in all these crazy cities I go to.

bravo19 11-20-2007 12:33 AM

The curve is awesome, although tmobile service with the curve sucks sometimes, but the many features of having a blackberry far outweigh the issues tmobile has. Yahoo and i'm sure msn work fine on the curve. aim is a little slow sometimes, so get another program to run aim. But yes..the curve is the way to go.

jschram 11-20-2007 12:42 AM

Curvvvv
 
The curv is a great way to go. I am selling a brand new one for $400. It is brand new and I have not opened the box. I bought it for my wife and she does not want it. i paid full retail for it and just need to sell it quick.

jschram 11-20-2007 12:45 AM

You can also download a version of windows live search for it as well. I have mine connected to a GPS receiver as well.

DrivingManiac 11-20-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 745892)
2. Any of the Curves will run Google Maps. Google Maps is a 3rd party application but can be downloaded for free. BBMaps comes preinstalled on the Curve. You can try both and decide for yourself which one you like best. Most prefer Google over BBMaps. There is also TeleNav which gives voice prompted, turn-by-turn directions. However, it's $9.95 a month but is well worth it if you need that capability. I have it and love it.

John Clark, you do realize he's talking about the T-mobile 8320?

To clarify things, you can download google maps and use your internet connection to manually find your location. However the 8320 does NOT have GPS built in, rather it has wifi. RIM wouldn't fit both GPS and Wifi into the same curve device, most likely for marketing purposes IMO.

However, you can hook up a bluetooth GPS puck to the device and use that for GPS and then John Clark's post would ring very true.

PaulQ 11-20-2007 01:50 AM

- You definitely want to go with Jive Talk. The built in AIM client has limitations, the most annoying of which is that your contacts must be in the "mobile" folder or they won't appear on your device. Jive Talk supports all of the major clients too.

- Get insurance! I have a thread on here that discusses the pros and cons. Admittedly, a slight majority of the users don't carry insurance. However, if you are going to pay full retail, you want to have the insurance for at least the first year or so. The warranty only covers malfunctions. You can add it if you already bought it by the time you read this (not sure if you buy it private party though).

- I have many friends who have the Sidekick. The Curve is far superior!

Good luck!

CoreyVisto 11-20-2007 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulQ (Post 745941)
- You definitely want to go with Jive Talk. The built in AIM client has limitations, the most annoying of which is that your contacts must be in the "mobile" folder or they won't appear on your device. Jive Talk supports all of the major clients too.

- Get insurance! I have a thread on here that discusses the pros and cons. Admittedly, a slight majority of the users don't carry insurance. However, if you are going to pay full retail, you want to have the insurance for at least the first year or so. The warranty only covers malfunctions. You can add it if you already bought it by the time you read this (not sure if you buy it private party though).

- I have many friends who have the Sidekick. The Curve is far superior!

Good luck!


I don't think I will be getting insurance for it. I have insurance for my sidekick, and I found out I would be paying 110 $ just to have any data device replaced. I take very, very good care of my electronics, and by the time something may happen to it, a new and better phone will be out so I think it's pointless!

PaulQ 11-20-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyVisto (Post 745945)
I don't think I will be getting insurance for it. I have insurance for my sidekick, and I found out I would be paying 110 $ just to have any data device replaced. I take very, very good care of my electronics, and by the time something may happen to it, a new and better phone will be out so I think it's pointless!

I was just like you... but then this happened... I had a Pearl and it died after 14 months. I had to pay $300 if I wanted to get a new one. If I had insurance, it would have cost me $6x14 + 110 which is $194.

It's a gamble. I took great care of my phone. I think I will keep insurance on my Curve for about 18 months then drop it.

I also work at a University so I guess my theft potential is a little higher.

I understand your perspective though.

John Clark 11-20-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrivingManiac (Post 745940)
John Clark, you do realize he's talking about the T-mobile 8320?

To clarify things, you can download google maps and use your internet connection to manually find your location. However the 8320 does NOT have GPS built in, rather it has wifi. RIM wouldn't fit both GPS and Wifi into the same curve device, most likely for marketing purposes IMO.

However, you can hook up a bluetooth GPS puck to the device and use that for GPS and then John Clark's post would ring very true.

Yes, all will still work, just without GPS. Edited my post.

John Clark 11-20-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrivingManiac (Post 745940)
John Clark, you do realize he's talking about the T-mobile 8320?

To clarify things, you can download google maps and use your internet connection to manually find your location. However the 8320 does NOT have GPS built in, rather it has wifi. RIM wouldn't fit both GPS and Wifi into the same curve device, most likely for marketing purposes IMO.

However, you can hook up a bluetooth GPS puck to the device and use that for GPS and then John Clark's post would ring very true.

Yes, all will work...just without GPS. Edited my post.

CoreyVisto 11-20-2007 12:34 PM

So it's official, I am picking up my bb curve in about an hour, and then selling the sidekick 3 for $145. 1 new bb user, wahooo

BBGregPearl 11-20-2007 03:08 PM

You won't be disappointed! I love mine! Got mine today. I used one for a couple of days and I was hooked so I had to get one for me. Next is my girlfriend if I can talk her into it. She complains that it's to big.

visi0nX 11-20-2007 03:20 PM

I'm getting mine in a few weeks, can't wait to ditch this pos razr v3!

I'm probably more than likely going to be playing with it the ENTIRE first day i get it.

yparlor 11-27-2007 01:14 PM

I recently upgraded from a 8100 Pearl to the 8310 Curve and can say its the best decision I've made in months. This phone is simply fantastic. It's not as pretty as the over-hyped Iphone but functionality-wise, there isn't much out there that can compete with Blackberry. Getting used to the new phone will take a few days but once you get the hang of it, you will be very pleased.

shoppy 11-27-2007 01:52 PM

Congrats you will love the curve, I had a pearl, but never got along with the keypad it is now broken and sitting in a drawer. I love the curve, I was a bit wary but it is just great and the features have improved since I had one years ago.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.