01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Knows Where the Search Button Is
Join Date: Feb 2006
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
| | Spurious "voice message waiting" indicator
Please Login to Remove!
On my Blackberry 8320 on T-Mobile in the US, I get a spurious voice message waiting indicator under the following conditions (the handheld is new; I've been on the service for a while with a different handheld):
Problem: voice message waiting icon/indicator is present even though there are no new or saved voice mails in the service's voice mail system.
1. Disable cellular network
2. Enable WIFI network, UMA goes active
(at this juncture, the voice message waiting icon appears)
3. Call to check voice mail, there are no new or old messages, then hang up
4. Spurious voice message waiting icon remains
5. Shut off and restart Blackberry (from the keyboard, not removing battery)
6. Spurious voice message waiting icon remains
7. Power down and restart Blackberry (removing battery and replacing)
8. Spurious voice message waiting icon remains
9. Disable WIFI network
10. Enable cellular network
11. Try both shut down/restart tests above, again confirming there is no voice mail in mailbox, new or old
12. Spurious voice message waiting icon remains
13. Leave myself a voice mail.
14. Get an indicator "new voice mail waiting", and voice message icon remains
15. Call voice mail, play then delete voice mail.
16. Voice message icon disappears.
I did not try other permutations of this test (such as creating and clearing a voice mail while on the WIFI network exclusively), but the problem above is repeatable, and as it is a use case for me (using the WIFI network exclusively), I am troubled by the spurious voice mail icon.
I have not contacted T-Mobile nor RIM on this yet - any suggestions on how best to proceed at this point?