BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8300r
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 14
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Micro SD card encryption, can someone tell me how to do this.

Please Login to Remove!

I have BB 8300, I thought I could setup my Micro SD card to encrypt the files I put on it. I have gone into options/media card and setup

Media Card Support: on
Encrypton mode: Security password and device
Encrypt media files: on
mass storage mode support: on
auto enable mass storage mode when connected: yes

I have these settings on but when I shut down my BB and take out the micro sd card and put it into another computer my files are visable. Should I not be able to encrypt the files so if someone takes out the sd micro card they cant view the files.

If anyone can point me to a link to set this up properly it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackBerry Genius
 
hdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Posts: 6,631
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilroyy View Post
I have BB 8300, I thought I could setup my Micro SD card to encrypt the files I put on it. I have gone into options/media card and setup

Media Card Support: on
Encrypton mode: Security password and device
Encrypt media files: on
mass storage mode support: on
auto enable mass storage mode when connected: yes

I have these settings on but when I shut down my BB and take out the micro sd card and put it into another computer my files are visable. Should I not be able to encrypt the files so if someone takes out the sd micro card they cant view the files.

If anyone can point me to a link to set this up properly it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy
Have you added any files since you enabled encryption? Pre-existing files won't get encrypted.
Offline  
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8300r
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 14
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes I have added files. I first formated the drive card then hooked it up and used media manager to add a few pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
Have you added any files since you enabled encryption? Pre-existing files won't get encrypted.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the same problem with an 8830. All files, pre or post encryption, are visible if you simply remove the micro SD card and read it on any PC using an SD USB reader adapter, with no password whatever. Pretty useless as security since anyone who can figure out how to get your media card out can read all your files easily without knowing the password to your BB. I would be grateful to know if there is any software that can effectively encrypt the media card.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What version of desktop manager are you using? It looks like only 4.2.1 supports encrypting / decrypting on the fly while Roxio Media Manager (Desktop Manager v4.3) does not.

BlackBerry Search Results
<snip>
Only the the Media Manager for BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.2.1 will read encrypted files. Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones uses USB Mass Storage and currently does not support encrypted media cards.
<snip>

Try taking pictures with the phone, saving to the card and then connecting to the computer to show the files. They should have a .jpg.rem extension to show they are encrypted. If you copy these to your computer via windows explorer, you will not be able to open them. However, if you copy them using desktop manager 4.2.1 they will decrypt and you will be able to open them

-DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilroyy View Post
Yes I have added files. I first formated the drive card then hooked it up and used media manager to add a few pictures.
Offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: 8300r
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Posts: 14
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes I have confirmed this, reverting back to Desktop 4.2.1 does allow you to move files from your computer to your Blackberry and have them encrypeted.

Thanks for the tip, don't know why they added Roxio without making sure this could at least be an option.

Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRGallagher View Post
What version of desktop manager are you using? It looks like only 4.2.1 supports encrypting / decrypting on the fly while Roxio Media Manager (Desktop Manager v4.3) does not.

BlackBerry Search Results
<snip>
Only the the Media Manager for BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.2.1 will read encrypted files. Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones uses USB Mass Storage and currently does not support encrypted media cards.
<snip>

Try taking pictures with the phone, saving to the card and then connecting to the computer to show the files. They should have a .jpg.rem extension to show they are encrypted. If you copy these to your computer via windows explorer, you will not be able to open them. However, if you copy them using desktop manager 4.2.1 they will decrypt and you will be able to open them

-DG
Offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Posts: 18
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there another way to prevent unauthorised access to a SD card? Folder lock, password protection? Encryption is great but moving back to an old version of Dm is not ideal.

Thank you for your advice.
Offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Truecrypt

TRuecrypt seems to be the best way to do this. Users in my enterprise are beginning to ask for SD card use and I have finally began looking into the issue. Truecrypt seems to be the best solution on an individual basis though I still have not found a free/cheap enterprise mechanism.

L
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright © 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.