BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/)
-   -   data plan as internet connection? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/106054-data-plan-internet-connection.html)

gbnemail07 11-22-2007 01:02 AM

data plan as internet connection?
 
Does anyone know how I can use my data plan as an internet connection for my Mac? Im pretty sure I can use my phone like a modem where I have no internet so Im wondering if anyone has directions or a link that tells me how to set it up.

Andy

Dubdub 11-22-2007 08:20 AM

It is called tethering, so do a search on that. If you do it, make sure you have the proper data plan which allows for tethering. Otherwise, you could have one really high data bill.

It will be waaaayyyy slow however, only slightly faster than dial-up. EDGE on both T-Mo and ATT average about 50-125 kbps depending on the connection. Max speed is around 300 kbps but it is rare to get that high.

CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) is much faster, 400-800 kbps and max at about 2.4 mbps. ATT's 3G has similar speeds.

xkon 11-22-2007 04:16 PM

Try this out:

Wireless Internet: BlackBerry Curve as Bluetooth Modem for OS-X Mac • Perishable Press

worked like a champ for me!

abigorbot 11-27-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 748379)
It is called tethering, so do a search on that. If you do it, make sure you have the proper data plan which allows for tethering. Otherwise, you could have one really high data bill.

I have unlimited data on my bb plan. Would tethering be considered extra?

Thanks in advance!

Magnum 11-27-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abigorbot (Post 754716)
I have unlimited data on my bb plan. Would tethering be considered extra?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, at least with AT&T.

I get away with the occasional tether here and there, but if you'll be using it daily I bet it catches up with you.

abigorbot 11-27-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum (Post 754745)
Yes, at least with AT&T.

I get away with the occasional tether here and there, but if you'll be using it daily I bet it catches up with you.

Does anyone know if it would be with T-Mobile? I have the unlmited data plan right now.

mzcourtney 11-28-2007 11:48 AM

No. T-mobile doesn't charge you any extra to tether. =]


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.