Originally Posted by http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05 482&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=79765667&stateId=0 %200%2079767243
The following audio formats (including extensions) are supported:
* ACC - audio compression formats AAC, AAC+, and EAAC+
* AMR - Adaptive Multi Rate-Narrow Band (AMR-NB) speech coder standard
Supported AMR-NB rates are 4.75 KBps, 5.15 KBps, 5.9 KBps, 6.7 KBps, 7.4 KBps, 7.95 KBps, 10.2 KBps, and 12.2 KBps.
AMR files must conform to the standards specified in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments (RFC) document RFC3267, Section 5, on the the Internet RFC Archive web site.
* MIDI - Polyphonic MIDI (.mid, .midi, or .smf)
* MP3 - encoded using MPEG Part 1 and Part 2 audio layer 3
Supported sample rates are 16kHz, 22.050kHz, 24kHz, 32kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz.
* WAV - supports sample rates of 8 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, and 48 kHz with 8-bit and 16-bit depths in mono or stereo
WAV files created using audio codec GSM6.10 are supported. However, BlackBerry 8830 series smartphones do not natively support Global Systems for Mobile Communications® (GSM®) encoding and require the BlackBerry Attachment Service from either the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or the BlackBerry® Internet Service. See KB13547 for more information.
Note: Playback of WAV files received as email message attachments requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2.
Note: If the BlackBerry smartphone user has a BlackBerry Internet Service 2.3 account with BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 or later, WAV voice mail files will work.
Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Standard Profile Decoder
* WMA 10 Professional M0 Profile Decoder
WMA 9 Profile Decoder and WMA 10 M0 Profile Decoder are only supported by BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 or later. See KB05419 for more information.
The following audio file extensions are also supported:
* .avi containing PCM, MP3, and AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
* .3gp containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
* .mp4 containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
* .mov containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
* .aac and .m4a containing AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+
Note: Support is available for streaming stereo audio over a Bluetooth® connection (A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles) on the following BlackBerry smartphone models:
* BlackBerry 8310 smartphone
* BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 18.104.22.168 or later)
* BlackBerry® 8800 smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
* BlackBerry Curve 8300 smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
* BlackBerry Pearl 8120 smartphone
* BlackBerry Pearl 8130 smartphone
Note: DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright protected files will not play on BlackBerry smartphones.
The following video formats are supported:
* MPEG-4 Part 2 - Simple Profile + bvops (including DivX® files in this format)
* H.263 Profile 0 and Profile 3 (Supported file formats are .avi, .3gp, .mp4, .mov, Video - up to QCIF (176x144))
* WMV 9 Simple Profile Video Decoder
The following video file extensions are also supported:
* .avi containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
* .mov containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
* .3gp containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
* .mp4 containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
* .m4v containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
* .mpg containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263
Note: The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone is not able to play .avi files.