BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mass Storage Trouble

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have searched through the technical bulletins and the forums, but still have not managed to find a solution to this problem, so I am hoping some community experience will help out here

I own a Blackberry Curve 8320 and have a 2GB Kingston SD card in it. The Blackberry can detect the card and use the storage space on it just fine, but my computer cannot detect the memory card (it can connect to the BB just fine) at all. In other words, when I connect the BB to my computer, no mass storage device is detected, but I can put files on the BB's internal memory (a mere 2 and a bit MBs large) but cannot access the SD card.

I have the latest OS on the BB, 4.2 SP2 for desktop manager, and all the latest updates for Windows Vista. Mass Storage Mode is set to "On", and I am unable to find the BB in "B" drive in computer management.

I am at my wits end, is there anything else here that I haven't tried, or that I have overlooked which might get it to work as a USB mass storage device?

Thank you
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvin313 View Post
Hello,

I have searched through the technical bulletins and the forums, but still have not managed to find a solution to this problem, so I am hoping some community experience will help out here

I own a Blackberry Curve 8320 and have a 2GB Kingston SD card in it. The Blackberry can detect the card and use the storage space on it just fine, but my computer cannot detect the memory card (it can connect to the BB just fine) at all. In other words, when I connect the BB to my computer, no mass storage device is detected, but I can put files on the BB's internal memory (a mere 2 and a bit MBs large) but cannot access the SD card.

I have the latest OS on the BB, 4.2 SP2 for desktop manager, and all the latest updates for Windows Vista. Mass Storage Mode is set to "On", and I am unable to find the BB in "B" drive in computer management.

I am at my wits end, is there anything else here that I haven't tried, or that I have overlooked which might get it to work as a USB mass storage device?

Thank you
Do you have any other devices or drives mapped? Mass storage in most cases wants to lowest drive "letter" available. Like E: Can you try unmapping and drives and disconnecting any other devices that utilize a drive assignment?

Let me know if this is the issue!

E-
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I only have one HD a CD drive, and a DVD drive. I tried assigning later drive letters to the CD drives (ie K and L) but that made no difference. I never thought to change the C drive, but I imagine thats not such a good idea. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for replying
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvin313 View Post
I only have one HD a CD drive, and a DVD drive. I tried assigning later drive letters to the CD drives (ie K and L) but that made no difference. I never thought to change the C drive, but I imagine thats not such a good idea. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for replying
The only other thought I have if you are sure that mass storage is enable is your virus protection is shutting it down. You may want to review those settings. Also if you have media card reader will the PC recognize the card when it's attached directly?

Good Luck!

E-
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Disabling Norton doesn't appear to help.
When I put the micro-SD in an adapter, the computer is able to read and manipulate the files on it no problem. There is definetely a problem somewhere between the communication between the computer and the BB.... or seems to be, at any rate.
I appreciate your quick responses.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Thatzmister2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 5,890
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvin313 View Post
Disabling Norton doesn't appear to help.
When I put the micro-SD in an adapter, the computer is able to read and manipulate the files on it no problem. There is definetely a problem somewhere between the communication between the computer and the BB.... or seems to be, at any rate.
I appreciate your quick responses.

Ok, last ditch "Hail Mary" pass cause I am going to bed. Double check that mass storage is enabled on the phone. Hint you should not be able to see the card with Desktop manager if it is. After checking try a battery pull while the device is on and then try reconnecting. The only other suggestion is to deinstall Desktop Manager and try reinstalling (I would suggest version 4.2 sp2)

Good luck and I'll try and check back in the morning!

E-
__________________
Unlocked | AT&T BES
*gasp* Un-protected...


www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mass storage is for sure enabled. The card still does not show up in explorer or media manager. This is unchanged with a battery-pull.
I am going to try a clean uninstall-reinstall and pray that will clear this up. I should be able to report back by tomorrow sometime.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 9
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm following this, I'm having the same problem

I've got a T-Mobile 8320, mass storage mode doesn't work with my 2gb card.
I'm using Windows XP, BES server.

When I first connected it, with Desktop Manager 4.2, it didn't recognize the device at all. I upgraded to 4.3, still no luck. I had to manually tell windows XP where to find the USB Driver for the 8320. Not fun.

I still can't see the files on the micro SD. Uninstalled 4.3, and I downgraded to 4.2.2.14 (without media manager, I don't think I need this, I'm comfortable with folders).
When I plugged in the device it detected a mass storage device, and blackberry smartphone device, but there's no removable disk or drive letter to get at the memory card.

I'm ready to wipe the device completely and reinstall the OS.

Edit: its not the drive letter problem.

Last edited by matty5490 : 03-03-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
dhollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississippi
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 260
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvin313 View Post
Hello,

I have searched through the technical bulletins and the forums, but still have not managed to find a solution to this problem, so I am hoping some community experience will help out here

I own a Blackberry Curve 8320 and have a 2GB Kingston SD card in it. The Blackberry can detect the card and use the storage space on it just fine, but my computer cannot detect the memory card (it can connect to the BB just fine) at all. In other words, when I connect the BB to my computer, no mass storage device is detected, but I can put files on the BB's internal memory (a mere 2 and a bit MBs large) but cannot access the SD card.

I have the latest OS on the BB, 4.2 SP2 for desktop manager, and all the latest updates for Windows Vista. Mass Storage Mode is set to "On", and I am unable to find the BB in "B" drive in computer management.

I am at my wits end, is there anything else here that I haven't tried, or that I have overlooked which might get it to work as a USB mass storage device?

Thank you
I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what was going on until I took a look at my phone while it was plugged into the usb port of my laptop and there was this message "Do you want to turn on mass storage mode? YES or NO"

I simply clicked yes and I was able to access the media card through windows explorer. I had never noticed this message before.

I'm also running Windows Vista. Mines is located on F: drive.
__________________
The BEST place to start IS.....
http://www.blackberryforums.com/search.php

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok, did a clean uninstall-reinstall of the desktop manager, but still no luck.
dhollins: I haven't seen that option come up on my BB when I connect it to the computer, but I will try to see if I can prompt it to show up at some point.

It doesn't seem to make any sense, because Windows detects the BB just fine, and the BB detects the SD card just fine. It could very well be that I need that pop-up to prompt me to allow turn on mass storage mode, but it has not happened yet.
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
dhollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississippi
Model: 9700
OS: 5.0.0.330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 260
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Delvin,

When you go to options/media card what settings do you have? Make sure that "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" is not set to No. Put it to Yes or either Prompt. I believe you said you already had Media Card Support set to on, right?
This is what I have.....

MEDIA CARD SUPPORT: ON
ENCRYPTION MODE: NONE
MASS STORAGE MODE SUPPORT: ON
AUTO ENABLE MASS STORAGE MODE WHEN CONNECTED: PROMPT

Hope that helps.
__________________
The BEST place to start IS.....
http://www.blackberryforums.com/search.php

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 7
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

dhollins,

Yeah, those are the settings my BB is set to. I can't tell you how many times I've double- triple- etc checked that LOL. Thanks for your reply. I get the feeling that I'm missing something simple, but I can't imagine what that might be at this point.
Offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the same exact problem. I'm starting to think this is hardware problem. Let me know if you find an answer.

Thanks!
Offline  
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.219
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 23
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Me Too!

Ugh, me too! I had a BB8320 and i cant mount the microsd from either my mac or windows machine. I've tried everything? Bad hardware perhaps?
I had an 8310 for a short period and mass storage mode worked fine. Any one have any ideas? Ira
Offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm in the same boat.... Guess no one found a solution?
__________________
Thanks

Flyfsh71
Offline  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

same boat here.....no solution yet :(
Offline  
Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 13
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Finally got Media Manager to show my micro media card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichavis View Post
Ugh, me too! I had a BB8320 and i cant mount the microsd from either my mac or windows machine. I've tried everything? Bad hardware perhaps?
I had an 8310 for a short period and mass storage mode worked fine. Any one have any ideas? Ira
I was having the same problem and could not load music to my 4G micro card. Was not able to get Media manager to show the card in device settings. I removed desktop manager and media manager from my computer and then downloaded and installed desktop bundle 4.3 with media manger from blackberry site. Works like a charm. Roxio software is not real smooth even when it is working. It is easier to load files to your memory card by simply using windows explorer and finding card listed as a drive. Just copy and paste files into blackberry folder of your choice. Good luck.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
anu
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cannot detect media card, 1 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfsh71 View Post
I'm in the same boat.... Guess no one found a solution?
Has anyone been able to find the solution of detecting the Media Card either in the Media Manager or as a bulk storage device. I have tried 100's of times all possible combinations, Desktop Manager 4.2, 4.3 etc but without success. The only way I think now is to remove the card and try it through a card reader.
Offline  
Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido
Posts: 3
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer13440 View Post
I was having the same problem and could not load music to my 4G micro card. Was not able to get Media manager to show the card in device settings. I removed desktop manager and media manager from my computer and then downloaded and installed desktop bundle 4.3 with media manger from blackberry site. Works like a charm. Roxio software is not real smooth even when it is working. It is easier to load files to your memory card by simply using windows explorer and finding card listed as a drive. Just copy and paste files into blackberry folder of your choice. Good luck.
didn't work for me, I have also tried many combinations, 4.2 DM, 4.3 latest firmware....i am starting to believe that this is how they are designing these BB's now, so they are forcing you to use the BB Desktop Manager software. It would be too easy if you could use Mass storage device in my computer. I have given up on this, I believe newer models are designed this way and we have to use the Desktop Manager from BlackBerry....oh well ....
Offline  
Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
CrackBerry Addict
 
CBR900RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 676
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You guys can also try different usb cable and also different usb port, maybe different computer for the mass storage mode.
__________________
.T...Mobile. BB 8220
OS v4.6.0.180
DM v4.2.2.14 SP2
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.