VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE BLACKBERRY CURVE SMARTPHONE
March 31, 2008
Sophisticated Full-QWERTY BlackBerry Curve 8330 Delivers Uncompromising Communications, Rich Multimedia Features, VZ Navigator and Broadband Speeds
LAS VEGAS, BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and WATERLOO, Ontario – Ahead of CTIA WIRELESS 2008, Verizon Wireless, the owner and operator of the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, today announced the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone will be available in May. Packaged in a liquid silver-colored finish with chrome highlights, smooth edges and soft curves, the BlackBerry Curve 8330 is backed by Verizon Wireless’ high-speed Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) network. This small and light smartphone has rich multimedia capabilities and is VZ NavigatorSM-capable. VZ Navigator is Verizon Wireless’ location-based service that offers customers mapping, audible turn-by-turn navigation and access to information on more than 14 million points of interest.
The BlackBerry Curve 8330, RIM’s smallest and lightest full-QWERTY smartphone, combines stylish looks with the tools people need to manage their professional responsibilities, maintain personal communications and entertain their senses.
The BlackBerry Curve 8330 offers the following capabilities and key features:
• Small and light design that is easy to handle and use; measures 4.2” x 2.4” x 0.6”and weighs only 4 ounces
• Large, vibrant 320 x 240 display, with light sensing technology that automatically adjusts brightness for optimal viewing in outdoor, indoor, and dark environments
• Responsive, highly-tactile full-QWERTY keyboard and RIM’s intuitive trackball navigation system
• Premium phone features including: noise cancellation technology to offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated “send,” “end,” and “mute” keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth® 2.0, with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets (Bluetooth stereo audio profile A2DP/AVRCP), car kits and other Bluetooth accessories
• 2.0 megapixel camera with support for video recording*, self-portrait mirror, enhanced flash and 5X zoom
• Easy access to the popular Facebook® for BlackBerry® Smartphones application
• 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack and dedicated volume controls
• Advanced media player and enhanced desktop media manager software that makes it easy to move media files between a PC and the BlackBerry Curve 8330 – USB Data Cable comes in-box
• MicroSD™/SDHC memory card slot, providing plenty of additional storage (up to 8 GB)
• HTML web browser delivers a fast, rich browsing experience and supports streaming video from sites like m.youtube.com (3GPP RTSP streaming protocol over EV-DO)
• A removable, rechargeable battery, rated for up to 260 minutes of talk time and up to 11 days of standby time
• In-box accessories include: a stereo headset, travel charger and premium tote sleeve
The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone is supported by BlackBerry® Internet Service that gives customers access to up to 10 supported POP3 and IMAP personal and corporate e-mail accounts, including most popular ISP e-mail accounts. It is also supported by BlackBerry® Professional Software for small businesses and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments.
The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone will be available at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless
and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $269.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the handset is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase. Customers who purchase a Verizon Wireless Nationwide voice plan can also subscribe to the E-Mail and Web for BlackBerry plan for an additional $29.99 per month while those opting for a data-only plan can pay $34.99 per month for unlimited e-mail and access to the Internet.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless
. Business customers should contact a Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representative directly at 1-800-VZW-4BIZ.
* Video recording requires a microSD memory card, sold separately.
(Editor's Note: High-resolution images of the BlackBerry Curve 8330 are available by clicking on the “Image Library” link at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia