BlackBerry Forums Support Community               

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 8320 wifi problems - yellow circlie/no wifi

Please Login to Remove!

I am having some problems with the wifi on my 8320, sometimes it works fine and other times for no reason it wont connect.
The little wifi icon goes gray and I can only connect through my service provider.
I am using an unlocked tmobile 8320 on rogers network.
I have a lynksis g router which has no problem reaching all corner of my house.
When I go into manager connections, the wifi circle is yellow with a line through it. When I scan for a network and choose it, it says connection successful.

In wifi diagnostics i get:
Wi-Fi
-74dBm
54Mbps
Network acquired

VPM
Authentication (X'd out)
Error:Link down

UMA
Connection (X'd out)
Error Code W006.1
Status: ISP or TMobile Error
***and then it just changed on me to:
Connection: black circle
UMA wi-fi avaliable:black circle
Error Code: W010
Wifi association failed

Blackberry Infrastructure
Connecting (X'd out)
Auth. router : (Black circle)
Auth. server (Black circle)

Now I am new to this, and I do not want to use anything other then my standard wifi to access the web so I do not know if any of those other error codes matter to me or not, but my wifi icon on the home screen is grey'd out and I cannot connect through wifi.


If more information is needed please post.... I hope someone can help me.
Thanks!
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I rebooted the phone and now the connection is a go:
Here are the changes in the wifi diagnostic:
WIFI: (all the same)
VPN:disabled instead of error
UMA: (all the same - W006.1 error)
BLACKBERRY INFRASTRUCTURE: all green checks.

So apparently the Blackberry Infrastructure is where the problem occurs.
Does anyone know why this would happen and how I can fix it when it does without pulling my battery?
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, your phone is basically a computer and if you never reboot a computer it will do strange things.

Even RIM recommends you reboot your Blackberry a couple times per week.

As for the wi-fi errors those would be something you'd need to resolve between your Blackberry and the wireless router you're trying to connect to. Check the FAQ for a list of the different error codes and what they mean.

Dave

Last edited by sgtcasey : 07-26-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Model: 9530
OS: 4.7.0.XXX
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.
Posts: 5,515
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wirelessly posted (TMO 8120 4.5.0.52)

Battery pull is probably your best option. Keep an eye out if it becomes a problem and report back.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It happens constantly though, I don't want to be ripping my battery out 5/10 times a day.
It's about 50/50 on working and not working when I check it.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_epchtein View Post
It happens constantly though, I don't want to be ripping my battery out 5/10 times a day.
It's about 50/50 on working and not working when I check it.
If you're having problems keeping a wi-fi signal then look into the wireless hardware you're trying to use. Also look out for sources of interference with wireless connections.

Google will turn up some good reading.

Dave
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
If you're having problems keeping a wi-fi signal then look into the wireless hardware you're trying to use. Also look out for sources of interference with wireless connections.

Google will turn up some good reading.

Dave
I have no problems with my router or anything interfering.
I have a number of items connected to my wifi connection including laptops, a wii, and my iphone none of which are experiencing any connection problems and never have.
In addition my WIFI connection shows no errors in the diagnostic, it shows it is running and connected smoothly
The BB Infrastructure is the problem.

Last edited by lena_epchtein : 07-26-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_epchtein View Post
I have no problems with my router or anything interfering.
Something is causing your wireless connection to drop, yes? It most certainly can be your wireless router. Google Apple Airport Extreme and Blackberry when you get a chance. A lot of folks with those wireless routers had nothing but problems with their Blackberry devices.

Quote:
I have a number of items connected to my wifi connection including laptops, a wii, and my iphone none of which are experiencing any connection problems and never have.
None of those devices = a Blackberry.

Quote:
In addition my WIFI connection shows no errors in the diagnostic, it shows it is running and connected smoothly
The BB Infrastructure is the problem.
The BB infrastructure has nothing to do with your wireless connection. Perhaps I'm simply confused as to what the issue you're seeing. From your first post it seems to me you're complaining that your Blackberry won't stay connected to your wireless network.

Dave
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, that is what I am saying.
The only difference between when my wifi is working and when it isnt working is under the BB infrastructure.
When BB infrast. is connected, wifi works fine.
When BB infrast. errors, wifi isnt working.


(or maybe its vice versa)
but thats the only difference I see under wifi diagnostic when wifi is/isnt working

Last edited by lena_epchtein : 07-26-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_epchtein View Post
Yes, that is what I am saying.
The only difference between when my wifi is working and when it isnt working is under the BB infrastructure.
When BB infrast. is connected, wifi works fine.
When BB infrast. errors, wifi isnt working.


(or maybe its vice versa)
but thats the only difference I see under wifi diagnostic when wifi is/isnt working
The Blackberry Infrastructure settings are merely letting you know if you do or do not have a connection over Wi-Fi to the BIS servers. If your Wi-Fi is not working then naturally you will not be connected to the BIS servers over Wi-Fi. Hence the red x's.

You're going to Wi-Fi diagnostics, so the information you see will be related to Wi-Fi, not the regular EDGE connection your phone has.

If you want to see how you are connected to the various things (like BIS and voice) a better place to check would be Manage Connections > Services Status.

Dave
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Under services status there is no change whether wifi is connecting or not.
The wifi network section says
active profile:Home
SSID: lena
Type:802.11b/g
It says this both when the connection is and isnt working. No change.


In the last 15/20 minutes it has already gone off 3 times on its own.
Once I pulled the battery and it came back on, the second time it connected for a split second and flicked back off and the 3rd time it just turned itself back on after about 3 minutes.

I have not moved the phone more then a foot (to look at it, then put it back down beside me) and nothing else in the house around me has changed (nothing has connected/disconnected or moved)

Last edited by lena_epchtein : 07-26-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_epchtein View Post
Under services status there is no change whether wifi is connecting or not.
The wifi network section says
active profile:Home
SSID: lena
Type:802.11b/g
It says this both when the connection is and isnt working. No change.
Mine does the same thing.

I turn off Wi-Fi and under Services Status I still have my wireless router information.

Quote:
In the last 15/20 minutes it has already gone off 3 times on its own.
Once I pulled the battery and it came back on, the second time it connected for a split second and flicked back off and the 3rd time it just turned itself back on after about 3 minutes.

I have not moved the phone more then a foot (to look at it, then put it back down beside me) and nothing else in the house around me has changed (nothing has connected/disconnected or moved)
There certainly is something going on with your wireless connection. What type of router are you using?

Dave
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 19
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's a lynksys
If its a problem with my router why are none of my other devices experiencing problems?
Offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.55
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 1,461
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_epchtein View Post
It's a lynksys
If its a problem with my router why are none of my other devices experiencing problems?
You're right. It can't possibly be anything else. Your Blackberry is broken. You should return it.

Dave
Offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: globe
Posts: 1
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

same thing happened to me , after a week into the new 4.5 OS from Orange , tried several battery pulls but the problem stays, also tried reconnecting to my home wifi but it still happens, am connected via but no internet. I tried downgrading to 4.2 and everythiing is back to normal . I will try reinstalling a freshly downloaded 4.5 again .
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Copyright 2004-2014 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.