Hey everyone, I just got a Blackberry Curve 8330 (OS is v126.96.36.199 I think)on VZW the other day and I'm lovin' it as well as this site. I came from a Treo 650 and this is a world of a difference..the PDA is nice and light and small (although I will miss the touch screen/stylus at times) and it is very useful and stylish.
Still learning some of the advanced things and I therefore have a few questions that maybe someone can help me clear up..I'm sure a lot of other people could benefit from answers to these as well. I searched but there's just so many results on so many different sites that it's hard to find exact answers for my specific BB model..so here we go, bare with me:
1. I was reading the 83xx theme installation instruction thread (here) and it mentions that the themes should be .alx files for 83xx phones, yet all the themes I see here for the 83xx ones are .jad files only for OTA install, (which works fine) but I was wondering where these .alx version of some themes are for use with the Desktop Mgr and the USB cable (just curious).
2. How come I delete new mails from Hotmail when I receive them on my BB phone, but sometimes they don't delete in my actual Hotmail inbox when I go check it on a computer?? It's set to delete on both...I don't get it? Every few e-mails I receive and delete from the BB, this seems to happen...
3. Somewhat related to the previous question, is there any way to set e-mail filters if you aren't on an Enterprise Server? Also, is there ANY way to have your Hotmail Junk E-mail folder get sent to your BB as well? It seems that messages in Junk E-mail folders do not get sent to BB devices (because sometimes you get e-mails in there that you need and that don't belong in the Junk folder).
4. Is there ANY possible way to have the keyboard stay lit up all the time? I know the light sensor thing can be useful for ease-of-sight and maybe power saving, but I'd rather have it lit up with the screen backlight all the time and never shut off or dim when I'm using the phone (I know this is not a regular option anywhere on the phone that I can find).
5. I realize that you have to actually close an app or menu in the phone to have it not be running in the background (seen in the Alt+Escape menu), but is there any way to set the phone to actually just close out of the program like most would think it would do just by hitting the end button or by not actually closing the program everytime (basically not having to bring up the menu and clicking close everytime..can be annoying)?
6. The only site I found a download of a BB version of AIM (to have the app with the icon right on the BB desktop) seems to say that it is not compatible with my device. Is there anywhere to get AIM on my desktop for my phone?
7. Is there any keyboard shortcut or quick way to dim the backlight at a moment's notice and vice versa like the Treos do?
8. Do the 8330s have the possibility for the extra trackball colors like the Pearls do, or not possible?
9. Is it just my BB that does this, or more of you?...most of the times when I'm holding the device and typing with both hands or clicking the trackball, I can feel the battery cover on the back being pushed in slightly from the force of my fingers pushing against the back of the phone in order to type..makes it feel flimsy and cheap and I wish the cover were more solid and set in place when the need for your fingers to push against it comes up.
10. Is there any way to make the phone's regular call log display the time and date and length of a call if you have it set to not receive call logs as messages? If you cannot view this information on the regular non-message form of the call log, that's pretty ridiculous.
11. Is there any way to make the screen light up when a text, e-mail, or mms is received like on most phones? It just makes the sound/vibrates but stays black...kinda weird.
12. Although I have auto-dimming off and screen brightness set at 100%, every once in a while the screen will light up even brighter than normal and then dim back to normal (or even darker than normal, hard to tell at the time). Can anybody explain this? Basically it's changing brightnesses sometimes even though it definitely should not be. I think I've read of a similar situation before as well so it's not just me.
13. Is it just me or is there no way to silence the phone sounds at one's will? Like a quiet mode (not just the ringer)..like whether it is in normal, quiet, vibrate, etc.. modes, it still plays music out loud when you use the mp3 player, it still makes the camera shutter noise, as well as a few other sounds I think. Is there any way to have a silent mode?? Also, is there any way to disable the camera shutter noise permanently?
14. Are there keyboard shortcuts to lock the keyboard and/or phone?
I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon, but for now I would appreciate any help with the above ones. Thanks so much and be gentle...I tried to figure them all out before-hand!