BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 2
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Water broke my T-Mobile Curve: What should I do now?

Please Login to Remove!

Long story short, my curve is broken due to water damage. It was in the water for 10 seconds, I dried it out, tried the rice trick, but after two days it still doesn't work. I have come to terms that I have to buy a new phone. What are my options?

Should I ask for a replacement and send my phone back to them? I saw a couple stories online that said that if you send back a water damaged phone to tmobile, you have to pay for a new (refurbished) phone, and you have a $100 fee for liquid damage. Is this true?

Should I just report the phone lost/stolen, and buy a refurbished phone from them?

Or should I take it into the local store and try and bargain with them for a new phone? I have had my curve for less than a month (no insurance by the way).

Anyone have any idea which would be the cheapest way?
I have checked eBay and craigslist and I could get one for $250-$300 maybe. Anyone know the price I would be from tmobile for a curve 8320?
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
greggebhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FLorida
Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 3,762
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So you are asking us to decide on if you should be honest or not?

LOL!
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator
 
NJBlackBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 27,891
Post Thanks: 32
Thanked 454 Times in 390 Posts
Default

Be honest?
You broke it; buy another one.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
ubizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Model: 9780
OS: 6.0.0.600
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile
Posts: 423
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

It happened to me recently. I've been with T-mobile since 2003. I went into the store and said I need a new Curve but don't want to pay the retail price. I pointed out it would be cheaper to pay the $200 contract cancellation, go to ATT, and get a new Curve for $99 than to pay the sticker price for a replacement. They got the message and made a more attractive deal. Try it.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta
Model: 8330
OS: 4.5.0.138
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Posts: 13,962
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Be honest about it. If you lie about it Karma will get you.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Johnny909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sherwood
Model: 8310
OS: 4.5.0.124
PIN: Worms
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 377
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile. ~Plato
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
fireboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North West Indiana
Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 32
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree, be honest. Not sure if your carrier offers a protection plan, but mine with Sprint would cover this type of incident. Whatever you do, get that plan it is well worth a no questions asked replacement.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 204
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumby05 View Post
Long story short, my curve is broken due to water damage. It was in the water for 10 seconds, I dried it out, tried the rice trick, but after two days it still doesn't work. I have come to terms that I have to buy a new phone. What are my options?

Should I ask for a replacement and send my phone back to them? I saw a couple stories online that said that if you send back a water damaged phone to tmobile, you have to pay for a new (refurbished) phone, and you have a $100 fee for liquid damage. Is this true?

Should I just report the phone lost/stolen, and buy a refurbished phone from them?

Or should I take it into the local store and try and bargain with them for a new phone? I have had my curve for less than a month (no insurance by the way).

Anyone have any idea which would be the cheapest way?
I have checked eBay and craigslist and I could get one for $250-$300 maybe. Anyone know the price I would be from tmobile for a curve 8320?
Inside your phone should be a water intrusion detector. There is one in my T-Mobile curve. It is a little white square piece of paper. If water comes in contact with it, the paper should turn pink. So, if you "negotiate" with T-Mobile and don't let them know that the phone suffered water damage, they will know anyways.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 188
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My thirty days is almost here with my AT&T 8310. This Thread makes me want to buy that $5/month insurance now.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
tonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: phx
Model: 8120
OS: 4.3
PIN: 245C5A4D
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 53
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post
Inside your phone should be a water intrusion detector. There is one in my T-Mobile curve. It is a little white square piece of paper. If water comes in contact with it, the paper should turn pink. So, if you "negotiate" with T-Mobile and don't let them know that the phone suffered water damage, they will know anyways.

I have swam with 2 of my phones and that white sticker does not always turn pink. But my suggestion is to pay the $200 term fee and go to an authorized dealer to activate a new line. There are a few online dealers offering a free curve right now and it would be brand new.

Free Cell Phones & Cell Phone Service - T-Mobile and more.
__________________
's 7100~7105t~8700g~8100~8800~8320~8120
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
!3unn!3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: miami
Model: 8830
PIN: 31A318E2
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 134
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Know what I'd probably look into that 5-7 or w/e $/month for insurance! ;-D
__________________
PIN-31A318E2
AIM-Ketelxone
E-mail-- [email address]
Name- Mike
Loves BBF!!
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 204
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonj View Post
I have swam with 2 of my phones and that white sticker does not always turn pink. But my suggestion is to pay the $200 term fee and go to an authorized dealer to activate a new line. There are a few online dealers offering a free curve right now and it would be brand new.

Free Cell Phones & Cell Phone Service - T-Mobile and more.
Good to know. The last two times I had to do a swap of my BB under warranty, I have always been asked right off the bat, "what color is that piece of paper by the battery?" When I say white, they say "perfect, we can start the paper work to swap your phone for free under warranty." Now, I will be less worried in case my phone accidentally gets water damaged as the water detector in the phone does not seem to be that reliable.

Last edited by Ramsy : 06-26-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
tonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: phx
Model: 8120
OS: 4.3
PIN: 245C5A4D
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 53
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by !3unn!3 View Post
Know what I'd probably look into that 5-7 or w/e $/month for insurance! ;-D
Tmobile will only allow him to add the insurance within the first 14 days. Tmobile does allow there BB users a 30 day grace period from time of purchase. Since you are within this period that might help in the negotiations for a new phone.

Supervisors have alot more flexibility, so don't let it die with the rep telling you "nocando".
__________________
's 7100~7105t~8700g~8100~8800~8320~8120
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
!3unn!3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: miami
Model: 8830
PIN: 31A318E2
Carrier: Sprint
Posts: 134
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ask for store manager they seem to be a little more understanding..
__________________
PIN-31A318E2
AIM-Ketelxone
E-mail-- [email address]
Name- Mike
Loves BBF!!
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8900
OS: 4.6
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Posts: 184
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Get insurance, wait if you didn't have it before, ask for a new one. This way it will be ~$140 or so instead of $450 or whatever the Retail is.
Offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
tonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: phx
Model: 8120
OS: 4.3
PIN: 245C5A4D
Carrier: Tmo
Posts: 53
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
Get insurance, wait if you didn't have it before, ask for a new one. This way it will be ~$140 or so instead of $450 or whatever the Retail is.

The deductible through Asurion is $110, and does not cover water damage.
__________________
's 7100~7105t~8700g~8100~8800~8320~8120
Offline  




Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.